Paresh
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jun 27, 2019

Soundbar 500 stops playing music in patches after firmware update 5.0.14

Everything was good (bar few bluetooth hiccups) before latest firmware (5.0.14) upgrade. Now whenever I play music using alexa (amazon music service) soundbar stop playing music in patches. Like it is playing music normally and suddenly it stops (dead silence) for few seconds then again starts playing normally, it picks up from the point when it stops.

It is very irritating. Please let me know the process to downgrade it to old firmware. As it was not happening before the firmware upgrade.

Thanks,

Paresh

13 REPLIES 13
Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Re: Soundbar 500 stops playing music in patches after firmware update 5.0.14

You cannot revert to an older firmware.  Bluetooth is a terrible way to listen to music.  Can you use the Bose Music app so that you are using WIFI?

Paresh
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jun 27, 2019

Hi jimg,

Yes you are right, bluetooth is terrible way of listening music. However I am not using it. It is wifi only. I am using in-built alexa amazon music service. Same as with old firmware. 

I am using Netgear router R6700 with 100 mbps service, that is well known router and I am absolutely sure that it is not wifi problem.

Thanks,

Paresh

Paresh
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jun 27, 2019

I was able to downgrade by manually updating an old version. However it updates to newer version  itself next time it reboots.

Is there a way to stop automatic upgrades?

Highlighted

Hello everyone,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community! This is very strange indeed, I am sorry that you are experiencing this. I would be more than happy to help you out today, we can go through some troubleshooting to try to resolve this for you. Let's start with a product reset and pushing a manual update to the soundbar as the first update may not have downloaded properly. 

Reset your soundbar by following these steps:

1. Turn the soundbar off
  2. Unplug the soundbar power cord from the power outlet
  3. Wait 30 seconds
  4. Reconnect the power cord
  5. Wait 30 seconds for the system to reboot

To update your product with a computer and a USB cable:

1. On a computer, open an internet browser and go to worldwide.bose.com/support/SB500FW
  2. When prompted, save the product_update.zip file. (Tip: If the prompt does not appear, the file may have downloaded automatically. Look for file in a browser notification or in the Downloads folder)
  3. Connect a USB A-to-Micro USB cable from a computer to the SERVICE jack on the back of your product
  4. Reboot your product by disconnecting the power cord for 30 seconds:
    • While rebooting, the light bar on the front of the product pulses white
    • Once rebooted, the light bar turns off
  5. On the remote, simultaneously press and hold the Bluetooth and Skip Back buttons for 5 seconds: The light bar on the soundbar glows white, then turns off when you release the buttons
  6. In a web browser, go to http://203.0.113.1:17008/update.html
  7. Select Choose File, and select the update file downloaded earlier
  8. Click UPLOAD, then wait while the update is installed

I hope this helps, please let me know how you get on!

Kindest regards,

Zoe C - Community Support

Paresh
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jun 27, 2019

Re: Soundbar 500 skiping (stops playing in patches) music after firmware update 5.0.14

Hello Zoe C,

I tried your way. Once done with manual update soundbar updated (actually downgraded) to firmware 5.0.12. And everything goes to normal, no skiping of music. 

After a day or two, soundbar again updated to firmware 5.0.14. And boom, problem rises from the hell :(.

So no help whatsoever.

Thanks,

Paresh

Re: Soundbar 500 skiping (stops playing in patches) music after firmware update 5.0.14

Hello Paresh,

Thanks for getting back to me, that's strange that you have experienced that. There is no recommended way to downgrade the firmware on the Soundbar 500, we would not recommend trying this. We can continue to go through some troubleshooting to get this resolved for you, let's try clearing the pairing list, reboot your phone and test another device with the Soundbar.

To clear the product memory of connected Bluetooth® devices:

• On the remote control, press and hold the Bluetooth button for 10 seconds until the light bar on the soundbar blinks blue twice.

I hope this helps, please let me know how you get on!

Kindest regards,

Zoe C 

Paresh
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jun 27, 2019

Hi Zoe,

I am not using bluetooth mode at all. Even though I did clear the bluetooth devices list.

No help, still skipping sound.

If I am not able to downgrade, can you let me know to stop automatic upgrade. Is there a way to postpone the new firmware release by any means?

I am not at the point that I literally want to through out soundbar. 

Thanks,

Paresh

Paresh
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jun 27, 2019

Just to update, I am using amazon music service using inbuilt alexa.

Hello Paresh,

Thanks for getting back in touch. When you are using Alexa to play Amazon music are you getting any error message at all? Are you able to play music without skipping with the Bose Music app? Have you tried removing the speaker from the Alexa skill app and then re-adding it again?

The only way you would be able to stop new firmware being downloaded is to not have the speaker connected to WiFi, however, we would not recommend impeding firmware updates. 

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kindest regards, 
Zoe C