jswift286
Participant
Registered since

May 25, 2021

Tidal FLAC into DD on Bose 700 Soundbar

I have found a superior way to stream audio on the Bose 700, and it runs like this. Tidal Hifi -> Nvidia Shield Pro -> Vizio TV -> Bose 700. This sounds better than every other audio streaming, including Bose's music app.

I believe that what's happening is the FLAC file is getting recoded into DD AC-3, which would typically always be compressed, and both FLAC and AC-3 would be capable of 16-bit, 44 khz audio. But since it's just a conversion, am I getting the equivalent of what would be uncompressed AC-3? 

I think there is a lot of wonder in the community what the Bose 700 does with various forms of stereo formats, such as FLAC, Vorbis, MP3, Wav. I believe it's converting them all the AC-3. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
NeonsNight
Expert
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

Re: Tidal FLAC into DD on Bose 700 Soundbar

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Vicky_W

@jswift286 wrote:

OK thanks... a lot of interesting information. Thanks for clarifying on the LPCM. A lot of people wonder why Bose put the eArc on there and then would comment on boards that it can play DD and DTS.

Well, the guide I made should help clarify that as TV's were the major problem there as ARC & Optical have major limits while eARC was designed to get around them... assuming the TV can process the audio format being sent to it.

00227116_HDMI ARC connection-2.png

@jswift286 wrote:

As much as I understand, the limit to optical is just bandwidth, and I've seen people say it's minimum requirements would be enough to send a 16-bit 44 khz stereo signal. 

It comes down to the standard that was designed back in 1983. According to Wikipedia "S/PDIF can carry two channels of uncompressed PCM audio or compressed 5.1/7.1 surround sound (such as DTS audio codec); it cannot support lossless surround formats that require greater bandwidth" 

Most companies need a standards agency to modify and upgrade standards (as HDMI & USB has), if that doesn't happen then companies typically stick to the standard as it is and wait for a new one to come around that can improve upon it.

@jswift286 wrote:

But once you add in a video signal or surround sound, I'm sure that'd get murked up pretty quickly. Anyways, it's passing the ear test and if I can at least get CD quality out in the end, I am happy. 

Optical Cables only support audio and not video.

@jswift286 wrote:

My only other issue is when the audio drops a millisecond every so often when playing DD over the soundbar. A lot of people have been complaining about this. I've tried every different way and different cable to fix it, but can't. Anyways, the good thing is that it's rated much higher in stereo that DD (it does play much clearer, but seems to lose a bit of the special effects), but I still consider it a major flaw. Not sure you have anything to add but I think I tried it all. 

You need to discover if this is the TV, the Shield, the SoundBar, or the Cable. A lot of variables there. It would be best to call up Bose and get them to help you over the phone and let us know what happened 🙂

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
NeonsNight
Expert
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

@jswift286 wrote:

I have found a superior way to stream audio on the Bose 700, and it runs like this. Tidal Hifi -> Nvidia Shield Pro -> Vizio TV -> Bose 700. This sounds better than every other audio streaming, including Bose's music app.

I believe that what's happening is the FLAC file is getting recoded into DD AC-3, which would typically always be compressed, and both FLAC and AC-3 would be capable of 16-bit, 44 khz audio. But since it's just a conversion, am I getting the equivalent of what would be uncompressed AC-3? 

I think there is a lot of wonder in the community what the Bose 700 does with various forms of stereo formats, such as FLAC, Vorbis, MP3, Wav. I believe it's converting them all the AC-3. 

AC-3 aka Dolby Digital is a compressed audio format. The only way to keep it lossless is if the nVidia Shield Pro can output LPCM. I go over two ways to get LPCM to the SoundBar 700 in this guide.

I hope that this helps answer your question. Let us know what you end up doing 🙂

jswift286
Participant
Registered since

May 25, 2021

So you're saying that the Bose 700 will play Lossless Stereo PCM over optical? Now that I think about it, the Shield says it will output PCM 16-bit, so it must be outputting the Tidal FLAC in that format. People have asked similar questions on the board the it was replied simply that the Bose only plays DD and DTS, so I assumed it was recoding. 

Reading through your page, it also says you can play 5.1 LPCM over the Bose 700. I believe that can be either 16-bit or 24-bit, and assume the Bose maxes out at 16-bit since DD is it's max surround sound option. Is that part correct? The only way I have to stream 24-bit music anyways is through Amazon HD on my Fire Cube, and i much prefer to use my Shield over the Cube. 

NeonsNight
Expert
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

@jswift286 wrote:

So you're saying that the Bose 700 will play Lossless Stereo PCM over optical? 

PCM is the digital representation of an analog signal. My understanding is Optical does not produce lossless signals.

That being said, I have only really looked into surround sound and not stereo sound when it comes to optical. So it is only an educated guess. I would be happy to be shown to be incorrect if you can find a reliable source that says otherwise 🙂

@jswift286 wrote:

Now that I think about it, the Shield says it will output PCM 16-bit, so it must be outputting the Tidal FLAC in that format. People have asked similar questions on the board the it was replied simply that the Bose only plays DD and DTS, so I assumed it was recoding. 

It would be best to get an Nvidia engineer to confirm this one way or the other.

@jswift286 wrote:

Reading through your page, it also says you can play 5.1 LPCM over the Bose 700. 

Yes, but ONLY via an eARC connection.

@jswift286 wrote:

I believe that can be either 16-bit or 24-bit, and assume the Bose maxes out at 16-bit since DD is it's max surround sound option. Is that part correct? 

No idea, a Bose admin here or a Bose engineer would have to verify this as Bose typically doesn't advertise bits. But DD & DTS is not the max surround-sound option. LPCM is.

@jswift286 wrote:

The only way I have to stream 24-bit music anyways is through Amazon HD on my Fire Cube, and i much prefer to use my Shield over the Cube. 

Well, the Amazon Fire Cube or the Nvidia Shield would have to pass that sound through your TV (or through the splitter I mentioned in the guide). If the TV reduces or changes the sound quality to pass it onto 3rd party speakers, it wouldn't matter what the SoundBar 700 supports, as the TV would ultimately limit what sound is sent to your Bose system.

jswift286
Participant
Registered since

May 25, 2021

OK thanks... a lot of interesting information. Thanks for clarifying on the LPCM. A lot of people wonder why Bose put the eArc on there and then would comment on boards that it can play DD and DTS.

As much as I understand, the limit to optical is just bandwidth, and I've seen people say it's minimum requirements would be enough to send a 16-bit 44 khz stereo signal. But once you add in a video signal or surround sound, I'm sure that'd get murked up pretty quickly. Anyways, it's passing the ear test and if I can at least get CD quality out in the end, I am happy. 

My only other issue is when the audio drops a millisecond every so often when playing DD over the soundbar. A lot of people have been complaining about this. I've tried every different way and different cable to fix it, but can't. Anyways, the good thing is that it's rated much higher in stereo that DD (it does play much clearer, but seems to lose a bit of the special effects), but I still consider it a major flaw. Not sure you have anything to add but I think I tried it all. 

NeonsNight
Expert
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Vicky_W

@jswift286 wrote:

Well, the guide I made should help clarify that as TV's were the major problem there as ARC & Optical have major limits while eARC was designed to get around them... assuming the TV can process the audio format being sent to it.

00227116_HDMI ARC connection-2.png

@jswift286 wrote:

As much as I understand, the limit to optical is just bandwidth, and I've seen people say it's minimum requirements would be enough to send a 16-bit 44 khz stereo signal. 

It comes down to the standard that was designed back in 1983. According to Wikipedia "S/PDIF can carry two channels of uncompressed PCM audio or compressed 5.1/7.1 surround sound (such as DTS audio codec); it cannot support lossless surround formats that require greater bandwidth" 

Most companies need a standards agency to modify and upgrade standards (as HDMI & USB has), if that doesn't happen then companies typically stick to the standard as it is and wait for a new one to come around that can improve upon it.

@jswift286 wrote:

But once you add in a video signal or surround sound, I'm sure that'd get murked up pretty quickly. Anyways, it's passing the ear test and if I can at least get CD quality out in the end, I am happy. 

Optical Cables only support audio and not video.

@jswift286 wrote:

You need to discover if this is the TV, the Shield, the SoundBar, or the Cable. A lot of variables there. It would be best to call up Bose and get them to help you over the phone and let us know what happened 🙂

View solution in original post

Xyz987
Expert
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

I stream from Tidal and Qobuz using Roon and a Roon Nucleus.  From the Nucleus, the lossless files go by ethernet back to my router, then ethernet to Oppo 203.  From there, I bypass the Oppo DAC and send digital to LG OLED then to Bose Soundtouch 300 by HDMI.

So, in this scenario, it remains in lossless digital until reaching the Bose.  Problem is, I have no idea what DAC is included in the Bose Soundtouch 300 and what output that DAC is capable of.  While it sounds great, it does not sound nearly as good as when I use my Meridian Prime Headphone Amplifier and Focal Clear headphones.  The Meridian Prime can output 24/192 and is an MQA decoder.