Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Nov 5, 2019

Why doesn't the Soundbar 700 support Dolby Digital plus, the default codec on Netflix/Disney/Amazon

It is simply unacceptable, and shows serious problems in Bose's priorities, and a lack of understanding their target market.

So let me get this straight, you dump your old devices (SoundTouch aren't supported in the new Bose Music app). Everyone is mad. You would be forgiven if the new device was superior hardware. Nope. The Soundbar 700 is basically the same hardware as the SoundTouch 300.

Ok, fine, you screwed that up too, and dumped your loyal customers just to start fresh. But let's give you the benefit of the doubt. You did it so that you could support new software features and codecs..... right?

I mean, it would be really stupid to sell a piece of hardware in 2020 that's primary purpose is for watching movies/TV, that cannot support the number one audio codec in the world for streaming services: Dolby Digital Plus (aka E-AC3 aka DD+). Seriously, it's the default on Netflix, Disney+, Prime Video... Not supporting it would be absurd. Not supporting it would mean your customers have to use their $800 device to listen using the inferior, lower bit-rate codec (regular Dolby Digital) from the 1990s. Oh wait....

I've heard some posts on here lamenting the lack of DD+, and I've seen the response that "Oh, it doesn't matter, it just means you only get 5.1 instead of 7.1. Not an issue for a soundbar."

False. Let's quote the E-AC3 wikipedia page:

"It is a successor to Dolby Digital (AC-3), also developed by Dolby, and has a number of improvements including support for a wider range of data rates (32 kbit/s to 6144 kbit/s), increased channel count and multi-program support (via substreams), and additional tools (algorithms) for representing compressed data and counteracting artifacts. While Dolby Digital (AC-3) supports up to five full-bandwidth audio channels at a maximum bitrate of 640 kbit/s, E-AC-3 supports up to 15 full-bandwidth audio channels at a maximum bitrate of 6.144 Mbits.

Seriously Bose. Dolby Digital Plus isn't optional in 2020. You need to support it asap with no excuses.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Registered since

Nov 30, 2015

Re: Why doesn't the Soundbar 700 support Dolby Digital plus, the default codec on Netflix/Disney/Ama

I thoroughly agree with this post. 

I would guess that the hardware can support Dolby Digital Plus, but Bose probably don’t want to pay the licenses for being able to use it.