DandG
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 20, 2018

Soundbar 500 and alex responding on wrong device

Since installing the soundbar 500 I've been having problems with Alexa on Amazon Echo devices. When I ask alexa to play music on an Echo device in one room it responds and plays the music on the Bose soundbar in another room unless I specifically ask it to play on a specific device. This never used to be the case. Previously before registering the soundbar with my alex account, when I asked alexa to play music it always played on the device I was talking to. It appears that the soundbar is somehow forcing alex to use the soundbar as the default device for all responses, but I can't see any way in the Alex app to configure this.

Is this normal behaviour? Is anyone else having the same problem?

Any suggestions for how I can stop alex always responding on the soundbar when I talk to another alexa device?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Soundbar 500 and alex responding on wrong device

Hello DandG,

Thank you for posting.

This is not normal behavior that you should be experiencing. It almost seems like the Soundbar 500 mics are stronger than your other Alexa devices and are picking up the commands.

One way to test is to disable the mic on the Soundbar 500 and trying a command again to another Alexa device and see if it responds.

Let us know the results.

Kind Regards,

Joel - Community Support

MartyTannen81
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Sep 23, 2017

Hi to the community!

I have the same problem here. Purchased the soundbar 700. It´s now located in my bedroom near the kitchen. In the kitchen I have an echo spot. Befor the Bose 700 I had a Dot 3 in the Bedroom. When I´m in the Kitchen and speak to alexa now the Soundbar in the Bedroom is responding. This is really a big problem for me. Before the Soundbar I had no issues with the Spot (kitchen) and the Dot (Bedroom). I tried nearly everything in the Alexa App (Grouping and so on). Nothing worked for me.

I really need helb because I cannot use the Echo in the kitchen anymore when the wrong device is responding. I need it for timers, music...but everytime the sound and all other actions happen in the Bedoom. I think the Bose don´t have the feature from the Echos to detect which device is nearer to the speaker. This would be very very disapointing because the bose is useless in this case for me (and maybe others).

Help!

Thank you!

Marty

BrianJP
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Feb 8, 2019

I just say the name of the device I want to listen on after the request . That works

Hi MartyTannen81,

Thank your post, I'm sorry to hear you are having this problem.

That's a great suggestion from @BrianJP. Could you test this to see if it solves your problem?

Also, Alexa allows you to set a preferred speaker. You can do this by following these steps:

1. Select the Devices icon.
  2. Select the group with the device, or create a new smart home group from the '+' icon.
  3. If there is a speaker available in the group, select Set preferred speaker, and select Save.

If you need any further assistance, please do get in touch.

Warm Regards,

Charlotte G