Turning on/Phillips Hue/Sync box

Bose product name

Sound bar 700, sub, surround

Country

Canada

Firmware Version

10.0.10-8565+88f8514

App Version

What devices were you using that were affected and what version are they on (e.g. Samsung Galaxy S9 on Android 11, iPhone X on iOS14, etc.)iPhone 11 I guess

Detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce

randomly throughout the night from 11pm-6am, the tv, Bose soundbar, sub, surround and the Phillips Hue lighting system, including the hue sync box, turn on to full brightness. I don’t understand how I can shut something off either through the apps or the remotes, and they turn on at random times. I’ve also come home to the system on lights, tv and sound. Help!

What environment do you experience the issue in? (e.g. noisy office, quiet kitchen, etc.)middle of the night for hours randomly

When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously?

This past week, yes, everything fine before that.

Any troubleshooting steps you took

Reset and installed everything again 

3 REPLIES 3
Keith_L

Re: Turning on/Phillips Hue/Sync box

Hi Tayor1701,

Welcome to the Community, thanks for posting!

Resetting and reinstalling your devices are all great steps to take to resolve an issue like this with devices turning on by themselves, so thank you for doing that and letting us know!

Are you using any voice assistants with your soundbar at all? If so, which one? From how you are describing this, it does sound like lights, soundbar, and TV are being turned on simultaneously. For this to be possible something would have to be triggering all the devices to turn on at the same time and it's most likely that a voice assistant would have access to all of these devices at once, as these are one of the few things that would be able to control all of them. There may be something in the voice assistant setup that is turning these devices on, that you would need to look into. If you aren't using a voice assistant, do you have any other systems that control your smart devices?

As you mentioned this is happening at random times, have you noticed any pattern to when it will happen at all? You mentioned it was mostly at night, is it always a certain amount of time after you turn the lights or soundbar off, or anything like that?

I look forward to getting to the bottom of this with you!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Taylor1701
Participant
Registered since

Dec 25, 2020

Hey,

So here is my set up: solo 5 in the second bedroom (but I don’t think it has voice activation), 500 sound bar and sub in my bedroom, and the 700 and sub in living room. Recently I’ve been shutting the living room set up off at night from the power bar, if I don’t it activates roughly every hour, both tv and sound. Lastly I have a smoke and co2 called Onelink in my hallway. All using Alexa. Sometimes when a commercial plays and speaks ‘Alexa’ the other devices turn on but my problem is at night when all are off and I’m trying to sleep 😴. My Siri isn’t connected to these, only Alexa. I’ve turned all all proximity sensors as well, but when I get 

home my lights and/or tv is on sometimes. I have no idea. 

Keith_L

Thanks for letting me know that Taylor1701. As you mentioned you also have a Soundbar 500, has this ever turned on as well, or only the Soundbar 700?

With the TV and the Soundbar 700, are they connected with an HDIM cable, or optical cable? If you were to disconnect this cable from the soundbar and TV at night, would both the soundbar and TV still turn on? It's possible that only one of the TV and Soundbar is being turned on by something, then they are sending a command to the other to turn on. So for example, if something was turning on the soundbar wirelessly, it can power on the TV through the HDMI cable. This means if you disconnect the HDMI cable, and only the soundbar turns on, you know the soundbar is turning both on, or if only the TV is turning on, you know the TV is turning both on.

It's also worth removing Alexa from the soundbar and seeing if this stops it from turning on overnight. To remove Alexa follow the steps shown HERE, then you can test and see if Alexa was the culprit for turning the soundbar on overnight.

One thing to consider as well, as you do have multiple smart devices turning on together, do you have any Alexa routines that involve these devices? If so, try disabling these and see if the devices no longer turn on. I know I once had an issue where my TV would turn itself on because a routine was set to turn off all my devices with a single command, but my Fire TV stick would turn on if it was already off for some reason, and this would turn the TV on. You could have something similar happening in your setup.

Let me know how this testing goes!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!