Participant
Registered since

May 24, 2020

Sound bar 700 with iOS its too loud

Hi,

I have the soundboard 700 and base module. Everything works perfect but there is one strange thing: Let’s say the volume Is like 0 till 10. 0 is no sound and 10 is max. 

This is how it works now:

0 - no sound

1 - normal

2 - loud

3 - louder

4 - too loud 

5 - can’t even try

6 - etc. 
7 - etc. 

how comes the steps get so fast louder? I need smaller steps and this is very annoying. How can I fix this?

im using the latest versions iOS and OS X and happens with any app that plays sound. 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Sound bar 700 with iOS its too loud

Hi Bojan,

Welcome! Thanks for posting!

It's interesting that the soundbar gets too loud of you so quickly! While there isn't any way to change the size of the volume control steps I'd be happy to see what can be done to improve your experience with the volume!

As you mentioned this happening with iOS, what are you playing through the soundbar when this happens? Are you connected to the soundbar with Bluetooth, Airplay, or using the Bose Music app? 

Do you get the same jump in volume if you control the volume with the buttons on the remote and the volume buttons on your iPhone? Or does it increase differently depending on which you use?

I look forward to hearing back from you?

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Participant
Registered since

Aug 25, 2020

Hi Keith,

I came to this forum with the same question as Bojan. Is it possible to adjust the maximum volume (and sliders in the apps).
So i came accross this thread, i hope i'm not stealing this. But since this thread is relative new and i think i've the same experience as Bojan i post here with some additional information.

I start with some background information about my environment. Maybe some information is not relevant, in that case it may be ignored.
My Bose Soundbar 700 is placed on a media table in my living room before the television. This room is 4 meter by 10 meter long and around 2,60 meter in height. The Soundbar is connected with an ethernet cable to my home network. Different subnet and i use nat from other subnets to connect to the bose soundbar, but this is another subject for improvement 😉
The sound sources are macbook pro, iphone apps, ipad apps and apple tv.

Basic information about the sound level and the position of the slider in the Bose Music App.
At an acceptable level, somewhat louder then background, around 52 decibel the slider on the App is as following:
---x----------------

When i adjust the volume to a level that my neighbours can go complain i have around 70 decibel. The slider is as following:
------x-------------

Although nice to see the Bose Soundbar is far from it's maximum i cannot test any louder.

I've done a few different tests
- Open Spotify on my computer
- Open the Spotify App on my mobile & ipad
- Play Spotify from within the Bose Music App
- Play youtube/movie from Apple TV and sound from the Soundbar 700

To adjust the volume i used the:
- Bose Remote
- Volume up/down buttons on the phone/ipad
- Volume slider from within the Spotify app

I've used an app to measure the number of decibel at different volume settings. I used the Bose Remote to set a low volume and used the same song over and over again. Note that this is not a professional decibel meter and the music also have somewhat difference in decibel during the song.
But i think this does not matter for the following outcomes.

Test 1: Play music from the Spotify App on my computer using airplay
Test 2: Play music from the Spotify App on my mobile phone using airplay
Test 3: Play music from the Bose Music App using Spotify on mobile phone. Unknown if airplay is used.
Test 4: Play music from the Bose Music App using TuneIn on mopbile phone. Unknown if airplay is used.
Test 5: Play music from the Apple TV using the Youtube App. No airplay is used. Just wired from the television with an optical cable.

Result 1: Adjusting the volume with the Bose Remote Control.
In all of the tests the result is the same. I've pressed the volume up on the remote around 30 times. I see an increase of around 1 decibel per tick. Starting from 37 decibel at it's lowest to 74 decibel after 30 ticks. After that i stopped measuring since the volume was loud. The slider was around 40% of its maximum.

Conclusion 1:
The increase or decrease of the volume went fine using the Bose Remote Control. It looks like the volume increase/decrease is lineair. Maybe i'm wrong but this is until the volume slider in the Bose App is at 40% with an sound level of around 74 decibel.

Result 2: Adjusting the volume with the volume up/down buttons on the mobile phone/tablet.
In all of the tests i get almost the same result. The sound level in decibel changes from 37 to 72 in 4 or 5 steps. Thats an increase/decrease of around 10-12 decibel per tick on the volume button. I noticed the volume slider in the app moves also in bigger steps.
It's unclear to me where this logic takes place. Is this Apple (MacOS / iOS ) related or just App related in general or something in the code of Bose. I do not know.

Conclusion 2:
No real conclusion. Only an observation of the result above.

Result 3: Adjusting the volume with the slider in different apps
It's harder to control the slider on the mobile phone than an tablet. Due to the size of the slider according to the size of the screen.
But it's hard to control around (lets say 2 or 4 decibel increase/decrease) on all the apps. Since the room/bandwith of the slider is between 0% - 40%, after that its getting too loud.

Conclusion 3:
The size of the slider according to the (lineair?) increase/decrease of the volume is hard to control.

Result 4: Adjusting the volume with the Spotify App on the laptop/computer.
The variation of the slider in the desktop app of Spotify is different (And harder to control)
When i change the volume to a nice 50 decibel volume the slider is around 8%
--x---------------
The room to controle the volume is very small. It's impossible to change the volume, lets say 10 decibel lower.

Questions and/or suggestions
I hope there are some possibilities to have more control over a smaller variance in volume increase/decrease.
Maybe it's possible to:
- control the amount of sound increase/decrease with the volume up/down buttons.
- set a maximum volume level for different sliders. For example when i set a maximum level (according to lets say 70 or 80 decibel in my environment). In this case i've room with the slider to change the volume between 0 and 70/80 decibel over the whole length of the slider. That way there is more room to control with a slider.

I'll be happy to do more test or give more information if needed.

To close this post. Where can i send the following reproducible bug ?
While testing and playing music from the Spotify App on my mobile phone. Control the volume with the Bose Music App is not possible.
After less then a second the volume went to the original position Spotify was playing at. My expectation was that the volume of the sound went down. It does that for a small moment. Then the volume goes up again. Maybe it's a bug in the Spotify App or something in the Airplay implementation of Bose. I dont know.

I've seen this behaviour few times earlier. Last time was earlier this week at night. At some moment the volume went crazy, maybe over 100 decibel. Only thing i remember that it hurts. In a stress moment i used the Bose App to control the sound. But due to above 'bug?' i was unable to lower the sound. I've disconnected the power and the day after corrected it.

With kind regards,
PatrickH

Hi PatrickH, 

Thank you for reaching out to us and welcome! 

Thank you for all the extensive testing you have done in order to better understand the soundbar, this is certainly helpful! Based on all this information and the fact you can use the Bose remote to provide more ticks and at acceptable intervals, It would lead to this being a limitation of the source device and it's the ability to provide a limited number of ticks. This is likely more notable when using your Soundbar as it has the ability to be much louder. 

Thank you for raising this with us and I invite others from the community to respond and let us know if you are also experiencing this.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!