Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 26, 2020

Support For Outdoor Speakers

Hello,

I recently bought a Soundbar 700 and I am looking to continue to outfit my home with Bose products. In the past the outdoor speakers that are mountable and permanently installed were compatible with SoundTouch and could be included in speaker groups. Are there any plans to make the outdoor speaker line compatible with the SoundLink Line so they can be added to speaker groups through the Bose Music App? Without this support you can't really build a whole home audio system like you used to be able to. At least I don't see a way. Is there a solution to this or plans for the future? Without the current ability to include the Bose speakers into Google Home Groups my options seem really limited.

Thanks,

Nick

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

Re: Support For Outdoor Speakers

At this stage there is still an overlap on what SoundTouch and the Smart speaker range should do, but they are missing a couple of gaps.

One gap is that they have not updated the SA5 to link in with the Soundbar 700s.  So you probably have a couple of options (which may depend on what else you have).

1) Short term solution would be using the Portable Home Speaker outside.  This gives you an option to link in, but also use it portably.  Then if they bring out a Smart speaker amp, you can make a permanent outdoor solution as you originally intended (and still have a portable option for moving around the house or when you go anywhere).

2) Use the SA5 outside.  There is a drawback of using 2 apps to do roughly the same thing, but the SA5 can act independently. 

Now, if that's within around 10m of the soundbar, you can now retransmit over BT to the SA5 - it still requires the ST app to control volume, but at least you can link them in.

Or if you use Apple devices you can use Airplay over your wifi to play to both speakers at once.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 26, 2020

Morlock,

Thanks for the reply. It seems that Bose has not taken all of these things into account. It would seem that they can easily solve so many issues if they would just allow Bose Smart Speakers to join Google Home groups. People don't buy Bose specifically for the assistant (while it does help), but rather for sound quality. I don't see how allowing the speakers to join assistant speaker groups would affect their sales. If anything it turns people off that they can't utilize these systems as part of a full home google assistant speaker group solution.

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

I don't think it's so much them stopping it affecting their sales (as they can group with other speakers with airplay).  But for everything they add wit any of the assistants, they have to go through certification with Google.  So either Google don't want them too, or they haven't done it well enough for google to allow them to. 

It's similar to why Bose is restricted to allowing Google Assistant to certain countries, as they have to pass tests for language/accents etc.  It's not as simple as using Googles architecture, they have to integrate it fully (If it was as easy as flipping a switch to turn these features on I'm sure they would do it).