Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 5, 2019

Using HDMI and optical

Hi,

I connected my tv to the bose 7000 soundbar with bassmodue and rear speakers. But now I want to connect my pc also to the bose 700 via the optical input. Will this work, so when my pc is running and my tv is off, the bose soundbar 700  will give me the output from my pc? Or can I only connect 1 cable at the time (hdmi or optical)?

Thanks in advanced,

Smika

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

Re: Using HDMI and optical

While there are two inputs, it is still only one source.  It is designed so that newer TVs connect by the HDMi, and the older TVs connect by the optical, but everything else goes through the TV.

So the optical will override the sound from the HDMI and you would have to plug it in everytime you wanted to use the PC as a source.

Can you connect the PC to the TV and pass the sound through to the bar that way?

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 5, 2019

Thanks for you reply.

Yes it is possible to onnect my computer to my TV, but why turn on my tv when I am behind my computer only for sound?

Would it be possible to connect a HDMI spitter behind the bose bar and then 1 HDMI to the TV and another one to the PC?

Highlighted
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

You would be using a switch rather than a splitter, and you would likely still need to press a button/flick a switch to switch between the two.

The other trouble you may have is that using a switch may interfere with the HDMI CEC, meaning the universal remote may no longer control the TV and other connected devices.

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 5, 2019

I tried to connect the bose 700 soundbar with my computer with HDMI (without a splitter or switch), but my computer doesn't recognize the soundbar, so I can't play music to it. Is it possible to use this soundbar over HDMI to a  computer? If no, would it be possible to the optical cable?

Smika