Harrybo916
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 14, 2019

Tunein radio and google assistant

hi there, I’ve been having ongoing issues with my Bose home speaker 500 and using tunein with google assistant.

When I ask for certain stations (all the BBC Stations I’ve tried so far) the station cannot be found yet I can access the stations through the Bose music app (tunein section). I’ve tried unplugging and this did not work.

Example:

I ask: “hey google play bbc radio one”

google: “sure, playing bbc radio one”

google: “sorry, it looks like what you asked for isn’t currently available on tune in”

Hopefully someone can help,

Thanks!

Harry

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

Re: Tunein radio and google assistant

Hey Harrybo916, 

Thanks for posting today. 

Let's see what we can do to resolve this together. I would like to start by asking a few things: 

• Have you connected TuneIn, within your Google Assistant app? 
  • Which region are you in? 
  • Do you have any other Google Assistant devices that you can test and see if this works on? 
  • Has this worked previously? 

I look forward to your reply. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W - Community Support 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Harrybo916
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 14, 2019

Hi Vicky, thanks for getting back so quickly, answers below

• Have you connected TuneIn, within your Google Assistant app? 

I haven't done this, I googled it and haven't managed to find a way to do it, is it even possible? When searching I did come across others that have had similar probs on other 'non google' made products and tunein.

• Which region are you in? 

UK

• Do you have any other Google Assistant devices that you can test and see if this works on?

Yes I have a google home mini and it works fine when I ask for the stations.

• Has this worked previously? 

Not on my Bose home speaker 500

Cheers!

Harry

Highlighted

Hey Harry, 

Thanks for getting back to me. 

To enable TuneIn, please open your Google Assistant app, click on 'Find things your assistant can do' > search 'TuneIn' > click 'Send to device' > select your Home Speaker 500. 

Please can you let me know if this allows you to use your Google Assistant to search for a TuneIn station? 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W 

New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Harrybo916
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 14, 2019

hi, that doesn't work, unfortunately. When I search for tunein I only get an option to 'try it', there is no option to 'send to device'. When I tap 'try it' it asks the assistant to play something then takes me to the tunein app. I took a video on my phone so you can see what I mean.

https://we.tl/t-ZWS9nBqryx 

Highlighted

Hello Harry, 

Thanks for getting back to me.

I am so sorry you are still having this issue. As you have tried all troubleshooting steps, the best option here would be to reach out to your local customer support team. They will be able to talk this through with you in more detail and look into your system.  You can do this by clicking this link here

Alternatively, if anyone in the community has a workaround, we would love to hear it. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W 

Highlighted
Harrybo916
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 14, 2019

Hi, I’ve spoken to my local customer support and while this definitely isn’t a fix, here’s the update to my specific issues, it seems it’s BBC/tunein/google related.

Due to some kind of legal dispute the BBC have pulled all of their stations from tunein when used on certain devices with google assistant, the Bose home speaker being one of them. There is an Alexa work around.

The recommendation was to set the stations up pre-sets on the speaker and keep a look out to see if the issue is resolved in the future!

Harry