Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 8, 2020

Soundbar 500 not working with Alexa

This may be a duplicate and I have spent time looking everywhere for a potential solution. 

I am UK, Bose Soundbar 500.  Software updated.

SB500 connected via wifi and I believe correctly set up.  Associated with Alexa Amazon account. 

Alexa, what's the time - the time is 8:17pm so we know that it is connected to wifi.  

Alexa, shuffle songs by Bruce Springsteen - Shuffling songs by BS on Amazon music, sorry that device is offline. 

Alexa, play BBC Radio 2 - Here's Radio 2 [tone] BBC Sounds, sorry I'm having trouble, please try in a little while.

Have tried:

Off on

Reset router

Off on (2 minutes)

Disable Bose (not soundbar) and Bose and enable and most combinations on the Alexa app.

Factory reset etc. 

I am absolutely tearing my hair out - can you help please? 

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Re: Soundbar 500 not working with Alexa

Hello Anchormagic, 

Thanks for reaching out. 👋

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with your Soundbar 500 and Alexa. 

Since this issue began, have you tried to remove the bar from the Alexa app and tried to re-associate it? 

We are currently having some issues with streaming services which you can read about here, but this shouldn't affect other general functionality of the voice assistant. 

Thanks.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 8, 2020

Thank you @Jeff_G for your response.  Regrettably I have not had time to investigate this further during the day.  Here is a log of my actions this evening:

Opened Alexa app on ipad.  

Devices Bose Soundbar 500 - delete (trash can) - interestingly was showing a TV - perhaps due to the fact that it was connected to a telly.  

Alexa, what time is it?  It's 7:15pm (so it is still working).

Alexa, Play BBC Radio 2 - Here's Radio 2 [tone] BBC Sounds, Sorry I'm having trouble, please try in a little while. 

Alexa, what is the weather - correct answer for the location

Alexa, shuffle music by Bruce Springsteen - Shufflling songs by BS on Amazon music, sorry that device is offline. 

Closed alexa app (swipe up)

opened alexa app, devices, plus sign, add device, speaker, bose, other - message connect your bose speaker following the bose app instructions (this has already been done) etc. press discover devices (pressed).   45 second progress bar.  

1 Soundtouch found and connected (not sure that the Bose soundbar is a soundtouch)

Set up Device - add to a group - skip

Soundtouch 300 is set up and ready to use.  Done

So this is the bit that really confuses me - it's not a 300 (but I do own one in my house)

Same errors. 

I'm in the office - I go into the house and disconnect the 300 - it's not in range but I don't want you to ask me to do this!

In the app - devices, Soundtouch 300, Remove (trash can).

Closed app

Opened alexa app, devices, plus sign, add device, speaker, bose, other - message connect your bose speaker following the bose app instructions (this has already been done) etc. press discover devices (pressed).   45 second progress bar.  

1 Soundtouch found and connected (not sure that the Bose soundbar is a soundtouch)

Etc.

So why is the app thinking that it is a SoundTouch 300 - it just seems very strange indeed.  

I wonder whether there is some sort of issue with the ST300 that I set up (although this was on a different Bose app - not music but a soundtouch app).  

All in all very very frustrating and time consuming - any further help really appreciated (hoping that you might still be working!)

Highlighted

Hi Anchormagic, 

Thank you for coming back to us!

I'm sorry to hear that the troubleshooting has yet to resolve your issue. The fact you are displaying as SoundTouch is really strange. 

I would recommend removing the Alexa account from your Bose Music and disabling the Bose Skill in the Alexa application (it should show as 'Bose Not For SoundTouch'). Once complete, re-add Alexa to the Bose App, then check the skill is enabled, then search for it again in the Alexa application.

Let us know how it goes!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 8, 2020

Thanks for getting back so quickly.  Latest update:

opened alexa app, two x Bose skills noted - disabled bose, disabled bose (not for soundtouch)

hard close alexa app.

factory reset of Soundbar 500 (power and FF button on remote)

opened bose music on ipad, plus (new device), add product for bose soundbar 500, wifi etc. activating product, named Bose Soundbar 500, no thanks to add others, add tv, no accessories, skip the tuning to room, select alexa, sign in (user + pw), now asks for bose ID (user + pw), alexa language (UK(UK)), continue, continue - setup complete - tone from speaker. 

Alexa, what is the time?  - it is 11:14 pm

Alexa, Play BBC Radio 2 - Here's Radio 2 [tone] BBC sounds - music - hoorah!!!

Alexa, shuffle music by Bruce Springsteen  - Shuffling songs by BS on Amaz music - music - Boom!

Alexa, next track - wahey - I get the next track.  

Now I have not enabled a skill in the alexa app - I won't be touching that.  Just need to make sure that it works tomorrow.  I will be resubscribing to unlimited music idc but of course that is not Bose.  

Fingers crossed that it stays good - what a bizarre carry on and I hope that this post may help others.