Arian
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Apr 20, 2019

Re: Switch input sound on Bose 700 soundbar

...or switching off tv (by remote) and bose from bose app.

then switch all on...

incredible bug....

mrjmwalker
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 31, 2019

I understand the primary design in which the soundbar 700 would work, is this:

All your devices that are a source for video and Audio (that is: sky box HD plus,the DVD player,the Apple TV and an old video recorder that has been converted to HDMI), are to plug in to your TV.  Then, the TV connects to the sound bar via ARC return.  

The end result is: you change inputs on your tv (between sky box HD plus,the DVD player,the Apple TV and an old video recorder that has been converted to HDMI), which will not only bring the video content on the screen, but simultaneously send the corresponding audio out of the TV (via ARC return) into the soundbar.  

TommyAB
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 25, 2019

The problem, for example, is switching between playing music on Amazon Music or Spotify and then back to the TV. I have no issues going between my Now TV box and YouView box. But if you want to listen to Spotify or the radio and then go back to the TV via Alexa you cant. You need to dig out the super clunky Bose remote specifically for that one job. Or turn the whole thing off and on again. Just feels amateur-ish. It is not the case with a Sonos bar for example, where Alexa will switch.

mrjmwalker
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 31, 2019

Right.  Well, if you're willing so spend a few more dollars, here is a work around that is working for me:

I purchased a "B.One Eazy Universal Remote"  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KR91C5C/

Within its feature/functionality, I was able to program the B.One device to out-pulse as if it was the Bose Soundbar Remote (I accomplished this using the manual programming method they offer).  Another B.One device feature is creating 'Quick Actions' and custom naming them.  I made one called "TV Input" and mapped it to out-pulse the "TV input" button press.  

Now I have two more ways to have the soundbar switch back to the TV Input after using spotify or some other source.

1) use the B.One app and tap the programmed command.

2) sync my B.One acccount go Google Home/Amazon Alexa and use my voice to do this. e.g. :"Hey google activate switch to tv input" or "Hey Google Switch to TV Input".  The voice command you speak is determined by what you naming you chose in the B.One app.

I like #2 the most, personally.

Also, a B.One quick-action can do multiple things with one voice command.  e.g. I've setup my TV screen with B.One and created another quick-action called "Watch TV".  If the TV was off and I was listening to spotify, but then decided to watch TV, I can now saw: Hey google, activate watch TV, which powers on my screen and switches soundbar to TV input. 

TommyAB
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 25, 2019

I have a Universal One For All remote and I cannot get the switch to work. What works is fiddling around by turning on and off various elements of my set up and after about 15 minutes the switch to TV happens. Very random and chaotic and not what Bose had in mind I’m sure. Alexa has improved in terms of channel changing and TV input switching (hdmi 2 to hdmi 4 etc). But the switch from (for example) Spotify to TV is clearly still eluding the company all these months later. Can it be so hard? Why the complete radio silence from Bose about progress? It makes the product feel so amateur-ish.

Arian
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Apr 20, 2019

Totally agree with you...incredible that after many and many message nobody do something in bose

Vero frustrating...

joefish
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jan 14, 2019

Indeed.  Hence I not since purchased a Bose product since.  I would have got some earphones, headphones, new smart bluetooh speakers from them if they actually had a clue what important on their consumers.  The product may sound half decent.  But everything else is on the other scale.

Chappomcc
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 30, 2018

Come on Bose- this has been an issue for so many people and 18 months later still nothing ....... 

vsterian
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

May 20, 2019

Hi Guys,

After months and months of frustration, I've decided to take the problem in my own hands.After some days of struggle, I've come up with a method in which I can change the source to TV or any using my smartphone or alexa or whatever you want.

A small disclaimer: you will need a lot of time, patience, some technical knowledge, some troubleshooting....you got the point, it's not that easy.

First of all, i will explain a little bit my setup.

1. Bose SoundTouch 300 (does not matter if is 300 or 700 or 500), it must be from SoundTouch series;

2. Samsung Smartthings V3 Hub, with WebCore installed;

3. Amazon Alexa

4. Bose Developers Account

The "brain" behind this whole thing it's the Smartthing Hub.With this hub you can automate almost everything in your home, starting from simple lights, switches and ending, of course, with Bose Soundbar.I've installed on this hub the WebCore app.This Smart App it's a very...let me say one more time VERY powerful tool where you can manually create different automation scenarios using from simple If That then That rules, to making very hard to understand programing functions.This is what I've used in our scenario.

So, the first step would be to find a platform where you can manage the Bose Dev API, and use it as you desire.

The second step would be to create a Bose Developers Account and get used a little with the functions that they have there.After some hours of reading, I've decided to test some functions.

I've installed "curl" and input there a command:

curl -X POST -H 'application/xml;charset=utf-8' -d '<?xml version="1.0" ?><ContentItem source="PRODUCT" sourceAccount="TV"></ContentItem>' http://<soundtouch ip address>:8090/select

and voila, the Bose SoundTouch switched to TV source very fast.

After this step, I've moved to my programing software WebCore, where I've made a so called Piston, where I've replicated the command that it's written above.

For those of you that are lucky enough to have Smartthings Hub with WebCore installed , "c598w" it's my piston code;you can import it right away.

In essence you must find a platform from where you must create a POST function with "application/xml" type, "<?xml version="1.0" ?><ContentItem source="PRODUCT" sourceAccount="TV"></ContentItem>" as a BODY and send it directly to "192.x.x.x:8090/select" URL. 

After you do this, you have yourself a brand new switch.

The third step would be to create some kind a virtual switch, that can be discovered and edited in Amazon Alexa app.After this step, I think the things are pretty straight forward.

Hope I brought some light upon this topic.It can be done!

I wish you a lot of luck! If you are having further issues, don't hesitate to write me.I'm not geeky enough, but if I know and if I can, I will help you!

Thank you,

Vlad 

TommyAB
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 25, 2019

Maybe Bose can give you a job. They don’t seem to be able to manage it!