Highlighted
earm57
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 10, 2019

Voice Commands Doesn't Start Spotify Music Playback Bose 500 HS

Hi,

A few days ago the google assistant was working normally, but today does not start playing spotify music with voice commands. It says "I can't do it here, but you can ask me to play it on another one of your devices". This is the only function it doesn't perform, because up and down volume, weather information, random questions if it works.
Now to start playing music I must always do it from the Bose Music app because the google assistant can't do it...

PD. I can use the speaker to play music on my chromecast, but not on the speaker.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

10 REPLIES 10
Parimal
Silent Starter
Registered since

Aug 20, 2019

Google assistant - Home Speaker 500 asking spotify to play music error "I can't do that here"

Hey!

Problem 1) I have the Home Speaker 500 in US. I got the firmware update and have google assistant installed. Spotify seemed to work okay initially, however asking GA to play anything on Spotify I am getting error "I can't do that here, but you can ask me to play on one of your other devices"

Problem 2) I have tried resetting GA music preferred app to Spotify. But I am unable to select Spotify or Pandora or Sirius XM in the Bose Music app. Tapping on any of the 3 does nothing!

Problem 3) If I am travelling can I carry the home speaker 500 to Asia (China, India) and expect google assistant to work?

Thanks.

Re: Voice Commands Doesn't Start Spotify Music Playback Bose 500 HS

Hi Earm57 and Parimal

Thanks for posting and reaching out to us today. I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue! 

This is an issue that we are aware of and is something that has been escalated to Google and is under investigation.

We are working to resolve this and will update the community as soon as we know more regarding this! I can only apologize for the inconvenience at this moment in time. 

Kind Regards, 

Hector B - Community Support 

CALIOW
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Dec 27, 2019

We have the exact same issue, working fine until today. Have you got it sorted?

DEANR
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 12, 2020

Has this issue been resolved yet.

CALIOW
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Dec 27, 2019

Yes, thank you once again 🙂

Albert Toh
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 17, 2017

There seems to be a conflict between the Bose Music app and Google Assistant. When I use The Bose Music app to search and play on Spotify, Google seems not to be able to play again the next time.

Hello Albert Toh, 

Thanks for posting in the forums. 

Let's see what we can do to help here. I would like to start by confirming that you are running the latest firmware version as we pushed a fix for this issue last year. 

To manually initiate a software update, on the top of your product, simultaneously press and hold the Bluetooth and volume - buttons for 10 seconds:

• If an update is available, a white light scrolls across the light bar on the front of your product while it is updating. Once complete, your product reboots.
  • If no update is available, your product reboots.

Once the system is up to date, we can try removing the Google Assistant and factory resetting the speaker. After this, we can look at setting the speaker up again. This will refresh everything and hopefully resolve any issues. 

I look forward to hearing how you get on. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W 

Albert Toh
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 17, 2017

Hi Vicky,

Thank you for your email of 20 Jan.

Yes, I am running the latest firmware for the Bose 500 Home Speaker
(two of them), and the Bose Soundbar 500.

I don't think removing the Google Assistant and performing a factory
reset will help in this case, as Google Assistant won't play anything
on Spotify using my voice once the Bose Music app is used to play
music from Spotify. The only way to get the Google Assistant to play
music on Spotify with my voice once again is to power down the Home
Speaker/Soundbar, wait a minute or so, then power up the units again.
As long as I don't use the Bose Music app, Google Assistant will play
nicely.

At least this is what I have observed, but perhaps others may have a
different experience. Please get your app developer to investigate
this observation and see if further tweaks need to be made so that the
Bose Music app and Google Assistant can mutually co-exist with each
other.

Regards,

Albert

Albert Toh
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 17, 2017

Hi Vicky,

My apologies for the erroneous information I gave yesterday in my previous post.

Somehow, Google Assistant won't play anything from Spotify after some time - don't know why this is so. I did not use the Bose Music app to search or play from Spotify, but the Google Assistant. It just refuses to work with voice commands after awhile. Have to reset the soundbar/home speaker for Google Assistant to work again. Nothing to do with the Bose Music app.

My apologies once again.

Albert

x