Participant
Registered since

Aug 20, 2018

Universal Remote Control Issues with TV Input menu

Bose product name

Universal  Remote Control. But also using Solo TV Sound System along with a Verizon Cable box and Samsung TV.

Country

United States

Firmware Version

It's a remote control

App Version

n/a

What devices were you using that were affected and what version are they on (e.g. Samsung Galaxy S9 on Android 11, iPhone X on iOS14, etc.)
n/a

Detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce

Cannot control the TV Input menu when both CBL and TV sources are selected.

I have programmed the new remote for my dad's Samsung tv and Verizon cable box. When we press TV Input button, the TV Input menu comes up. But then the menu does not respond to the arrow keys, Exit key, or anything else. If we press the TV source button, then the TV Input menu responds. This is inadequate. How do we fix?

What environment do you experience the issue in? (e.g. noisy office, quiet kitchen, etc.)

The living room

When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously?

The remote has never been able to control the TV Input menu when transmitting to both the the TV and CBL, even though the TV Input button brings up the TV Input menu. That is, when both TV and CBL sources are selected, the TV Input button opens the TV Input menu, but then nothing further can be done unless selecting source TV.

Any troubleshooting steps you took

Experimented with all kinds of things to figure out why the remote is inconsistently able to navigate the TV Input menu.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Universal Remote Control Issues with TV Input menu

Hey @jeffas, thanks for posting! 

I am sorry that you're having some difficulty with the controls of your dad's system. To confirm, are you using the Bose universal remote? 

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Participant
Registered since

Aug 20, 2018

Yes, it is the Bose Universal Remote Control. It looks like the one linked here: https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/speakers/speaker_accessories/bose-rc-pws-iii-universal-remote-co...

Thanks for letting us know that jeffas! As the remote is only controlling some functions of the TV, it is possible that it has not been programmed correctly to work with the model of TV that you have. When you were programming the remote, were you following these steps below?

1. In the remote control code booklet included with your system, find the code for the brand you want to control
  2. On your remote, press and hold the source button of the device you want to control (i.e. TV or CBL-SAT) until all six source buttons glow
  3. Release the button so only the button you held glows
  4. Enter the code for the device brand, then press the Vol + button. (Tip: If all six source buttons blink three times, an invalid code was entered)
  5. Check if the remote controls the device:
    • For TVs, try the Channel buttons, then press Menu and try browsing with the Arrow buttons
    • For cable/satellite boxes, press the GUIDE button and try browsing with the Arrow buttons
    • For DVD/Bu-ray playerspress the GUIDE button and try browsing with the Arrow buttons
    • For game systems, try browsing with the Arrow buttons
  6. If the code works, press EXIT to save your settings
  7. If the code does not work, press VOL + to select the next code for the brand, then repeat step 5

An important part of this process that people often miss is the last step "If the code does not work, press VOL + to select the next code for the brand, then repeat step 5". As each code you input into the remote has a number of sub-codes that are cycled to by pressing the VOL + button on the remote. So for example typing in code 0060, by pressing VOL + you move to 0060a, then 0060b, and so on. It can take a few attempts to find the correct sub-code for your TV, so keep testing, then pressing VOL + till you find the correct one.

I hope this helps, let me know!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Collaborator
Registered since

Feb 10, 2019

If we press the TV source button, then the TV Input menu responds. This is inadequate. How do we fix?

I think this is how it works. It's the same for my Philips TV. You must select TV source to use the arrows.

/Göran