Soundtouch 10 - difficulty switching speaker control back and forth between multiple devices

SOLVED
Audible Advocate

Soundtouch 10 - difficulty switching speaker control back and forth between multiple devices

I skimmed previous threads and did not immediately see this question, so posting. If already answered I welcome a point to the right link.

We have 5 SoundTouch 10 speakers on our Wifi, my wife and I both have iphones with the Bose app, and we are getting frustrated. If she has previously connected to a speaker and created a group, when I try and connect to a speaker it first searches for her device, her latpop, etc. and if she is in the house it will connect to hers, not mine. Only if she is out of range will it cycle through and eventually let me connect.

We have tried hitting the discconnect button in the upper right (looks like 3/5 circle with vertical line), we have tried having her only connect to one speaker as the primary (then group in from there) and me only connecting to a different speaker (and grouping from there). We have tried only connecting via the App, and have tried connecting via the device settings. It seems the only way to change control of the speakers over to me from her device is for her to turn her blue tooth off, which is very annoying to have to do that every time.

Are we doing something wrong? It seems ability for different devices to grab control to play music should be much easier and much more seamless. If any user disconnects, it shoudl go into a neutral standby mode and connect wth any device trying to interact with it.

I am starting to regret these speakers, unless there is a easy fix or I am doing something wrong.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Author Accepted Answer selected by CN19

Accepted Solutions
Audible Advocate

Re: Soundtouch 10 - difficulty switching speaker control back and forth between multiple devices

Thank you for the suggestion. We are still seeing if the solution will work for us. I cleared all of the
bluetooth memory from speakers, and have selected a distinct primary speaker for each
 IOS device.

However, for some reason a sattelite speaker started dropping out for my wife, but not for me when we group it in. The wifi connection is good, and the device and primary speaker, and wireless router, are all in the next room. And again, it drops out on my wifes, and not mine when grouped. So we have been distracted by this issue and have not focused as much on the suggested solution which was for easy switching 
of devices.

Another issue we have to manage, and it is not a Bose issue, is my wife uses youtube for our daughter, and if you leave youtube app to use the Bose app, youtube stops playing on ios - and she is frequently searching 
in youtube and it frustrating for her to loose it as she tries to then manage the bose app. It would be nice if youtube was added as a service too so she could do it from within, if that was even possible. But again, not a Bose issue. But it is adding complexity to her using the speakers as intended.

Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Re: Soundtouch 10 - difficulty switching speaker control back and forth between multiple devices

Hello @CN19

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Bose Community. 

I understand the frustration here and would be happy to help! All these SoundTouch 10 speakers have a memory for 8 Bluetooth devices, and will cycle through the devices in order until this finds a connection.

My suggestion based on your situation would be to make a slight adjustment to something you have already tried here, regarding you and your wife each using a different primary speaker. The first thing you would need to do it clear the Bluetooth List of each SoundTouch speaker. This can be done by either holding the Bluetooth button for 10 seconds until the prompt is heard, or by going to the settings of the device on the SoundTouch app, selecting "Bluetooth" followed by choosing the option to clear the Bluetooth list.

When this is done for all speakers, these will still be available on Wi-Fi, but won't cycle through any products for Bluetooth. At this point, you should confirm with your wife which speaker you each will use as the primary, and use the group this way.

As such, these speakers will only search for either your or your wife's mobile device.

The disconnect button you have noted earlier would disconnect all items from the speaker(s) you have selected and stop all audio, such as if you wanted to turn off the speakers and stop listening to audio.

I hope this helps, and please return to me to let me know how you get on/if you have any questions!

Likewise, if anyone in the Community is using a similar setup with a lot of speakers with a Bluetooth-lead, please chip in with any tips!

Liam W - Community Support

Audible Advocate

Thank you for the suggestion. We are still seeing if the solution will work for us. I cleared all of the
bluetooth memory from speakers, and have selected a distinct primary speaker for each
 IOS device.

However, for some reason a sattelite speaker started dropping out for my wife, but not for me when we group it in. The wifi connection is good, and the device and primary speaker, and wireless router, are all in the next room. And again, it drops out on my wifes, and not mine when grouped. So we have been distracted by this issue and have not focused as much on the suggested solution which was for easy switching 
of devices.

Another issue we have to manage, and it is not a Bose issue, is my wife uses youtube for our daughter, and if you leave youtube app to use the Bose app, youtube stops playing on ios - and she is frequently searching 
in youtube and it frustrating for her to loose it as she tries to then manage the bose app. It would be nice if youtube was added as a service too so she could do it from within, if that was even possible. But again, not a Bose issue. But it is adding complexity to her using the speakers as intended.

Thank you.

Hello CN19, 

Many thanks for getting back in touch. 

Have you checked the app for the Signal Quality of the speaker that appears to be dropping out for your wife? You can do this by opening the Soundtouch app, then going to the menu button in the top left corner, select 'Settings', then 'About.' All speakers should appear on a list. When tapping on one, you will see specific details about it. Please confirm the 'Quality' reading. 

With regards to YouTube, this issue can be negated by getting a YouTube premium membership. Video playback is automatically stopped on the free version of YouTube and is something that is out of our hands. I'm afraid I cannot guarantee if YouTube Music support will be added in the future, but for now, the premium membership is the only available workaround. 

Kindest,

Jeff G