Highlighted
Zhoth
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 2, 2019

Soundbar 500 - Alexa not turning on tv

Hi guys,

I've just bought a Soundbar 500 and I have a problem with Alexa and my tv.

If I tell "Alexa, turn on the tv" nothing happens, but if the tv and the soundbar are turned on and I tell "Alexa, turn off the tv" then both the tv and the soundbar turn off.

I have connected the soundbar to the HDMI ARC port of my LG tv and the CEC is enabled. I have named "soundbar" the Bose 500 and in fact if I tell "Alexa, turn on the soundbar" it works perfectly.

Have you got any ideas on how to solve my problem?

Thanks a lot

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Soundbar 500 - Alexa not turning on tv

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Jessie_O

Hi ricke_44

Thank you for trying that and letting us know how it went. 

As the Alexa should just be turning the Soundbar on and off in this situation, the communication to the TV is handled by CEC, I can only think the fact it isn't always working would be down to a CEC inconsistency. As HDMI CEC is not standardised across all companies, there is always room for things to be a bit difficult with this.

However we do have a couple of things we can try. The first would be checking the CEC settings on your TV, some TVs will have options for turning CEC on and a separate option for Power Sync. On Panasonic's this is sometimes called 'Viera Sync', so it would be worth checking for those settings on your TV.

If we do not get any luck with that, then we can also try changing the CEC settings on the soundbar itself. On the Bose Music app, in the settings for your soundbar will be an option for 'Advanced CEC' the two settings it would be worth testing are 'On' and 'Alternate' they provide slightly different communication methods for CEC that could help in this situation.

Another option, if you have the universal remote for the soundbar, would be programming that to control the TV and enabling 'Power Sync' in the soundbar, this would the use an IR signal on the universal remote to control the power on the TV rather than CEC which may prove more effective for you.

I hope this helps, and please do let us know if you get more success after trying any of these steps.

Kind Regards,

Keith L 

9 REPLIES 9
ricke_44
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Nov 14, 2019

I have the exact same problem with my Panasonic Viera TV.  Shuts off just fine, but won't turn on at all.  A little annoying.....

Hello all,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the community.

It sounds like the reason you are unable to turn on the TV with Alexa is due to how Alexa interprets the commands it is given. As it does not have a connection to the TV from Alexa directly, the only way to turn them both on in the current configuration is, as you have found, by telling Alexa to turn the Soundbar itself on. The soundbar will then pass the command through to the TV via HDMI CEC controls. ​​​​​​Whereas when asking Alexa to turn devices off, we sometimes don't have to as specific with the control commands. 

What I would recommend to make life that bit easier when asking Alexa to turn the TV on or off, is renaming the Soundbar via the Bose Music app to something that is simple to ask Alexa to control, as that is the point of communication between Alexa and the TV.

Kind Regards,

Keith L - Community Support

ricke_44
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Nov 14, 2019

Hmm.  Well after I read your message I went and said "Alexa turn on the soundbar".  She said "OK", then actually turned on the TV as well (I'm assuming that the soundbar was already on).  Yahoo!  Then I said "Alexa turn off the soundbar" and the TV went off (again assuming that the soundbar went off as well).  Tried it again (Alexa, turn on the soundbar) and....nothing.  Huh.  So I took your suggestion and renamed the soundbar (tried multiple different names) and same thing - nothing when trying to turn on. 

Honestly, this happened once before, when I first set up.  Said "Alexa turn on the TV" and it worked.  Had her turn it off, then the "turn on" never worked again.  It's very strange, and I'm still trying to get my head around it.

Thanks for your help,

-Rick

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Jessie_O

Hi ricke_44

Thank you for trying that and letting us know how it went. 

As the Alexa should just be turning the Soundbar on and off in this situation, the communication to the TV is handled by CEC, I can only think the fact it isn't always working would be down to a CEC inconsistency. As HDMI CEC is not standardised across all companies, there is always room for things to be a bit difficult with this.

However we do have a couple of things we can try. The first would be checking the CEC settings on your TV, some TVs will have options for turning CEC on and a separate option for Power Sync. On Panasonic's this is sometimes called 'Viera Sync', so it would be worth checking for those settings on your TV.

If we do not get any luck with that, then we can also try changing the CEC settings on the soundbar itself. On the Bose Music app, in the settings for your soundbar will be an option for 'Advanced CEC' the two settings it would be worth testing are 'On' and 'Alternate' they provide slightly different communication methods for CEC that could help in this situation.

Another option, if you have the universal remote for the soundbar, would be programming that to control the TV and enabling 'Power Sync' in the soundbar, this would the use an IR signal on the universal remote to control the power on the TV rather than CEC which may prove more effective for you.

I hope this helps, and please do let us know if you get more success after trying any of these steps.

Kind Regards,

Keith L 

ricke_44
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Nov 14, 2019

Hello Keith

Well you hit the nail on the head!  All that was needed was to go into the TV configuration as you suggested.  The "Power Off" was enabled but the "Power On" was not.  Once it was, then everything worked as intended.  Was a bit strange that things did work once then not again, but now it has worked well for a day and I think we can mark it "Solved".  Thank you for your help on this, we appreciate it.

Regards,

-Rick

Zhoth
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 2, 2019

Lol.. This was my thread! 

Where did you find those options?

Hi All,

@ricke_44, I'm glad you managed to get it working correctly now. I'm not quite sure why it was working that first time, I can only think it might be a quirk of the CEC controls on your TV causing that part of it. I'm glad I was able to help get it working!

@Zhoth, where these settings are, will vary depending on your TV. Do you know what the make and model would be? That way we can try and help you find the correct settings.

Most TV companies have their own name for the CEC settings, for example, Samsung use 'Anynet' and LG use 'Simplink'. If you can find an option for one of those, or HDMI CEC, the setting you are looking for will likely be under there.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Keith L

Zhoth
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 2, 2019

Ok, I've found the SimplyLink configuration and it was already activated like you can see in this picture (it's in Italian but I think you can understand):

https://imgur.com/wZ2ltjh

These are, instead, the settings in the Bose app:

https://imgur.com/PtK4EpL

https://imgur.com/QFEa6yZ

Any idea?

Hi Zhoth, 

Thank you for coming back to us with this information!

Have you been able to change the CEC settings as per @Keith_L's post? This is when you change from 'On' to 'Alternate On'. You can do this on both the TV settings and the Bose Music application. Have you also tried programming the universal remote control?

As mentioned in Keith's earlier post, this could be causing you some trouble as the CEC settings are not standardized across different companies. 

Let me know how you get on!

Kindest, 

Jessie O