Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Sep 16, 2020

Using HDMI as Input for Smart Speakers

I'm just about to pull the trigger on a Smart Home setup including the Soundbar 500 or 700 with bass module (living room), a Portable Smart Speaker (kitchen / terrace) and maybe a Home Speaker 300 (bedroom). 

I am wondering if I can use the TV's HDMI link to the Soundbar as a sound source for all speakers. For example, I would play a live concert on the TV in the living room, with sound coming out of the soundbar - can I play the concert audio on the Portable Smart Speaker on the terrace outside the living room and have both speakers in sync? 

I am also wondering about the differences between the Home Speaker series vs the Smart Touch speaker series, as they are similarly priced and sized - is the Home Speaker series newer? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Using HDMI as Input for Smart Speakers

Author Accepted Answer selected by gdi2k

Hi gdi2k,

Welcome to the community, thanks for reaching out. 

Yes this will be possible with the set up which you are referencing. Your Smart Home products, during the set up process will be connected via your WiFi network and use the Bose Music app on your smartphone device. With the use of the Bose Music app, you have the availability to group all your Smart Home products to play in unison around your home. 

With you stating Smart Touch, I presume you are referencing our SoundTouch line of products, you can do the above with these speakers also, however the Smart Home Speaker series is our most current range and we no longer sell the SoundTouch line. If you do purchase any SoundTouch products from third party outlets, do note that the SoundTouch and Smart Home products utilise different smartphone apps and cannot group the two different product lines. I'd personally recommend going straight in with the original set up you have referenced: "Soundbar 500 or 700 with bass module (living room), a Portable Smart Speaker (kitchen / terrace) and maybe a Home Speaker 300 (bedroom)."

If you have any further questions, do let us know! I'd like to do what I can to help.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Author Accepted Answer selected by gdi2k

Hi gdi2k,

Welcome to the community, thanks for reaching out. 

Yes this will be possible with the set up which you are referencing. Your Smart Home products, during the set up process will be connected via your WiFi network and use the Bose Music app on your smartphone device. With the use of the Bose Music app, you have the availability to group all your Smart Home products to play in unison around your home. 

With you stating Smart Touch, I presume you are referencing our SoundTouch line of products, you can do the above with these speakers also, however the Smart Home Speaker series is our most current range and we no longer sell the SoundTouch line. If you do purchase any SoundTouch products from third party outlets, do note that the SoundTouch and Smart Home products utilise different smartphone apps and cannot group the two different product lines. I'd personally recommend going straight in with the original set up you have referenced: "Soundbar 500 or 700 with bass module (living room), a Portable Smart Speaker (kitchen / terrace) and maybe a Home Speaker 300 (bedroom)."

If you have any further questions, do let us know! I'd like to do what I can to help.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@gdi2k wrote:

I'm just about to pull the trigger on a Smart Home setup including the Soundbar 500 or 700 with bass module (living room), a Portable Smart Speaker (kitchen / terrace) and maybe a Home Speaker 300 (bedroom). 

I am wondering if I can use the TV's HDMI link to the Soundbar as a sound source for all speakers. For example, I would play a live concert on the TV in the living room, with sound coming out of the soundbar - can I play the concert audio on the Portable Smart Speaker on the terrace outside the living room and have both speakers in sync? 

I am also wondering about the differences between the Home Speaker series vs the Smart Touch speaker series, as they are similarly priced and sized - is the Home Speaker series newer? 

The setup you are proposing is often referred to as multiroom. At this point you are best to build on the Home Speaker line because SoundTouch is discontinued and not being sold by Bose anymore. As well the Smart Home series gives you access to Alexa and Google voice assistants and Apple Airplay, another flavour of multiroom. 

Both Bose Music App and Airplay provide in sync multiroom functionality with good results.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Sep 16, 2020

Thank you both. I went ahead with the Smart Home series and although I've only gotten the Home Speaker (went for the 500 in the end) and the Smart Speaker set up so far, I'm very impressed with both. 

I did have an issue playing Spotify and Amazon Music on the Smart Speaker earlier (while TuneIn worked fine), but a reset (hold play/pause for 10 secs) solved that. 

So far so good. Looking forward to getting the Soundbar + sub set up next week when I move into a new place. 

Cheers

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@gdi2k wrote:

Thank you both. I went ahead with the Smart Home series and although I've only gotten the Home Speaker (went for the 500 in the end) and the Smart Speaker set up so far, I'm very impressed with both. 

I did have an issue playing Spotify and Amazon Music on the Smart Speaker earlier (while TuneIn worked fine), but a reset (hold play/pause for 10 secs) solved that. 

So far so good. Looking forward to getting the Soundbar + sub set up next week when I move into a new place. 

Cheers

@gdi2k sounds like you are building a nice set up. I have a mix of SoundTouch and Smart Home speakers. I just ordered a Bose Portable speaker relegating my older Soundlink Colour BlueTooth speaker to the summer place. I haven’t found a need to have all the speakers playing music in sync around the house but having Apple Music and Bose Music app for the patio looks inviting.