zalahditto
Participant
Registered since

Mar 3, 2020

difference between optical and ARC connection ?

Hello there

is there difference between optical and ARC connection when connecting the soundbar to the TV ?? i mean difference with the quality of the sound ??

am using bose soundbar 500

regards

6 REPLIES 6
Toons114
Advocate
Registered since

May 25, 2019

Re: difference between optical and ARC connection ?

ARChas some trouble on 500 and 700 I invite you to read the forum.

For the quality of sound the major point will be on the audio format on the TV.

My advice will be to go to your TV conf sound and to force the Dolby Digital Format (not staying in auto), this is the way to get the best usage of the sound bar 

zalahditto
Participant
Registered since

Mar 3, 2020

Hello and thank you for your reply

Could you please clarify what do you mean by trouble on 500 and 700

my main problem is when I connect the soundbar through ARC to the TV and my reciver to HDMI I have problems so i decided to use optical

and my only question is will I lose some quality when I use the optical cable ??

regards

Toons114
Advocate
Registered since

May 25, 2019

Because it is digital signal there are absolutly no losses by using the optic cable 

jackkinman73@gmail.com
Collaborator
Registered since

Apr 7, 2020

so this may work for some people but people using lg or maybe another company can’t do this. There is only “pcm” and “auto” so either way it sounds terrible. Arc is terrible. e-arc is something I don’t have access to but maybe that fixes the issues with normal arc. Either way arc delivers the poorest sound quality you can get. I mean even optical which is low does a better job. Now if the 700 soundbar had a hdmi Input I wouldn’t be typing this right now. But since the geniuses at Bose thought it was a good idea to only have hdmi arc. it leaves a poor taste. The equipment is stellar but people can’t hear that when arc diminishes it.

jackkinman73@gmail.com
Collaborator
Registered since

Apr 7, 2020

so I just want to specify that for hdmi arc there is low resolution. Regardless of tv or what source device you are using. Hdmi arc destroys the sound quality coming from the device. It’s best to use optical. 

NeonsNight
Mentor
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

jackkinman73@gmail.com wrote:

so this may work for some people but people using lg or maybe another company can’t do this. There is only “pcm” and “auto” so either way it sounds terrible. Arc is terrible. e-arc is something I don’t have access to but maybe that fixes the issues with normal arc. 

If you have an HDTV with ARC (not eARC) you should use Auto or Bitstream to get the best sound quality. Now, this is true for both Optical and TV ARC connections, but this way it MIGHT output standard Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS 5.1 (though know that most only output stereo).

If you send PCM via Optical or ARC it is only in stereo...  One notable difference between ARC TV's and eARC TV's is that eARC TV's can output uncompressed audio while ARC TV's cannot. 

"The main differences between ARC and eARC lie in bandwidth and speed. (..) Higher bandwidth also means that digital audio signal doesn’t have to be compressed and is much more detailed, rich and vibrant. As a result, with an eARC channel, you can enjoy the depth of movie-theatre-quality surround sound via formats such as DTS:X and DOLBY ATMOS. Due to the limitations of regular ARC, only eARC can currently process these formats."

In those cases sending out PCM from a TV with an eARC connection would ensure that you get uncompressed and lossless LPCM 7.1 to your SoundBar 700.

If you are wondering, eARC is a hardware difference, not a software one. Unless your TV has HDMI 2.1 hardware preinstalled it will be incapable of outputting eARC. You will have to confirm this with your TV manufacture.

Either way arc delivers the poorest sound quality you can get. I mean even optical which is low does a better job. 

Yes and no. I am not a fan of ARC either, but the answer depends more on which TV you have.

00227116_HDMI ARC connection-2.png

There are some ARC TV's out there which output 5.1 from either Optical and/or HDMI ARC, but there are far more which only output stereo from both.

"As great as ARC can be, there is one big issue: 5.1. Technically, TVs aren't allowed to send 5.1 audio over HDMI. In other words, if you're watching a movie on Blu-ray with 5.1 Dolby Digital or DTS and it's connected directly to your TV (Setup 1, above) your receiver might only be able to get 2.0 audio. TVs that can do this are said to have "5.1 passthrough."

This restriction isn't fully enforced, so some TVs do it anyway. Other TVs will output 5.1 via the optical output, but not ARC."

Now if the 700 soundbar had a hdmi Input I wouldn’t be typing this right now. But since the geniuses at Bose thought it was a good idea to only have hdmi arc. it leaves a poor taste. The equipment is stellar but people can’t hear that when arc diminishes it.

That's not true, the SoundBar 700 supports HDMI eARC, but is backwards compatible with older TV's that only output ARC. eARC fixes all of these issues and I do not see a reason to blame a system for supporting a standard that your TV does not. If your TV did support HDMI eARC then you wouldn't be having these issues 🤷‍♂️

As stated in another post, I made a guide to help let people know that there are ways to resolve this. From purchasing a TV that supports eARC to getting a special device that outputs eARC.