Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 22, 2020

Wireless link for vinyl

i have a vinyl player with preamp and would like to connect it to my SA5 wirelessly due to constraints of getting the turntable close enough to the amplifier. I was thinking of using a SoundTouch wireless link adaptor with the vinyl player plugged in, but no speakers attached to it, to then Aux rebroadcast to the SA5. 

is there any reason this wouldn’t work?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 3, 2020

Re: Wireless link for vinyl

Author Accepted Answer selected by JayC90

Hi @JayC90 I have a similar setup and I can assure you it works very well. Just connect the analog output of your phono preamp or integrated turntable equalizer (it must be a line level signal) to the analog input of the Soundtouch Wireless Link with a 3.5mm stereo to rca cable. You do not need to have a speaker connected to the Soundtouch Wireless Link, and even if you did, you can set the volume to zero and it will still play normally on the speakers you are rebroadcasting to. I even rebroadcast to another Soundtouch wireless link and into a Fluance soundbase with excellent results. The sound quality is remarkably good on my Soundtouch Soundbar 300, it has depth, dynamics, excellent vocal tonality, sounds fantastic, way better than CDs or streaming. Don't know how Bose can get such good performance from that tiny box, I cannot perceive any loss or compression. Go for it, you are not going to regret it.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hey @JayC90,

Welcome to the forums. Great question - happy to help where we can. 

This sounds like it should work. There's an older discussion HERE with a similar use-case scenario. Aux rebroadcasting to other SoundTouch systems is, however, now fully functional, as suggested by the age of the thread!

Many comments that I see in threads of conversations related to vinyl players are related to the turntable outputting low audio volumes. As you have a preamp, you shouldn't experience this issue.

If you do decide to make the purchase, let us know how it goes! If the purchase is made from Bose directly, you'll also be covered by our trial period, meaning you can return the product if you're within the return period.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 3, 2020

Author Accepted Answer selected by JayC90

Hi @JayC90 I have a similar setup and I can assure you it works very well. Just connect the analog output of your phono preamp or integrated turntable equalizer (it must be a line level signal) to the analog input of the Soundtouch Wireless Link with a 3.5mm stereo to rca cable. You do not need to have a speaker connected to the Soundtouch Wireless Link, and even if you did, you can set the volume to zero and it will still play normally on the speakers you are rebroadcasting to. I even rebroadcast to another Soundtouch wireless link and into a Fluance soundbase with excellent results. The sound quality is remarkably good on my Soundtouch Soundbar 300, it has depth, dynamics, excellent vocal tonality, sounds fantastic, way better than CDs or streaming. Don't know how Bose can get such good performance from that tiny box, I cannot perceive any loss or compression. Go for it, you are not going to regret it.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 22, 2020

Thanks for your response, and I agree with everything you said after purchasing the sound link. Works perfectly rebroadcasting and as you say, the sound quality is excellent. 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 3, 2020

The only issue that I've found so far is that if your turntable is rather too close to your favorite listening spot, and while playing records at lower volumes, you may hear the sound of the needle raking through grooves and find it out of 'sync' with the actual music coming out of the loudspeakers. It could be very distracting at times, especially when there is a lot of high-frequency information like horns and trumpets. I believe this delay is the effect of data buffering done by the Wireless Link itself, a necessary evil of sorts. Depending on the type of stylus it may get better or worse. I switched from an elliptical to a 'line contact' stylus, Audio Technica in both cases, and it got way better. YMMV of course.