Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Will Disabling Voice Assistance and turning off mic increase Portable Home Speaker battery playback

I have Three Home Speakers:  Home 500 w/Alexa, Home 300 w/Google and Portable Home w/voice assistant inactive. Reason is I don’t want or need two of my three speakers sharing a voice assistant in my small two bedroom apartment.  Plus the portable is often on the move where there is no WiFi anyway.

My question is: does turning off voice assistant and the microphone significantly improve battery playback time on the Portable Home Speaker?

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Re: Will Disabling Voice Assistance and turning off mic increase Portable Home Speaker battery pl...

Hey @JEH1954,

That sounds like quite the setup! I hope you've enjoyed your Smart Home system so far.

In regard to your query, it's unlikely that disabling the voice assistant or muting the microphone will contribute to significant improvement in battery life. However, it certainly will factor into the battery life if the speaker is not carrying out extra commands. The less you're using the speaker you will likely notice a small improvement to battery life. Have you had the chance to test this out yet to check for any difference?

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: Will Disabling Voice Assistance and turning off mic increase Portable Home Speaker battery pl...

Thanks Sam_F.  I haven’t really had time to do any comparative testing. All I can really say about portable speaker use is that when I am home i am using Bose Music app, Spotify Connect or Airplay 2.  But because I am home I typically use the home 500 or 300 (sometimes both when using Apple Music or one of my Audio Addict apps on Airplay 2).  But if out somewhere with the portable speaker and no WiFi, i am using Bluetooth.

yes it is a great setup.  Thanks