Vasudev
Participant
Registered since

Mar 17, 2021

Sound Touch 30 III , Pop sound in standby mode, smoke through the rear end of the speaker system.

Bose product name   

Sound Touch 30 III

Country  

India

Firmware Version

App Version

What devices were you using that were affected and what version are they on (e.g. Samsung Galaxy S9 on Android 11, iPhone X on iOS14, etc.)
None, the system freaked when it was in standby/power save mode.

Detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce

The speaker was in standby mode, i.e no music was being played. Out of blue there was pop sound (2 pops) , there was smoke from the rear bass vent.

The smell of smoke was similar to a electrolytic capacitor bursting.

We later unplugged and plugged it back again, everything appears fine!!!
The music system is fully functional. Am not sure what went wrong, we brought the system in Sep 2019, am presuming the system is out of warranty.

Can some one throw light on what could have gone wrong ?

Should this system be taken to service center for investigation ? and potentially get it fixed ? 
Would warranty for Passives apply in this case ?  

What environment do you experience the issue in? (e.g. noisy office, quiet kitchen, etc.)

Quite Hall.

When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously?

11 march 2021

Any troubleshooting steps you took

None

5 REPLIES 5
Hector_B

Re: Sound Touch 30 III , Pop sound in standby mode, smoke through the rear end of the speaker sys...

Hello Vasudev, 

Please avoid connecting the speaker to back power. If you could please reach out to us via the Contact Us page here, our team will be able to look into this issue further for you. 

I'd recommend contacting the team at 9 am as soon as the lines open for the shortest wait times. 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Vasudev
Participant
Registered since

Mar 17, 2021

Re: Sound Touch 30 III , Pop sound in standby mode, smoke through the rear end of the speaker sys...

Sure will do so. The system is now unplugged. And will post how the call to support help line  went through.

Thank you

Vasudev
Participant
Registered since

Mar 17, 2021

Hi, I tried calling the Bose Service number in India : 1 800 891 2940, for good part since morning to afternoon IST.  There is no response, except for elevator music.

Is there a alternative number ?

Thank you.

Vicky_W

@Vasudev, I am sorry to hear this. Please reach out to the team between 9am - 6pm Monday to Saturday and they will be able to help. I am sorry for the delay in answering. 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Vasudev
Participant
Registered since

Mar 17, 2021

Sorry, no one is picking up the phone at BOSE service India #