Jun 4, 2019
I just bought a 700 soundbard and selected it from other options because it was marketed as compliant with GA and Alexa.
On the registration I'm a US user, but I live in Argentina. It says GA does not work in my region. Does it filter IP? Why is this?
A couple of hours ago I could make it work following these steps:
1) Reset the Bose SoundBar 500/700 to factory settings. It can be done by pressing simultaneously in the remote the on/off button together with "next track" for about 10 seconds. The lights should blink for about a minute and the soundbar should issue a sound as powered on. As it is factory reset, the wifi configuration will be cleared and it will have to be configured again with the BOSE MUSIC app.
2) Get an Android mobile phone with a later version (7/8/9 should work), and at the Play Store download Hola VPN and HOLA fake location (in order to run the fake location app you will have to activate the developer options menu and activate the fake location option app, it is explained by the app when you run the Hola fake location app)
3) Run Hola VPN and select the Bose Music app
4) On the dialog box check the option "also change my GPS location"
5) Here you will be prompted to activate the Developer option "use mock location app" and select Hola Fake location, selecting a GPS location within Continental United States
6) Activate the VPN for the Bose Music App and start the APP
7) Configure the Bose Soundbar 500/700 as usual, but this time it will be possible to activate the google assistant.
😎 On the Home app you will be asked fot a google account to work with, and there you go, the device will start to work as a google home device, even in different languages, the ones you have selected in the google account that had other google devices, as google home or home mini.
9) Reset and configure again any accessory speakers such as a subwoofer or surround speakers, because the reset in 1)
10) Once the Bose Soundbar is correctly activated and you could make it work as a google home device, deactivate both Hola VPN and Hola Fake Location on your mobile.
I have done all of these steps and now, after 4 months of research, my Bose Soundbar 500 located in Argentina, can behave as a Google Home device, play music on Spotify, tell me about the weather, current time, both in Spanish and English, and I guess that also in other languages such as italian, german, french, etc.
Please tell me if this procedure helped as it did in my case, I truly hope so!!!
Hi, I could activate the GA outside USA.
Before doing so you have to download the latest firmware, I had to do it with a PC using the service USB connector of the Soundbar.
Then reset the device to factory settings, and before activating it with the Bose Music App, use Hola VPN and HOLA FAKE GPS Location to simulate you are in the US, then run the Bose Music App, activate the Soundbar, choose the google account that will be linked to the device, and if it forces you to select English do not worry, it will work then in German too.
Good luck and tell me if it worked !!
May 24, 2019
Dec 28, 2018
Thank you so much for providing these steps, as proof that the expected GA functionality is in place, even more so in different languages?
This simply keeps me more puzzeled as I do not understand why Bose is holding back this update then for other countries???
Well, lets hope that Bose soon releases the playstore app with the support to other countries as well.
What was your soundbar firmware version, when you got it working? Mine is currently: 4.0.9-66...
I'm not yet desperate enough to do this reset and fake my location... currently the soundbar is in the living room and in the kitchen I have a google smart speaker. Both can't play in a speaker group so listening to the same radio station is not synced on them. Thats most annoying. So I'm willing to buy the smart home speaker 300, which is announced end of June for Germany. Then I want that both speakers can play in a speaker group and I want to control my home automation just as before with the google speaker. Maybe I will try then to change according to your steps. If its working then I support Bose and buy the speaker. If not - then for me there is no need to spend the money.
Feb 13, 2019
Oct 31, 2018
VPNs? Really?? Lousy customer experience.
Except for you admins, who do a great job keeping us informed of the lack of progress, does anyone else at Bose actually follow these forums to understand the hoops their customers are jumping thought to make this work? Reminds me of region coded DVDs or unlocking iPhones in the old days.
Just release it internationally already - we've waited long enough!
Feb 26, 2019
Thank you for your continued patience when it comes to GVA with our new products.
I understand that this can be frustrating to activate and use this outside of the US, and agree that the use of a VPN, while effective, is not a long-term solution for everyone.
I would like to assure you that as the year progresses we will be bringing GVA to more countries/languages, along with additional Alexa region support.
As GVA itself is released in more and more countries, we will endeavour to continue to support this function through our products where possible.
Whilst I can't answer questions pertaining to specific dates/countries, please do get back to me with any questions and i'd be happy to support where I can.
Thank you all for your understanding!
Jun 11, 2019
Look forward to having the GVA here in Canada!
I just bought the Soundbar 700 and a Home Speaker 500 fully thinking we also had acess to the GVA. After trying to turn it on and realizing it wasn't an option, I almost brought them back because of that. I curently use Google for everything so that is a big selling feature.
Other than that, I am really impressed by both the Soundbar 700 and Home Speaker 500, jsut wish I could use GVA to control them.
Jun 18, 2019