smittysolo
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 23, 2019

Re: Soundbar 700 sound dropping out

I concur. I have my soundbar 700 hooked up to my TV via HDMI Arc. The sound drops out when watching Netflix on Apple TV is consistently every show. 1-2 times a show sometimes. It's very annoying. I really like the BOSE products but have found their software side of things to be very very poor. I'm not sure I'll purchase a bose product again if this doesn't start working. 

NaikP
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Feb 14, 2019

I think the new firmware is causing a new problem. Now I observe that the TV often switches the sound output from external to internal, reporting that it is unavailable. Though I hear all the sounds on my soundbar it is switching off reception for few milli seconds and TV switches back to internal audio. At this point I’m hearing double sounds. Not sure where bose quality went. 

Thanks,

NaikP

Hello NaikP, 

Thanks for reaching out today. 

I am sorry that you are having this issue, can I please ask, have you attempted any troubleshooting to resolve this issue? 

If not I would suggest performing a reset on the Soundbar, you can do this by: 

1. Turn the soundbar off
  2. Unplug the soundbar power cord from the power outlet
  3. Wait 30 seconds
  4. Reconnect the power cord
  5. Wait 30 seconds for the system to reboot

I look forward to hearing how you get on. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W

NaikP
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Feb 14, 2019

@Vicky_W , I have tried disconnecting and jreconnecting power as you've suggested. Last week I was able to hear loud bass sounds without any popping noise. However today while watching a movie over netflix, I hear popping noise(not as loud it used to be). I have downloaded the log from the device using <ip address>\logread. 

I am really not sure how to deal with this, its been almost 2-3 months I'm facing this issue. I have connected all of the devices which are connected to TV via ethernet to avoid any wireless interference. Recently I have added smart wall sockets, one of which falls between the Soundbar and Bass Module. I will try to remove it and test once.

Thanks,

NaikP

Hello NaikP,

Thank you for getting back to us regarding this. We thank you for the information in which you have already provided us regarding your set up and troubleshooting methods. So that we can get some further understanding, can you please provide us with the following information.

• How are you listening to audio when the sound drops and is there any specific apps affected?
  • Does this happen on all sources?
  • Does there seem to be any pattern when this happens? 
  • What devices are connected to the SB? 
  • What TV do you have? 
  • How is your system set up? 
  • How long after the update did you start experiencing issues?

We look forward to hearing from you. 

Tegan M 

NaikP
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Feb 14, 2019

@Tegan_M , I have been testing my soundbar for popping noise. I hear is now and then, not consistently. Before I give more update let me answer your questions

• How are you listening to audio when the sound drops and is there any specific apps affected?
    -Sound drops have stopped occurring after 5.14 firmware
  • Does this happen on all sources?
    - Mostly seen popping noise on streaming services(even on Amazon Music)
  • Does there seem to be any pattern when this happens? 
    - When the bass sound is settling, I hear the popping noise. It is very low frequency sounds which bass module struggles to reproduce.
  • What devices are connected to the SB? 
    -My TV doesn't have ARC, still I have HDMI and Optical connected. HDMI to control TV and other devices via universal remote.
  • What TV do you have? 
    - I have Sony KDL40EX500(2010 model year). Never faces picture or audio issues so far.
  • How is your system set up? 
    - I have XBOX, AppleTV, Local TV streaming device and Soundbar connected to TV.
  • How long after the update did you start experiencing issues?
    - Before updating to 5.14, with 4.xx it was almost immediately started giving popping noise.

Here is something I found in last week, my wifi router(DIR-866L) 2.4GHz channel had dropped Rx/Tx packets and Tx Errors, which I still have as of now. I believe this frequency might be causing interference with Bass module. I am testing the soundbar and bass module on a daily basis. I do not have plans to change my wifi until thanksgiving. I will post update if I find something new.

Thanks,

NaikP 

Hello NaikP, 

I am sorry that you are having these issues and thank you for all of the details you have provided. 

Can I please ask that you try performing a router reboot for me? 

Also, if possible, could you please try connecting the Bass Module to the Soundbar manually via a wired connection and see if this makes a difference? 

I look forward to your response. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W 

flirble
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jun 8, 2018

• How is your Soundbar connected to the internet, is it Ethernet or Wifi?  WiFi (signal -30 dBm) 2.4GHz
  • If Wifi what make is your Router?  Virgin Media Smart Hub 3.0
  • How are you listening to audio when the sound drops and is there any specific apps affected? Through HDMI ARC
  • Does this happen on all sources? Only seems to be Media with DD5.1, stereo and DTS no issue
  • Does there seem to be any pattern when this happens?  Nope, microsecond drops at random intervals
  • What devices are connected to the SB? Philips 55OLED803 via HDMI ARC
  • What TV do you have? Philips 55OLED803
  • How is your system set up? TV and Soundbar 700 only
  • How long after the update did you start experiencing issues? Have owned soundbar for 1week, only started today Saturday 2nd November 2019
  • Firmware Version: 5.0.14-7264+5d50672
NaikP
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Feb 14, 2019

Update:

I upgraded my router to Netgear Nighthawk AX8 5700, now I haven’t heard of popping sound so far. Looks like router was causing the interference in the wifi signal. One thing I noticed after this latest firmware, overall sound volume has reduced. Typically i never set it beyond 35% unless I’m watching movie. Even with the quite environment I’m not hearing sound as loud it used to be. Did anyone observe this?

Thanks,

NaikP

Joyota89
Silent Starter
Registered since

Nov 15, 2019

Just dropped Altice and went back to optimum services, and have not yet had any issues with my Bose 700. Could be the router they were using or just the altice box. Will update if anything changes.