Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 25, 2019

Soundbar 700 randomly starting up by itself

I’m experiencing an annoying issue, my soundbar is switching on automatically. Since I set the Bose remote with my sources (everything working fine) it happened several times that the soundbar switched on automatically during the night, together with the TV and the Sky decoder. 
No input with the remote or the app. It turns on randomly and several times each day.

Since everything is set with CEC, everything turns on with the soundbar.

I have a Sony tv XD93 series and the Sky Q decoder as the only source.

I’m pretty sure the input comes from the soundbar, but I have no idea why.
What can I do?

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted

Re: Soundbar 700 switching on randomly

Hi Ziosata,

Thank you for taking the time to post - apologies for the issue you seem to be experiencing.

That does seem to be unusual as the soundbar should not be starting up by itself with manual input from the remote, or through the TV/Sky box is turned on. But it may only take one system to turn on to power up all three devices through CEC - which makes it difficult to know the root of the issue.

Do you have your soundbar set up and connected to Spotify? Is there a chance that Spotify may be powering up your soundbar causing everything to turn on when you want to play music through your phone? Similarly, if you keep your Bluetooth on at all times - is this connecting to the soundbar and causing it to turn on?

Warm regards,

Sam F - Community Support

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 25, 2019

Thank you for the reply.

Yes I have set Spotify with the Soundbar, but I assure you that nobody would use it while sleeping at night. Moreover, when the system starts itself, it goes to TV source turning on power of the TV and Sky.

So these are the steps:

- I turn off everything using Bose Remote, so just one press of the power off button. I put the remote on the table.

- Randomly I find all the setup running, so Soundbar, Tv and Sky, just like somebody pressed the "watch tv" button.

TV and Sky never had this kind of issue, and I have them since 1+ year.

I think one possibility is that the Sky box do some kind of automatic power cycle at night and exiting from the standby mode it give some kind of imput to the TV, but this never happened before.

Another possibility is that the Bose Remote has a malfunction, since I also had serious problems setting it.

Am I the only one who has ever experienced this kind of issue?

I don't know where to start troubleshooting, without turning off the CEC

Maybe are there some infos about how to set up Bravia Sync (CEC) on the TV?

Best regards

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 25, 2019

Update here:

I found out that the Sky Q box has a "automatic switch-off" system.

With the remotes, both Sky remote or Bose remote, I'm only able to turn on or standby the Sky box, while to turn it of completely I have to unplug or press the physical button or use the "automatic switch-off".

I believe that when the Sky box automatically switches itself off, from standby to complete switch off, usually at night, the soundbar gets some kind of input and starts all systems due to CEC.

Since I turned off "automatic switch-off" system from Sky box I'm not experiencing the issue anymore, but I'm still not sure if this was the cause.

May I have any suggestion? Is it possible that I'm the only one experiencing this issue?

Best Regards,
Luca

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Mar 28, 2020

Re: Soundbar 700 randomly starting up by itself

Hi

I am also getting the same problem in my bose soundbar 700...after few minutes on putting it standby button off through app and remote it gets automatically on.

Hope to get the solution asap.

Thanking you

Regards

Lavish

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Apr 13, 2020

I just purchased a Soundbar 700 and installed it this past week.  I’m experiencing the same.  The system randomly turns on the TV in the middle of the night and during the day.  Could a software update fix this problem?  Otherwise, enjoying the system.

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 25, 2019

Hello, here's my experience.

I don't think they released any update concerning this issue.

In my case, the random switch on was caused by the sat decoder which have an auto standby function.

I know it makes no sense, but any time the decoder entered standby, usually during the night, the soundbar turned on, and so any device connected via CEC.

I turned off the auto standby function and now it works.

Best regards,

Luca

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Apr 13, 2020

After using the Bose Soundbar 700 for a few weeks I returned the product.  While the sound was great, the system did not function  well for the price.  I’ve been a long term user of Bose products, but was disappointed with this model.  While the speakers themselves sounded great, the software and remote interface was often slow or unresponsive and did not function well as an integrated system.