Participant
Registered since

Jul 8, 2019

Streaming music/sound from computer to Bose 700 by Ethernet cable

I purchased a Bose 700 soundbar/subwoffer and have set it up with the Bose music app on my Note 8 for my entertainment center. It works and sounds great. Here is my delima. I have a ton of music that i would also like to access from my home desktop in another room. Is there a way to stream my sound from my computer to my speaker. Would like to set it as a Default speaker in windows if possible to avoid being restricted to Windows Media player. Is there an app avalible from Bose that works on windows 10?

my dream is to set as a speaker within windows and able to play from WinAMP (i'm old school and i loved this for playing music) or any program within windows. while keeping it conneted to the entertainment center for when i watch shows. 

Thanks and i greatly appricate your time. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Feb 26, 2019

Re: Streaming music/sound from computer to Bose 700 by Ethernet cable

Author Accepted Answer selected by rolodius

Hello @rolodius and welcome to the Bose Community!

I'm glad to hear that you enjoy the Sound quality of our Soundbar, and understand that you're looking to set this up to play from a library!

At the current time for this Soundbar, the only ways to play from a computer would be via a Bluetooth connection, or via a direct cable (HDMI or Optical). There is no desktop app (for windows or Mac) that would allow you to do this at this time. Using an Ethernet cable would not allow you to do this, as this sort of information cannot be transferred from a computer to a speaker via this cable.

With that in mind, I have relayed the feedback onto the development team for you to encourage this as a future feature, and would advise anyone on the Community with a similar desire to express interest as well.

In this instance, I would refer you to the SoundTouch 300 Soundbar. This is very similar in style, size and function to the Soundbar 700 that you own, and is also compatible with the same Acoustimass Bass Module 700 you are using with this as well.

This Soundbar uses the SoundTouch app instead of the Bose Music App. This SoundTouch app, apart from being available for computers (Windows and Mac) as well as mobile devices; is able to stream a music library.

This music library can be sourced from a computer hard drive, or a compatible NAS drive. You have noted here that you're interested in using WinAMP. While this service is not supported, the music libraries supported by SoundTouch are iTunes and Windows Media Player libraries, which you could transfer to from WinAMP.

Using this app through Wi-Fi, you would be able to stream to the Soundbar from the computer in the way that you have described here.

I hope this helps you make a decision you're happy with, and please let me know if you have any further questions!

Liam W - Community Support

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Feb 26, 2019

Author Accepted Answer selected by rolodius

Hello @rolodius and welcome to the Bose Community!

I'm glad to hear that you enjoy the Sound quality of our Soundbar, and understand that you're looking to set this up to play from a library!

At the current time for this Soundbar, the only ways to play from a computer would be via a Bluetooth connection, or via a direct cable (HDMI or Optical). There is no desktop app (for windows or Mac) that would allow you to do this at this time. Using an Ethernet cable would not allow you to do this, as this sort of information cannot be transferred from a computer to a speaker via this cable.

With that in mind, I have relayed the feedback onto the development team for you to encourage this as a future feature, and would advise anyone on the Community with a similar desire to express interest as well.

In this instance, I would refer you to the SoundTouch 300 Soundbar. This is very similar in style, size and function to the Soundbar 700 that you own, and is also compatible with the same Acoustimass Bass Module 700 you are using with this as well.

This Soundbar uses the SoundTouch app instead of the Bose Music App. This SoundTouch app, apart from being available for computers (Windows and Mac) as well as mobile devices; is able to stream a music library.

This music library can be sourced from a computer hard drive, or a compatible NAS drive. You have noted here that you're interested in using WinAMP. While this service is not supported, the music libraries supported by SoundTouch are iTunes and Windows Media Player libraries, which you could transfer to from WinAMP.

Using this app through Wi-Fi, you would be able to stream to the Soundbar from the computer in the way that you have described here.

I hope this helps you make a decision you're happy with, and please let me know if you have any further questions!

Liam W - Community Support

View solution in original post

Participant
Registered since

Jan 26, 2020

I also have the Soundbar 700 with the corresponding base and mid modules. The SoundTouch app noted in your recommendation, is complete garbage... it crashes immediately on starting it (Windows 10) every single time. It is absolutely and completely impossible to use... it is/was a complete waste of the $4.99 it cost to buy it from Windows Store. I wish I had checked the reviews on it before I purchased it... lesson learned. I strongly suggest you remove it from your Bose recommendation.

Participant
Registered since

May 15, 2020

I also would like to be able to play music through wifi on my bose soundbar 700 from my windows pc, however I find this answer a bit weird. Why would you recommend buying a different soundbar when this person, and myself, already bought the more expensive soundbar 700? I don't want to be disrespectful but that seems very odd.

Since this was posted a while ago I wonder if there is already a way to do this by now?

Thank you,

Best regards,

Bart

Participant
Registered since

Jul 8, 2019

Hello Bart

I do not know if they ever up dated this but i found a Bluetooth adapter for cheap on amazon and it works. 

ASUS USB Bluetooth Adapter for about $15

The only issue i found with this adapter is that it needs a USB 2.0 port. it does not work in USB 3.0. Also if you switch sources on your soundbar when you switch back to Bluetooth you will need to reconnect from the computer. and depending on what version of windows you have it could be a bit tricky on finding how to to do that. 

On windows10 you will need to go through "control Panel" (not "settings" in the start button area) and then click on sound. there you will find the device and if you right click you can tell it to reconnect. 

If you cant find control panel, you can locate it by using the search area next or in the start button

If you need help just post here and let me know. 

Rolo

Participant
Registered since

Dec 3, 2020

I would like to use Bose Music App with Windows 10 PC, Mac PC (macOS Catalina) and Macbook (also with macOs Catalina).  I downloaded Bose Connect and Speakers could not be found for Bose Smart Home Speakers (I have Bose Portable Smart speaker and Bose Home Speaker 500).  I prefer not to use bluetooth connections for the Bose Smart Home speakers.  Please provide the best connections, Airplay, etc and when you will come out with Windows 10 and Mac downloads.  I intend to buy more Bose Smart Home products but this problem deters me from getting more Bose Smart Home purchases.

Participant
Registered since

Dec 3, 2020

Correction to above, I downloaded Bose SoundTouch from this link https://downloads.bose.com/ced/soundtouch/soundtouch_controller_app/index.html and Bose Smart Home speakers could not be found.  Should there be similar downloads for Windows 10 and Mac?