Jim JJ
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 9, 2019

Re: Switch input sound on Bose 700 soundbar

Agree we need this feature.

Better yet I need to be able to tell Alexa to change the input.

joefish
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jan 14, 2019

Just got my 700 soundbar and yes quite disappointing that the fundamental feature for the app such as switching source is not possible on a basically an amp with speakers.  Please update your app with this feature.   Ideally while the app is running there should be section on the app which always display the current input and on selection allows you to change quickly.   Also I hope alexa allows me to voice control the input source, I have yet to setup and test this out.  If not again this is a huge disappoint for such a highly priced premium package.

paulornothing
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 14, 2019

Hi There,

I too find it frustrating that the input doesn't automatically switch inputs if you stop music, and turn the tv on. 

If there is to be a request for a future development/update, surely the objective should be that the soundbar automatically switches the input based on where it receives data from. My previous non bose sound bar did this, whereby it automatically switched to the input thats providing a feed.

Additionally, it would be very useful if there was an Alexa command too.

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Mr. Islander wrote:

>How can I change the audio source from bose music to TV  without using the remote. Because of the backlight issue I have decided not to use my bose remote. 
When I am listening to music and want to stop and start watching a movie or just TV,  I am unable to change the source using the music app. Am I just missing something or is this not possible to do within the app. 

Good idea. I noticed competitor apps do have the ability to switch back and forth between components. I imagine not an easy feat considering all the troubles with ARC and CEC and not just with Bose products.

Please do so without dropping the Bose remote. The remote has been dropped from the Smart Home 500 speaker. One star, on an otherwise five star product lost! I for one don’t like the idea of having to rely on my iPhone or iPad to control my music audio components beyond configuring initial setup and presets for the remote.

Hello All,

Thank you for all the posts and feedback.

I can assure you this has been asked for by customers and it has been raised to development as a feature request.

If there are any new updates or information regarding this feature, we'll share it with the community. 

Kind Regards,

Joel - Community Support

Smansro
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 12, 2018

Thanks Joel.

As several clients have asked for this feature to be added, would be good to inform community when the app update will be released with this feature added. For such a big company as Bose, such an update should be made available ASAP. Even much smaller companies have more regular app updates throughout, while I can’t even recall an update from the Bose app for a while. It’s not appropriate to leave the answer so open and some indication of timing would be appreciated.
TommyAB
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 25, 2019

Hi. Please keep us informed. I switched from a Sonos Beam to Bose 700. The Sonos changed input with Alexa and it was a great feature. While the Bose sounds great compared to the Sonos, this feels like a huge gap in the Bose’s capabilities that makes the user experience frustrating.
Andreas Buehler
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Mar 14, 2017

Hi GorFex,
can you describe your ‚setup‘? What exactly is named Bose? The TV too? is it a group?
Maybe an alexa routine could do the trick too, like first turning it off and then on again? 🙂
GorFex
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Dec 7, 2018

@Andreas Buehler wrote:
Hi GorFex,
can you describe your ‚setup‘? What exactly is named Bose? The TV too? is it a group?
Maybe an alexa routine could do the trick too, like first turning it off and then on again? 🙂

______________________________________________________________________________________

Hi.

I have my TV connected to the Sound Bar via HDMI ARC, and CEC (power control) is enabled in the TV settings, so that the Sound Bar can turn the TV on and off. 

The Sound Bar is connected to my home WiFi.

In the Bose Music App setup, I named the Sound Bar simply to "Bose".

Under Settings:

Product Name-->Bose

Voice Assitant--> Authorized--> (My Alexa Account)

Sharing-->Enabled-->Share With Everyone On My Network

POWER

• Power Sync-->TV
  • Optic Auto-Wake-->Off
  • Advanced CEC-->On
  • Standby Timer-->Never

In the Alexa App, under devises, it sees "Bose".  When I click on it, it says "Bose Soundbar 700".

In the Alexa App, under Device Settings for the Soundbar

GENERAL

• Do Not Disturb-->Off
  • Communications-->Enabled
  • Location-->(My Home Address)
  • Time Zone-->(My Time Zone)
  • Follow-up Mode-->Off

And that's about it.  The key is, if there are two white lights like this --  -- on the front of the Soundbar, then it is in Alexa / Music Mode.  In this case, whether the TV is on or off, Alexa will be in "Amazon" mode, and the TV won't respond.  If I want to watch TV, I say "Alexa, Turn Off Bose" and then the two lights go away.  Then, I say, "Alexa, Turn On Bose" and this will turn on the TV and put the Soundbar in TV mode.

When it's in TV mode, I can ask Alexa things like "What time is it?" or "What is the temperature outside"...basic stuff.  It will work with the TV and and no problems.  However, if I pause the TV and want to listen to music, and I tell Alexa, "Alexa, play music by Michael Jackson" then the TV stays on, but the Soundbar switches to Music mode.  At this point, if I want to go back to the TV, I either have to use the Bose Remote and select TV, or, I can say, "Alexa, Turn Off Bose" followed by "Alexa, Turn On Bose" and that will reset it to TV mode.  The TV will turn off, and then turn back on with the Soundbar in TV mode.

Also, I can control volume while in TV mode, but Alexa seems to only pick up my voice some of the time.  It's like it competes with sound coming from the TV.  This gets frustrating, but only happens about 10% of the time, especially if the volume is loud.  In these cases, I just use the Bose remote to turn down the volume.

I hope this helps.  Let me know if you have other questions!

Highlighted
jlaughlin21
Silent Starter
Registered since

Feb 5, 2019

Hi Joel,

Any update here? Agree with the other users that this is a huge functionality miss with the 700.

Out of curiosity, does Bose publish a commited feature release roadmap so that we know what is coming?

Thanks,

Jeremy