Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
qmaur
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 2, 2019

autogain on bose 700 soundbar

Trying again, since my last post went unanswered after 2 weeks. I have purchased a Bose 700 Soundbar + Bose 300 Acoustimass module. With music it sounds great, as it does on "most" TV/movie contents. Why "most" ? Because on all quiet passages in movies and TV series a strange phenomenon is taking place: the background noise is greatly enhanced to the point that it makes all the speakers and the sub producing some kind of hissing white noise. As soon as one of the character start speaking, the system seems to correct itself, only to go back to the previous, unnatural sound as soon as character finished speaking.

I've been able to observe this on both Dolby contents and Stereo contents - with the latter seemingly more affected. Some examples are "Better Call Saul" and "Handmaid's Tales" - but any dialogue-heavy contents will feature the same issue, regardless of how the soundbar is connected to the TV/bluray player.

Needless to say, this is extremely annoying - especially given I'm in a situation where I cannot return the soundbar (having purchased it at a normal brick and mortar shop). The issue affects the sound quality so deeply that, when it occurs, my TV speakers are far, far better sounding than the soundbar. I'd say, without exaggerating (sadly) that in such circumstances, even my mobile phone sounds better than the Bose 700.

This problem is not new - it has been reported before for the Soundtouch 300 [1] - just read this excerpt which basically describes what I'm hearing:

"The auto gain on background noise I noticed before adding the surrounds however and it is particularly bad. My other half was watching 50 shades of grey on Netflix the other day, a particularly bad film but also one with a lot of dialogue, and whenever there was a pause between the characters speaking there was a really loud background hiss which made it sound awful. Granted, this is a lot to do with the shoddy production of that film and it having a particularly bad soundtrack but the Bose just amplified it meaning it actually sounded better on my normal TV speakers."

Is somebody from Bose going to comment on this particular issue?

[1] - https://community.bose.com/t5/SoundTouch-Archive/Distortion-and-auto-gain-on-Soundbar-300/td-p/3463

14 REPLIES 14
Tegan_M

Re: autogain on bose 700 soundbar

Hello qmaur,

Than you for messaging the community, I am very sorry that you are experiencing this audio issue with your Soundbar 700 setup.

I would recommend in taking a look into rerunning the ADAPTiQ feature of your products. If you are unsure on how to perform this feature, instruction can be found here.  This feature allows the audio of your product to be the best suited to your living space, you can also adjust these within the Bose Music App. 

Please let us know if this provides any improvement.

Tegan M - Community Support

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
qmaur
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 2, 2019

Thanks for the quick reply. I have already re-ran Adaptiq calibration several times, as well as tinkered with different placements of both the soundbar and the bass module.

One recent discovery I made, is that the 'effect' I describe (which, as I said, is a lot more prominent with Stereo sources), is greatly reduced by turning down the PCM volume in my Sony TV menu - and then upping the soundbar volume. But an older Samsung soundbar I have is perfectly fine without this PCM volume tweaking, which seems to suggest that maybe there's something wrong in how the soundbar is upscaling stereo content?

Zoe_C
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Mar 26, 2019

Hello qmaur,

Thanks for getting back in touch, that is interesting that you have done AdaptIQ that you are still experiencing issues with sound quality specifically with dialogue. I would suggest looking at what the current settings for Dialogue Mode are in the Bose Music app and then if you let me know we can go from there?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kindest regards,

Zoe C

qmaur
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 2, 2019

Hi,
Dialogue Mode is switched off. If I turn it on I can hear a difference (e.g. bass response is lowered and mids and highs more pronounced, which make the issue even worse).

Zoe_C
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Mar 26, 2019

Hello qmaur,

Thanks for getting back to me. I would suggest factory resetting the Soundbar, please follow the steps below that are relevant to your system. Note: A factory reset clears all source, volume and network settings from the system returning it to its original factory settings.

To restore factory defaults with Alexa enabled:

1. Open the Amazon Alexa app and view the smart devices associated with your Amazon account.
  2. Remove any instances of the Bose product you want to reset from the smart devices listed in the Alexa app.
  3. If you do not plan to use other Bose speakers with your Amazon account, view the installed Skills in the Alexa app and remove the Bose skill.
  4. Open the Bose Music app and remove Alexa from your Bose account. 
  5. Remove the product from your Bose account.
  6. On the remote, press and hold the Power and Skip forward buttons simultaneously for 5 seconds. The soundbar reboots and, when complete, the light bar glows solid amber.

To restore factory defaults with Google Assistant enabled:

1. Open the Bose Music app and remove Google Assistant from your Bose account.
  2. Remove the product from your Bose account.
  3. On the remote, press and hold the Power and Skip forward buttons simultaneously for 5 seconds. The soundbar reboots and, when complete, the light bar glows solid amber.

I hope this helps, if you are still having issues after the factory reset then I would recommend calling the customer care team as they will be able to assist you further as a repair may be required. 

Should you need anything else please get in touch.

Kindest regards,

Zoe C 

qmaur
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 2, 2019

Hi Zoe,
Before I embark on a full factory reset, let me point out a few things:

1) This issue is not new - it has been documented in several other posts:

https://community.bose.com/t5/SoundTouch-Archive/SoundTouch-300-odd-sound-from-foot-steps/td-p/32195

https://community.bose.com/t5/SoundTouch-Archive/Distortion-and-auto-gain-on-Soundbar-300/td-p/3463

(these posts are for soundtouch 300, but I'm told that hardware-wise there's no much difference between the two soundbars)

2) If you look at these posts - people tried factory resets, and even replaced/repaired their soundbars - to no avail. The new soundbars had exactly the same kind of distortion applied - which was more prominent on stereo sources, and totally absent when listening to music (this has all the signs of some 'intelligent' dialogue booster, which is active even when 'dialogue mode' is off, and whose behavior is probably made worse by upmixing 2.0 PCM contents into 5.1 - upmixing which, again, cannot be disabled in any way, unlike e.g. what you can do in much much cheaper soundbars)

3) The issue described in my post, as well as in the above forum was apparently fixed for ST300 in firmware v15, but came back:

"The issue was fixed in V15 for me and came back in V16 as well. Is there a way to move back to the previous firmware?"

(from https://community.bose.com/t5/SoundTouch-Archive/SoundTouch-300-odd-sound-from-foot-steps/td-p/32195...)

So I think that, from a software perspective, there's a very high chance that the firmware for the soundbar 700 has "inherited" the very same issue.

4) As reported by me (see above post), the issue can be mitigated by lowering the PCM output volume on either the TV or the cable box and then turning up the volume on the soundbar - which, again, points at an issue with the soundbar over-amplifying certain types of sounds (which is, again, exactly the same issue reported in the above links).

I think there's enough evidence here that this problem is not new - or that I'm not the only one noticing it (thought I might accept that sound is a subjectve issue, and not all ears will hear the problem in the same way/be annoyed at it as I am). Which is why I think general suggestions such as re-running Adaptiq, or resetting the soundbar are very unlikely to help in this specific case (and I've tried all the possible settings/tweaks already).

I've already contacted customer service 2 weeks ago and they have been unable to help, saying that they never heard of this issue before, which is clearly not the case looking at the above links. I'm (understandably, I think) very frustrated: given the track record in this support forum, I'm kind of skeptical that this issue will be taken seriously and addressed in an upcoming firmware release (after all, this issue has been around for at least 2 years, looking at the date of some of the messages in the ST300 forums). Needless to say, when I paid top money for this system I never imagined I would have had to cope with such sound quality-related issues. What are my options at this point? 

Nionios
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 16, 2019

Hello.i would like to say that i have the exact same problem with a soundtouch 300.i recently opened up a topic “background sounds too high” or something like that i think but they told me to enable dialogue mode which makes things even worse.did you find any solution to this matter?

Nionios
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 16, 2019

can someone from bose support please answer to this topic?i have a soundtouch 300 with the exact same problem.i have already sent it to service and they told me that it has no problem.so it must be software related.i have paid a lot of money for the full system and the tv speakers sound way better.please forward this to the support if they can resolve this with a firmware update.

Ante
Participant
Registered since

Dec 29, 2019

Purchased three weeks ago Bose Soundbar 700 and sound base 500. I have exactly the same problem as described above, extremely sad that there is no solution to this today. If no answer is posted by Bose, I will return my system. After that, I will not be gracious in forums handling this kind of products, including price comparison sites.

Please Bose, take your responsibility and come up with a solution, soon! Bose has been (for me) number one in speakers for a long time, but my latest buy might change that, unfortunately.

I have done several factory resets without any change whatsoever.