larlee
Participant
Registered since

Dec 26, 2020

Unable to activate Home speaker 500

Hi,

I have 2 units of the Home Speaker 500. 1 of them is in the hall and 1 is placed in the bedroom. For a week, I am unable to use them. After following the steps to perform manual update, factory reset, reinstall the app on both Android and iPhone, it still shows activation error. I can bluetooth to it, I can play music from my PC Spotify to the Home Speaker 500 but it just doesn't work on the Bose Music app. This is very unstable for over 1 year, I have factory reset multiple times to get it working but this time, it just doesn't work anymore.

Please advise.

2 REPLIES 2
Keith_L
Community Manager

Re: Unable to activate Home speaker 500

Hi larlee,

Thanks for posting and joining us in the Community!

As you are unable to activate either of your speakers, it does sound like something on your network is stopping the activation from going through correctly. The first thing I would recommend doing to resolve this is a reboot of your router. To reboot your router, disconnect it from power for at least 30 seconds, then plug it back in and allow it to power on and reconnect. Once your router has turned back on and fully connected to your devices, try activating the speakers in the Bose Music app again.

If you are still unable to activate the speakers after rebooting the router, the next thing to do is take a look at your router settings and make sure they match our recommended router settings HERE so the router is optimized for the speakers. If you would like a hand with the router settings, then your internet service provider or router manufacturer will be able to help you with these changes!

Let me know how you get on!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
larlee
Participant
Registered since

Dec 26, 2020

Re: Unable to activate Home speaker 500

Thanks for sharing Keith.

You might want to look at your system hardware instead and tweak the settings instead of asking the end user to contact their ISP.

Many ISPs will not be able to help and will ask to contact the product manufacturer instead since you are able to surf the internet and connect to youtube, spotify etc.

Mesh Wireless setup are almost the de facto and will only use a single SSID instead of splitting it into 2.

While I see many other owners feedback similar issues, shouldn't Bose be looking at their software configuration instead?