Raghuttam
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 26, 2019

WIll my Bose Soundbar 500 play Apple lossless (ALAC) or Hi-Res Lossless via AirPLay?

Will Bose soundbars support Apple lossless formats as Apple is releasing High-res audio starting June 7th on Apple music.

I understand it wont work via bluetooth, but would it work through AirPlay?

Bose product name - soundbar500

Country - India

6 REPLIES 6
Hector_B

Re: WIll my Bose Soundbar 500 play Apple lossless (ALAC) or Hi-Res Lossless via AirPLay?

Hey Raghuttam, 

Thank you for posting and welcome to the Community! This isn't something that we currently have any information on.

I'll be sure to raise this request with our development team as something users would like to see added. 

Have a great weekend. 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Raghuttam
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 26, 2019

Re: WIll my Bose Soundbar 500 play Apple lossless (ALAC) or Hi-Res Lossless via AirPLay?

It would surely make sense , as I see that older soundtouch models did support ALAC...

airplay is supported very well, Bose should let music loves beam high-res audio through all their soundbars..

rickatk
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Raghuttam have you tried a lossless music file over Airplay? No reason it shouldn’t work.

Other than the source info I am not too sure how you will confirm on the speaker end it is receiving lossless. That is one nice feature of the console models. You get confirmation of the file codecs.

Xyz987
Expert
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

NeonsNight
Expert
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

@Raghuttam wrote:

Will Bose soundbars support Apple lossless formats as Apple is releasing High-res audio starting June 7th on Apple music.

I understand it wont work via bluetooth, but would it work through AirPlay?

Bose product name - soundbar500

Country - India

It might, it might not. Nobody is sure if Apple will add "Apple lossless" support to the Airplay 2 protocol at the moment.

• It might be something all Airplay 2 systems currently support.
  • it might require a firmware upgrade.
  • It might only work with new Airplay 2 systems that support new minimum hardware requirements to enable this feature. 
  • Apple might have to make a new "Airplay 3" protocol to support this.

So I doubt that Bose will know until Apple tells people it can or can't. 

rickatk
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015