Sound bar 700 lip sync issues on Dolby Digital

Quiet Contributor

Sound bar 700 lip sync issues on Dolby Digital

Hi All

I'm new on hear. I've had a few Bose products before and really please with them, but now I'm tearing my hair out (I've not much left).

I've had various Yamaha home theatre systems for the past 15 years and never had a problem with them. But liked the simple look and the sound of the Soundbar 700, Bass unit and surround speakers. So I jumped in and bought the lot. Really pleased with the system bar one issue.

LIP SYNC Agghhhhhhh!!!!!

I have a 6 months old Philips TV 50PUS7383. Inputs are Apple TV 4k, Playstation Pro, Virgin Media box and a Nintendo Switch. So all the HDMI's on the TV are used. Therfore I've connected the sound bar via optical.

If any of the sources are sending Dolby stereo all is well. But Dolby Digital and all goes too **bleep**. The lip sync is way out. All the sources are the same. I've tried using one of the HDMI arc's and still the same. Changing audio delay in the bose app and on the TV. Also tried the TV setting to Dolby digital and Dolby digital bypass, the sync is still out. Only way I can get it to work is by changing the TV to output PCM stereo.

Surely this isnt right. I've spent a fair amount of money on this and if it can only receive stereo it's not working to it's full potential. 

Before the Bose system the Yamaha setup was a decoder that all the HDMI's went to and then just one to the TV. All was good then. 

Have I really bought a pup that can't perform as well as my previous setup?

Please help.

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Sound bar 700 lip sync issues on Dolby Digital

Hi Paulgt, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community. 

The Soundbar 700 supports Dolby Digital and DTS, so you shouldn't be having these issues. Have you attempted to perform a product reset on the Soundbar and then attempt this again, this can be done via: 

• Turn the soundbar off
  • Unplug the soundbar power cord from the power outlet
  • Wait 30 seconds
  • Reconnect the power cord
  • Wait 30 seconds for the system to reboot

Kind Regards, 

Hector B - Community Support 

Quiet Contributor

Hi Hector

Thanks for the reply. Yes I have already tried this a few times. Also recycling power on all the devices. One thing I did notice is that If I turn off Auto optical power on and then restart the soundbar I get no sound (as expected). Then turn Auto optical power on from the app. The soundbar starts to work again and the lip sync is ok for a few hours and then starts to go out of sync again. Also noticed this after a software update. Seemed ok for aroud 24 hrs and then out again. Very confusing???

What is the impications of using just PCM. Am I right in that I'm not getting true surround sound?

Hi Paulgt, 

Thanks for posting and updating me on this. Does your TV have AV sync in the settings that you can adjust? 

Thanks. 

Hector B 

Audible Advocate

@paulgt wrote:

Hi All

I'm new on hear. I've had a few Bose products before and really please with them, but now I'm tearing my hair out (I've not much left).

I've had various Yamaha home theatre systems for the past 15 years and never had a problem with them. But liked the simple look and the sound of the Soundbar 700, Bass unit and surround speakers. So I jumped in and bought the lot. Really pleased with the system bar one issue.

LIP SYNC Agghhhhhhh!!!!!

I have a 6 months old Philips TV 50PUS7383. Inputs are Apple TV 4k, Playstation Pro, Virgin Media box and a Nintendo Switch. So all the HDMI's on the TV are used. Therfore I've connected the sound bar via optical.

If any of the sources are sending Dolby stereo all is well. But Dolby Digital and all goes too **bleep**. The lip sync is way out. All the sources are the same. I've tried using one of the HDMI arc's and still the same. Changing audio delay in the bose app and on the TV. Also tried the TV setting to Dolby digital and Dolby digital bypass, the sync is still out. Only way I can get it to work is by changing the TV to output PCM stereo.

Surely this isnt right. I've spent a fair amount of money on this and if it can only receive stereo it's not working to it's full potential. 

Before the Bose system the Yamaha setup was a decoder that all the HDMI's went to and then just one to the TV. All was good then. 

Have I really bought a pup that can't perform as well as my previous setup?

Please help

It does take a little time to decode Dolby Digital so that might be where the problem creeps in. But in general any extra audio delay helps overcome the much larger (usually) video delay from the flat screen technology (any flat screen technology). The BEST solutio  is to be sure ALL audio delays are OFF or set to ZERO and then use ONE to offset the video delay. For example your TV (I don't KNOW this) might add audio delay to offset its known video delay. If it does and the signal arrives in perfect sync (rare) it would stay that way  BUT if Dolby Digital decoding delays it further the audio may be delayed too much. See if you can set your TV delay to zero and then gradually increase it until sync is perfect.But if you get it pertfect for Dolby Digital it probably won't be for stereo unfurtunately. Here is the US where I am  TV signals  arrive all over the place. Sometimes audio even arrives delayed but normally I need about 120 ms audio delay. The BEST set up is to take the audio out to a digital delay as early as possible and on to your sound bar or sound system and let that external digital audio delay provide ALL delay needed.  That way you eliminate any audio delay your TV might add.  In addition some TV's (Notably Samsung models) without Dolby passthrough will limit audio to stereo on their HDMI inputs. They request stereo in the EDID for their HDMI inputs and consequently you can not get Dolby Digital on the TV audio outputs when the source is an HDMI input. What confuses thje issue is that you CAN get Dolby from the TV's internal tuner and/or streaming decoder. I use a Felston DD740 digital audio delay which accepts 4 digital audio sources and take its output directly to my sound system so the TV has no way to delay the audio or request stereo  instead of Dolby. I use HDMI only for video. I hope that helps. By the way, ARC is just a way of putting the s/pdif audio signal on an HDMI cable that has an extra conductor. I have never used ARC and strongly feel keeping the audio OUT of the TV's grasp is far less problematic.

Quiet Contributor

Hi

Yep the TV does have sync setting but even changing this does not help. 

Ta

Quiet Contributor

Hi Nickj

Thanks for your input. I guess my next test is to try fibre straight from say the Virgin box or apple TV to the soundbar. This will prove your suggestion and at least I have a plan of action. 

Ta

Hi Paulgt, 

Thanks for updating us on this. Please update me after you have tested the Fiber method. 

Kind Regards, 

Hector B 

Quiet Contributor

Hi Hector

Update - I've connected the virgin media box directly to the soundbar with fibre. All media was in sync. So just as suggested before the TV is causing the problem. Thanks to all for the help. At least I have a plan of action now. The Switch and Apple TV 4k don't have fibre output so need to think of a work around. I use a Harmony remote and therefore are planning on a fibre switcher and programing the remote to change to the correct audio source as and when. Was thinking of an audio extractor for the Apple TV 4k. The Nintendo Switch can play from the TV in PCM stereo.

Will update on the results.

Ta

Paul

Quiet Contributor

Well tried to sort the audio from Apple tv 4k. Bought a audio extractor from amazon and it didn't work. I do have another thought though. Does anyone know if I can use the HDMI input and the optical input? Thinking of a HDMI splitter just to get the audio from the Apple tv. All the other devices have an optical output (not bothered about the Nintendo switch).