Re: Soundbar 700 no audio with ARC

Hello, 

That is no problem, we would like to gain a wider understanding of what our customers are experiencing so that we can ensure we can get this resolved as promptly and efficiently as we can. 

I would still suggest in contacting Samsung to update your TV just to ensure that this is up to date. 

But I would also suggest in resetting the HDMI-ARC connection on your TV, by re-establishing the HDMI handshake between the two devices. This can be done by the following steps: 

1. Disconnect the Soundbar from power
  2. Disconnect the TV from power
  3. Leave both systems to rest and drain of power completely for at least 60 seconds
  4. Disconnect the HDMI connection on the back of the Soundbar
  5. Disconnect the HDMI connection to the TV
  6. Reconnect the HDMI connection to the back of the Soundbar
  7. Reconnect the HDMI connection to the TV
  8. Power on the Soundbar only. Allow up to three minutes for the system to fully power on.
  9. When the Soundbar is finished powering on, power on the TV.
  10. Turn on the TV and Soundbar using the relevant remotes, and initiate playback through the systems.

Following this, should the issue persist, we recommend removing, and re-adding the TV input to the Soundbar 700 should you have programmed the Universal Remote to control this system. To do this:

1. Launch the Bose Music application
  2. Select the Soundbar
  3. On the bottom-right of the screen, tap the icon for the Soundbar
  4. Select "Settings"
  5. Select "TV"
  6. Tap the red "Remove" icon on the bottom of the screen
  7. Tap "Remove" again to confirm
  8. Tap "+ Connect to a New TV"
  9. Follow through the in-app instructions to complete the setup process

Can we also test an optical connection if your TV has this available so that we can confirm whether or not this is an issue with the ARC handshake? 

Please let us know your results and experiences as we would love to get this investigated. 

Tegan M 

prsaxena
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 23, 2018

I have tried the optical method too. It works fine with the optical cable, soundbar does receive audio signals from the TV. However i dont prefer this method becuase I'm unable to control the volume using TV remote. With the eArc i can control soundbar volume using my Sony TV remote. 

JabregoUSMC
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 27, 2019

Re: Bose soundbar 700 no sound

Same issue here and all they suggest is to "reset HDMI ARC" by unplugging everything and plugging back in. 😐

Oh and to contact *insert tv manufacturer name* to make sure you have the latest firmware on tv...BOSE, IT'S NOT THE TVS, IT'S YOUR BROKEN A** FIRMWARE UPDATES! TEST IT FIRST!

coreyw33
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

May 22, 2019

Firmware 5.0.12 Problems

Another firmware update that degrades performance. I have to say, the person or persons responsible for releasing firmware is doing a terrible job and their employment, at the very least, should be reconsidered.

The latest release has hdmi/arc issues that causes a no sound condition from the soundbar at random times. Also, the soundbar does not detect my Bose surround speakers. It will see them immediately after a factory reset then will drop one speaker causing no sound from either surround speaker. All worked perfectly before the latest release.

I hope they fix this in a more timely fashion than the firmware 4.08 debacle. 

When everything is working correctly this system is amazing. I wish firmware updates were optional as I could care less about the latest Alexa or Google assistant features. I just want to watch a movie, tv show or boxing match with amazing sound from my “best soundbar in the world.” 

BOSE you need to do a better job. Your hardware is excellent but your software is beginning to lessen your companies reputation. 

chris4prez
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

May 25, 2019

@Andy_B closed another thread and suggested we move over here. I have been using 2 Bose Soundbar 700 /Sub / Surround Setups since July with LG C9 OLED TVs [Latest Firmware3.6.19] flawlessly using HDMI-CEC audio control until Bose FW 5.0.12 which has seriously broken it.[Nonwithstanding the jacked up issue that was caused with a previous Bose firmware causing hissing on rear channels and then resolved] Both Setups have TiVos and Apple TVs using their respective remotes to control audio up/down and mute without a hitch. Bose app has had advanced CEC set to "On"

This is clearly not a TiVo,Apple TV, or TV Firmware version issue based on the fact I have two seperate setups meriting the same issue which did not show any symptoms or occurences prior to 5.0.12.

I have attempted all troubleshooting as desired in this thread and reject moving to optical as a viable solution.  The setups were specifically purchased from a top tier brand with the expectation of simplicity and minimal setup thus allowing seemless control via eARC over HDMI using CEC.

Thus far the only solution that brings back CEC audio control consistently is completly unplugging both the TV and soundbar and waiting for 30-60s then powering back on.  Audio CEC control will then work for awhile until both are turned off for a period of time (i.e. go to bed and turn on next morning, or go to work and return home to turn on) and then next turn on same symptoms will appear and all devices required unplugged and plugged back in.

Please advise if you are working on a solution to resolve, as well as, identify and admit there is a problem with the current verision.

Long term, I would really like to see the following: Releases notes with each version defined in the bose app, notificaiton and approval of FW upgrade in app vs. forced. (I'd prefer others to be my guinea pig for issues vs. feeling the growing pains everytime you update. The track record of delivery has not been good thus far and I'm losing confidence in the brand that I have been purchasing for 20+ years and have so many of your devices.)

Diomac
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 24, 2019

@Tegan_M what more wider understanding do you need, hundreds of people have now stated since the release of the 5.0.12 firmware to the day ARC / CEC is no longer working and causing their soundbar to be unsable.  

The original posts here were quite descriptive of the issues, and they also stated we have already tried all the things you have suggested.

I have wasted countless hours troubleshooting this issue only the confirm it's the latest firmwares doing and had to switch my soundbar to use the optical cable which is a workaround not a solution.  If this can't be rectifed in a timely manner I will be asking for a refund.  I didn't spend a large premium to buy Bose to be caused grief and have a soundbar I can't use as advertised.

Your and @Charlotte_G suggestion to contact our TV manufacturers is just plan insulting and a deliberate attempt to muddy the waters, it's got nothing to do with Sony, LG, Samsung etc.  These issues are in direct relationship with Bose firmware 5.0.12.  Where is your quality assurance?  Engineering need to allow firmware updates to the opt-in after this episode.

Just to be really really clear, I have turned off CEC on all my devices left them off for an hour, enabled CEC again and it made no difference.  I have deleted every device and tv on the BOSE Music app and done it all again, and it made no difference.  I have factory reset my Soundbar and it made no difference.  The only thing that allows the Soundbar to be used is using the optical cable and removing ARC from the equation. 

The behaviour with ARC connected after the 5.0.12 firmware update is my Sony Bravia randomly and frequently gets turned off and on after which it losses all sound until the Soundbar is power cycled by unplugging it from the wall.  This corrects it for a couple of minutes until the TV gets turned off and back on again.  This is a never ending loop, and risks damaging my TV so I am now unwilling to connect it via ARC until there is a new firmware released or the option provided to roll back to the previous version.  If Bose wants to carry the liabilty for my TV happy to do more testing for you.

@Andy_B since this is squarely on Bose, what steps are Bose actually taking to rectify and acknowledge this issue they introduced with this firmware release?

Ashish.tomar
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 27, 2019

I am having the same trouble (no audio using ARC) with SB700 and Sony Bravia.

Got frustrated troubleshooting the issue, I bought it online from Bose and don't know where to go as there support asked me to ship everything back to them ? 

How can we held Bose accountable for this ?

Highlighted
Booma1218
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 23, 2018

Same on my setup as well....The only way to get sound is to power cycle my Soundbar and it works again..I’m even having trouble with the Bose app syncing my Home speaker 500 and soundbar setup....When I try to use Airplay the 2 units will either not be in sync with one another,or it will only connect to one,and not the other...What a complete joke...I also love the pathetic responses you get from the Bose...Unplug this,reconnect that,wait 10 min, blah blah blah...If I remove my HDMI cable Bose,and plug it into my squeaky clean balloon knot for 60 seconds and reconnect it to my TV will my 2000$ system work???

vari
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 24, 2019

All of you staff are treating customers like idoits. haha.

Yeah, I acknowledge bose's sound quality, but not for software. 
The firmware of your products is close to amatuer's toy.

Now I understand why their products doesn't support recent sound formats and features that are supported by other companies products.

shawnh62
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 24, 2019

I was able to get the Soundbar working again by unplugging both the tv and Soundbar along with the HDMI cable. After restarting the devices and re-connecting the Soundbar it worked again. It’s bizarre that the unit worked just fine for months then one day wouldn’t work without doing this procedure...  anyway, it works for now so all is well. Thanks everyone!