Participant
Registered since

Jan 6, 2020

Using Alexa to create a speaker group

How can I use Alexa to create a speaker group with other speakers?  I would like to use a voice command instead of needing to always using the app.  I have a Bose 700, 3 portable home speakers, and two Bose 500s. I would like to be able to add speakers individually to a group.  

1 REPLY 1

Re: Using Alexa to create a speaker group

Hello Ron, 

Thanks for reaching out, i'll happily assist you with this. 

You can create a group of Bose Music smart speakers in the Alexa app. This lets you play from the group with a voice request to Alexa. Just ask Alexa to play on the name you gave the group in the Alexa app. (Please note: only Bose Music speakers can be grouped this way; adding other speakers to the Alexa group will not work.)

• Open the Amazon Alexa app
  • Go to the Devices section and select Add a Device
  • Follow the app instructions to add your Bose smart speaker to your Amazon account and a group.
    Tip: When prompted to select the brand of your speaker, choose Other
  • Repeat the steps above with each speaker you want to add to a group.

If you have multiple speakers in your group, you can choose which one responds to your voice requests by making it your Preferred Speaker. By default, Alexa makes the first speaker you add to a group the Preferred speaker. You can change the Preferred Speaker at any time in the Alexa app by going to Devices > [select the group] > Preferred Speaker. Next to Setup, tap + and select a speaker.

Please let us know if you have any further questions. 

Kind regards,

Tegan M - Community Support 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!