Soundbar 500 and DTS audio

Friendly Fanatic

Soundbar 500 and DTS audio

What audio formats does the soundbar 500 support over HDMI and SPDIF? Does it support 5.1 channel PCM? And what is the best setup for movies that have DTS audio?

Its dissapointing that the soundbar 500 doesn't seem to support DTS audio. This is a high end home theatre system and even entry level AV amps these days support DTS and Dolby Digital audio formats. So this seems like a very cinical move by Bose to try and force people to buy the much larger and more expensive 700 which does seem to support DTS. If this is only a firmware restriction, I hope Bose reconsider and provide an update in the future to add DTS support.

I'm using the soundbar 500 connected to the HDMI ARC port from a Samsung JU7500 TV. I can only seem to hear audio from movies that are streamed to the TV with DTS audio if I configure the audio format on the TV to PCM. I'm not sure if the soundbar supports 5.1 channel PCM over HDMI or not, so its difficult to know if I'm getting full 5.1 surround from the source.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Soundbar 500 and DTS audio

Hello DandG,

Thank you for the post and questions.

The Soundbar 500 supports Dolby Digital format from external sources. 

We do appreciate your feedback, and I will be sure to pass this along to development.

Kind Regards,

Joel - Community Support

Friendly Fanatic

Thank you for the reply.

Strangely the soundbar does seem to be playing DTS sources now. The TV is auto switching to DTS output when I stream DTS audio and the soundbar is playing all 5.1 channels. So it seems the soundbar is capable of supporting DTS - it would be great if this was officially supported.
Friendly Fanatic

DTS definitely seems to be working on my soundbar 500 too dispite it not being supported. 

Wistful Whisperer

Bose soundbar dts support?

So just bought the bose soundbar 500, base and rear speakers. I understand that the 500 doesn't support dts. However when I configure my audio on my Xbox one x I'm able to select CT dts digital surround and sound plays from. 5.1
Has there been an update to the bose 500 to support dts. If it dint I wouldn't be able to choose dts as a source