Collaborator
Registered since

Dec 20, 2018

Soundbar 500 crackle in right rear speaker after 4.0.8 firmware update

My Bose soundbar 500 system has started to crackle in the right rear speaker. The problem started in the last few days after the recent 4.0.8 firmware update.

I'm using a Samsung TV with Sky Q+ and Plex, HDMI ARC, Bose Soundbar 500 (Firmware 4.0.8-6566+a79e183), 2 x Bose Surround Speakers, Bose Bass Module 500. I have swapped the rear speakers to check its not the speaker itself but the crackle is always on the right rear speaker. I have reset the system, removed and re-added all accessories, and tested with both HDMI ARC and Optical but the problem persists. I have tested with a number of surround sources included Sky TV, Netflix and Dolby Digital surround sound tests, all sources have the same problem. The crackle is only heard when the right rear surround channel plays sound. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: Soundbar 500 crackle in right rear speaker after 4.0.8 firmware update

Bose Best Answer selected by Community Manager Andy_B

Hi all,

We're happy to let you all know that firmware update, 4.0.9, has been released today. You can read more information from the thread HERE

As noted in the thread, this update will process automatically between the hours of 2:00 AM – 5:00 AM local time. It may take 24-48 hours to receive the update. There is no way to force this update immediately. 

We'd like to thank you all for your continued patience. 

Kindest,

Andy B

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

40 REPLIES 40
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

May 24, 2019

Hi,

this is NOT related to your hardware, cables etc. Firmware 4.0.8 is broken. Users of the 700 system have the same prolem including me. All we can hope for is that BOSE fixes this fast! At the moment my system sounds like a 100$ no-name system. BOSE should be ashamed. 

https://community.bose.com/t5/Smart-Home/Latest-Firmware-4-08-broke-passthrough-audio/td-p/207277/hi...

Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

May 25, 2019

Totally agree with you same problem what a shame, crack on the right rear speaker !

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 25, 2019

I have same issue but on the actual soundbar itself. It's the right hand speaker(as you look at it) that is crackling. I have the soundbar and bass module without rear speakers. Terrible update by Bose and hope it gets solved asap
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

May 25, 2019

I to am having the same problem, I’ve tried everything Bose have suggested but to no avail. The right rear speaker crackles but only during 5.1 encoded material. It seems to happen during bass heavy sections of movies and Netflix shows almost as if the bass which is normally crossed over at a certain frequency isn’t being directed to the subwoofer as it should. I’m not happy as I have given up a dedicated home theatre in the name of simplicity and I thought Bose was the logical option for sound quality, was I wrong?
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 12, 2019

I am also having this problem

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 26, 2019

Same problem here, soundbar 700 with rear speaker setup, so annoying considering the price and supposed quality!!, tried everything before looking through web, definitely right channel issue, better be fixed quick ‘BOSE’ or the whole lots going a journey!!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 25, 2019

Since this happens only with Dolby sound, as a temp fix, you can turn off Dolby on your TV/source and put up with stereo for a while. An unacceptable situation nonetheless. Their software folks really need to get their **bleep** together as this is not the first time they've deployed a broken update. Apparently this happened for their QC35 headphones last time (Google, though mine have always been fine).
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 13, 2019

Same issue on my 700 right hand side and on the rear right speaker @bose when can we expect a fix?
Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Oct 25, 2018

I have the same issue with the Soundbar 700 and the right rear speaker

I noticed it initially in the PS4 home area, then aftwards everywhere else.

I thought it was a wiring issue, but good to see that there is an actual issue identified by others

I am running up to date firmware