Highlighted
vineryap
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 24, 2019

Surround Speakers 700, is it worth it?

Hello, can anybody that has an experience with surround speakers 700 tell me the difference with the old Surround speakers?

How much difference does it makes?

I’m considering to buy it but would like to hear it from the users first because it’s hard to decide just by seeing the product page that has no specifications detail nor the logical explanation of the technology on the speakers that would produce a nice sound. 

If it’s not worth it then I’ll just buy the old surround speakers since they are cheaper.

Thanks

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Re: Surround Speakers 700, is it worth it?

I don't know, but I think it might depend on your speaker placement as much as anything.  If you need/want the 360 degree sound, then I would say yes.  On the other hand, if you have them placed in the very back corners of the room, then maybe not.

Highlighted
vineryap
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 24, 2019

@Xyz987 I'm not planning to put it on the very corner of the room but I'm wondering what would 360-degree projection do for the SB700 surround system, will there be any significant difference or maybe the 360 degree sound speakers will play a role if Bose upgrades the Audio codec/tech to such as Dolby TrueHD or Atmos.

I know they only support 5.1 channel right now but usually more channel can be enabled with firmware updates and we will only need to add more accessories to the system.

Highlighted
Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Of course, as another customer, I have no idea what Bose may or may not do in the future.  There is no way Bose could do Dolby Atmos without adding more speakers.  It might be possible they could do higher resolution within their existing hardware, I don't know.

Personally, I think any significantly improved sound from Bose would be introduced with totally new systems that included more or different speaker and drivers, etc.  I like to buy products based on what their specifications are today, not what they may or may not become in the future.  If I was buying my Bose system today, I would probably buy the 360 degree speakers if I could afford them.

Highlighted
RAMSHIK
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Mar 12, 2019

@vineryap

Hi, I bought a surround speaker 700 and this is what I could say after two months.

What I liked:

1.They are very beautiful and compact.

2. 5.1 is now complete, if the film is of good quality (5.1 DD) then just wow.

What I didn’t like:

1. To make them audible you need to unscrew the volume for them in the application at +100

2. To play music, they play quietly, you can hear them, but I want them to be louder.

3. I listened to them for a long time and can’t say that the 360 ​​effect is worth it, since they are almost inaudible and there is no effect, they are better than the previous model, but BOSE cannot configure them correctly.

Highlighted
RAMSHIK
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Mar 12, 2019

@Xyz987

Until Bose tunes them up, do not waste your money in vain; they play very quietly and you won’t feel any 360, I’m telling you as the owne

Highlighted
Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

I already have the Bose Nearly Invisible Surround Speakers which I am very happy with.  They are as loud as they should be for Dolby Digital 5.1 movies.  I turn them off for listening to music.  I prefer stereo for music.

Highlighted
vineryap
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 24, 2019

hi @RAMSHIK 

Thank you for the pros and cons.

You also did mention that is it better than the previous version in what way that it is better?

Highlighted
RAMSHIK
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Mar 12, 2019

@vineryap

I listened to them for an hour, and I can say that the new model is different in that the sound is clearer, in the old model it sounds like it is scattered, there is very little detail, and it plays very quietly.

Based on this we get:

+1 brighter sound

+2 Sound Level Up

+3 we get a sound at 360 that the boss knows how to do well, in 5.1 I hear not individual surround points, I hear the background sound with a large area with bright effects.

+4 Louder sound

RAMSHIK
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Mar 12, 2019

@Xyz987

It seems to me that they should be a little louder by 20 percent since the soundbar very loudly plays the center and two front channels and the rear speakers are a little muffled. I know how to play 5.1 Bose does everything right, but I would tighten the rear.

When listening to music, yylovs play well.

When setting up ADAPTIQ, I hear what they are capable of and would like to get the same loud effect from the rear speakers as from the soundbar