Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Unable to set up Google Assistant on Home Speaker 300

I just factory reset my Bose Home Speaker 300. Speaker works fine with Bose Music app. However,  all I get is a useless error message “there may be a problem” (nothing else) when i try to set up Google Assistant.  To make matters more absurd, when I click the “get help” link, I get “sorry this page can’t be found...this page doesn’t exist in Google Assistant help...”

Can anyone here help me set up Google Assistant on my Bose Home Speaker since the methods specified in the instructions do not work?

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

Re: Unable to set up Google Assistant on Home Speaker 300

Hey JEH1954,

I'm sorry to hear you're encountering difficulty setting up Google Assistant on your Home Speaker 300. Is this the first time you're connecting this voice assistant, and whereabouts are you located?

At what stage do you see the problem show in setup, immediately when you press 'Open Google Assistant', or further down the line?

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

May 11, 2020

I am located in western Maryland.  I had just factory reset my speaker and was going through initial setup.  All was well up until the point where I was to choose my voice assistant (Alexa or Google Assistant). I selected Google Assistant.  I was then prompted to Open Google Assistant.  The very next thing was the error message I described.  Problem is NOT with the Google Assistant app itself, as I can open and operate it standalone. (I had already logged out, deleted, reinstalled then logged back in to the Google Assistant app just to be safe).  So, to sum up, the factory reset speaker works fine using the Bose app or Spotify Connect, as well as with AirPlay and Bluetooth.  Just not with Google Assistant.  Not interested in Alexa for this speaker since my other Bose Hone speaker uses Alexa.

Highlighted

Hi JEH1954, 

Can you please confirm if you're using an iOS or Android device with the Bose Music app? Have you tried using another app? 

As you factory reset the speaker, it may have residual data still appearing in the Google app. Have you tried removing the speaker from the Google app before trying to re-add it? 

Can you please provide us with screenshots of any error messages you receive? 

I'll look forward to your reply. 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Using iOS app.  All apps and software are fully up to date.  I have deleted and fully reset everything including the things you suggested. No screenshots but they don’t not say anything I didn’t already describe.  So I just basically gave up and switched to Alexa.  No problem (except for a problem relating to combining wake up alarms and music but that is a separate thread)

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Nov 3, 2020

I HAVE THE SAME ISSUE

This is a pain! I have the exact same issue with my new bose portable speaker. I google and google and can't find any answers, just others with the same problem.

Everything works except google assistant.