rolodius
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jul 8, 2019

Streaming music/sound from computer to Bose 700 by Ethernet cable

I purchased a Bose 700 soundbar/subwoffer and have set it up with the Bose music app on my Note 8 for my entertainment center. It works and sounds great. Here is my delima. I have a ton of music that i would also like to access from my home desktop in another room. Is there a way to stream my sound from my computer to my speaker. Would like to set it as a Default speaker in windows if possible to avoid being restricted to Windows Media player. Is there an app avalible from Bose that works on windows 10?

my dream is to set as a speaker within windows and able to play from WinAMP (i'm old school and i loved this for playing music) or any program within windows. while keeping it conneted to the entertainment center for when i watch shows. 

Thanks and i greatly appricate your time. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Streaming music/sound from computer to Bose 700 by Ethernet cable

Author Accepted Answer selected by rolodius

Hello @rolodius and welcome to the Bose Community!

I'm glad to hear that you enjoy the Sound quality of our Soundbar, and understand that you're looking to set this up to play from a library!

At the current time for this Soundbar, the only ways to play from a computer would be via a Bluetooth connection, or via a direct cable (HDMI or Optical). There is no desktop app (for windows or Mac) that would allow you to do this at this time. Using an Ethernet cable would not allow you to do this, as this sort of information cannot be transferred from a computer to a speaker via this cable.

With that in mind, I have relayed the feedback onto the development team for you to encourage this as a future feature, and would advise anyone on the Community with a similar desire to express interest as well.

In this instance, I would refer you to the SoundTouch 300 Soundbar. This is very similar in style, size and function to the Soundbar 700 that you own, and is also compatible with the same Acoustimass Bass Module 700 you are using with this as well.

This Soundbar uses the SoundTouch app instead of the Bose Music App. This SoundTouch app, apart from being available for computers (Windows and Mac) as well as mobile devices; is able to stream a music library.

This music library can be sourced from a computer hard drive, or a compatible NAS drive. You have noted here that you're interested in using WinAMP. While this service is not supported, the music libraries supported by SoundTouch are iTunes and Windows Media Player libraries, which you could transfer to from WinAMP.

Using this app through Wi-Fi, you would be able to stream to the Soundbar from the computer in the way that you have described here.

I hope this helps you make a decision you're happy with, and please let me know if you have any further questions!

Liam W - Community Support

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Re: Streaming music/sound from computer to Bose 700 by Ethernet cable

Author Accepted Answer selected by rolodius

Hello @rolodius and welcome to the Bose Community!

I'm glad to hear that you enjoy the Sound quality of our Soundbar, and understand that you're looking to set this up to play from a library!

At the current time for this Soundbar, the only ways to play from a computer would be via a Bluetooth connection, or via a direct cable (HDMI or Optical). There is no desktop app (for windows or Mac) that would allow you to do this at this time. Using an Ethernet cable would not allow you to do this, as this sort of information cannot be transferred from a computer to a speaker via this cable.

With that in mind, I have relayed the feedback onto the development team for you to encourage this as a future feature, and would advise anyone on the Community with a similar desire to express interest as well.

In this instance, I would refer you to the SoundTouch 300 Soundbar. This is very similar in style, size and function to the Soundbar 700 that you own, and is also compatible with the same Acoustimass Bass Module 700 you are using with this as well.

This Soundbar uses the SoundTouch app instead of the Bose Music App. This SoundTouch app, apart from being available for computers (Windows and Mac) as well as mobile devices; is able to stream a music library.

This music library can be sourced from a computer hard drive, or a compatible NAS drive. You have noted here that you're interested in using WinAMP. While this service is not supported, the music libraries supported by SoundTouch are iTunes and Windows Media Player libraries, which you could transfer to from WinAMP.

Using this app through Wi-Fi, you would be able to stream to the Soundbar from the computer in the way that you have described here.

I hope this helps you make a decision you're happy with, and please let me know if you have any further questions!

Liam W - Community Support