Raiden
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jul 25, 2019

Wireless 5 GHz Bose 700 Soundbar

@bose 

Is there going to be a an issue if I set up my Samsung TV using 2.4ghz band and the bar with 5ghz band? The TV lacks 5ghz band... 

Secondly, I have a dual band mesh wifi which uses same SSID for both 2.4 and 5ghz band...how do I force Bose 700 to use 5 GHZ band?

13 REPLIES 13
Hector_B

Re: Wireless 5 GHz Bose 700 Soundbar

Hey Raiden, 

Thanks for posting and reaching out to the Community today with your question! 

If you are attempting to stream audio via the TV to the Soundbar you may experience some connection issues due to them not being on the same band of the network. 

In regards to forcing the Bose to use the band, this isn't something that would be possible on the Soundbar, it would need to be something that you adjust with the SSID so the Soundbar can differentiate the networks. 

Please do let us know if you have any further questions. 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Raiden
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jul 25, 2019

Hi @Hector_B , 

Currently, the soundbar is not even set up after change of SSID. But the TV (set up and using 2.4ghz) is now playing through the soundbar. Only problem is I can not connect to the bar using Bose Music app.

I wanted to use 5hz band as it gives you higher bandwidth and unfortunately my TV does not support 5ghz. I wanted to use 5ghz for the soundbar to ensure trouble free connection.

I don't mind 2.4ghz for the soundbar (the mesh does not allow separate SSID's for two bands) if it plays smoothly. From my experience that's possibly the last thing I can try to support trouble free connection.  

Sam_F

Hi Raiden,

How do you have your soundbar connected to your TV - is it not wired directly using the provided HDMI or optical cable? You shouldn't need to have your TV and soundbar operating on the same WiFi network for audio to be played.

Also, when trying to use the Bose Music app to stream on your soundbar, be sure to check the device being used is operating on the same network (2.4 or 5GHz respectively) so the system can be found.

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
Raiden
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jul 25, 2019

@Sam_F , 

- Samsung TV is connected to the soundbar via HDMI (the TV is playing through the bar) and using 2.4ghz band as it is single band only; 

-Currently, the soundbar 700 is not connected to internet at all and now the music app does not find the soundbar (yet there is no white flashing light on the soundbar looking for internet) ;

- My iphone is connected wirelessly to the dual band mesh wifi and it automatically alters between the  bands (2.4ghz/5ghz)  depending on the best signal. Please note that there is only 1 SSID for both bands and I cannot create a separate SSID for each band or control which band the phone connects to. However, at the time off setting up any new device from the router app, I can toggle off either 2.4ghz and 5ghz forcing devices to use only preferred band. The internet service is across the all the devices being used is very seamless. 

-It was the Bose soundbar for which I moved from a single band router to dual band mesh wifi to ensure that 2.4ghz band remains traffic free if the soundbar chooses to connect to 2.4ghz. I plan to factory reset the soundbar 700 from scratch this week after horrible experiences with it following the firmware upgrade and I plan to connect the soundbar to internet this week. 

Questions:

1. When connecting the soundbar to internet wirelessly should I force the bar to use 5ghz band by toggling off 2.4ghz or let the bar decide on the band?

2. How does the bar connect to the bass module and surround speakers - 5ghz? 

3. Will the Bose music app on the phone find the bar if these are on different bands but using same SSID?

Jeff_G

Hi Raiden, 

You can find our recommendations for router settings when using our products here.

It does not matter what network band the TV is set to as the TV will never have any communication with the soundbar/app via the internet, it will only communicate via HDMI ARC as per your connection method. 

In response to your questions:

1. If your TV only has a 2.4ghz antenna, I would not recommend disabling the 2.4Ghz band, you can just split the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands in your router settings (search the web for your router model name to find out how.) 

2. The bass module and surround speakers utilize 5Ghz antenna bands to communicate with the soundbar. The channel used, however, will be different than the one being used to connect to the home Wi-Fi network.

3. The Bose Music app will only find the soundbar if it is on the same network. If you split the bands, there will be a variation in the SSID name. Even if slightly. For example: "Raiden's network" and "Raden's network-5G".

Thanks.

Raiden
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jul 25, 2019

@Jeff_G  thanks for your response. As mentioned, TP Link Deco M4R (mesh) does not allow separate names for each network (2.4/5Ghz)..there is only 1 SSID for both networks.... and devices using the network seamlessly roam between the bands depending the strength of each.... so this is beyond my control....question was how to ensure more seamless connection between the soundbar and the mobile phone under this situation.....

Vicky_W

After reviewing the owner's manual for your router/network, we can see that the settings accessible from Deco to change are limited, in line with our recommended settings as noted above by Jeff. Using mesh networks may introduce additional unique problems, as the Bose Music app is fundamentally sending a request to the router to locate the associated speaker. If the router is unable to precisely locate and relay that information back to the app, the speaker will show as unavailable.

Having reviewed your user manual the main settings that I see that would impact your experience are avoiding using the "Address Reservation" setting and disabling/enabling the "Fast Roaming" feature. This feature change may be counterproductive to you as it's a mesh network, but I'm unable to find specific details on how it works for your particular router - this article on the Community discusses it, but I'm unsure if it's still updated and relevant to your particular model.

Let me know your thoughts.

Raiden
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jul 25, 2019

@Vicky_W @Jeff_G @Hector_B all thanks a lot for your responses. To summarize, 

- Currently fast roaming is switched off for the entire network. 

-Mesh technology can be switched off for each devices connected to the network. Accordingly, for all stationary items (e.g., Samsung TV, Desktop PC etc.) mesh has been switched off. Mesh is switched on for mobile devices (e.g., iphone, ipad laptop etc.). 

- I have reserved addresses for Samsung TV and desktop PC (stationary items that do not roam room to room. 

-Result: The internet is now absolutely flawless. 

-I am expecting that when I set up Bose soundbar 700, sub and surrounds again in the next week it would connect to the router using 5ghz (previously I had only a single band router and used to cause a lot of problems)

Question 1: Do you suggest I force the soundbar to connect using 5 ghz (while switching off 2.4ghz during set up), switch off mesh technology for the soundbar 700 (once set up) and reserve address for it (that's my plan too) ? 

Question  2: When you say impact my experience do you refer to my phone (which is on mesh and constantly switches between networks as go from room to room) or you refer to Bose soundbar which is likely to be connected to the same network (as mesh will be switched off for Bose)?

Question 3: Mesh is fast becoming a go to solution for many households these days and TP Link is a popular brand here.  Do you want to speak to your developer team to see what they thing we should do in this situation?

Jeff_G

Thanks for getting back in touch, Raiden. 

In response to your questions, 

Question 1: Do you suggest I force the soundbar to connect using 5 ghz (while switching off 2.4ghz during set up), switch off mesh technology for the soundbar 700 (once set up) and reserve address for it (that's my plan too) ?

If the bands cannot be split, it doesn't look like it would be possible to force your soundbar to connect to 5ghz solely. As things stand, our products are not guaranteed to work with mesh technology. 

Question  2: When you say impact my experience do you refer to my phone (which is on mesh and constantly switches between networks as go from room to room) or you refer to Bose soundbar which is likely to be connected to the same network (as mesh will be switched off for Bose)?

This will impact your experience in general i.e the overall ability to access the soundbar via the Bose Music app using your current router. 

Question 3: Mesh is fast becoming a go to solution for many households these days and TP Link is a popular brand here.  Do you want to speak to your developer team to see what they thing we should do in this situation?

It depends on how your personal router handles connections between devices. As discussed, there's a number of bespoke features implemented by your specific router - "Fast roaming" for example. Mesh networks can perform unpredictably with smart speakers due to the manner in which they "jump." For the best performance with our products, please follow the details set out in our recommended router settings page mentioned earlier. 

Thanks.