mr.nike
Participant
Registered since

Feb 16, 2021

not able to create groups of speakers

Hello,

I have just received 2 bose home speaker 300.

I am unable to group them in the app. When I click to group it looks like it's doing something (spinning wheel) then nothing happens and no group is created.

I have factory reset both speakers twice and installed my android app again.

No luck. Any help?

Bose product name: Home Speaker 300

Firmware Version: Latest

App Version: Latest

What devices were you using that were affected and what version are they on (e.g. Samsung Galaxy S9 on Android 11, iPhone X on iOS14, etc.): Samsung Galaxy Note 9

9 REPLIES 9
Jessie_O

Re: not able to create groups of speakers

Hey Mr.nike, 

Thank you for reaching out to us and welcome to the community! 

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing with your grouping. Have you been able to try with a different device to ensure it's not the source device you are using? Can you also let me know if the speakers otherwise work correctly?

I look forward to hearing from you! 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
mr.nike
Participant
Registered since

Feb 16, 2021

I found the problem.

When the speakers are connected on the guest network they cannot be grouped.

When they are connected to the primary network they can be grouped.

The guest network doesn't have any special restrictions so I do not see why they wouldn't work.

I need the speakers to be on the guest network so I'd appreciate some advice on this. 

I am Able to create a group through the simplesync options even on the guest network however as this is just a Bluetooth connection it's not perfect for my case.

Many thanks

Vicky_W

@mr.nike, I would love to explore this more. The guest network, I would love to know more about this. Please can you provide the specifications of it and how it works for you? This should help to isolate the issue.

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
mr.nike
Participant
Registered since

Feb 16, 2021

Thank you.

I use Google WiFi mesh system.

There is an option to have a guest network that is separated from the main network.

More info can be seen here: https://support.google.com/wifi/answer/6327302?hl=en-GB

It's basically a network with a different name from the main network where my guests can connect to wifi without accessing my primary network and devices.

The speakers are connected to the guest network.

What info do you require in particular?

mr.nike
Participant
Registered since

Feb 16, 2021

Any update please?

Vicky_W

@mr.nike, when using a mesh network we are adding a lot of variables into the mix and in doing so, we create areas from problems to occur. I would recommend putting your speaker onto the main WiFi network to prevent issues. 

If anyone in the community has any ideas, we would love to hear from you. 

mr.nike
Participant
Registered since

Feb 16, 2021

That's too bad as the speakers really need to be on the guest WiFi for my specific case.

This issue I only have it with Bose. I have other equipment on the guest network with no issue. At work we also have a guest network (same routers I have at home) with another brand speaker and it works fine.

It would be great if someone has a solution as otherwise I have to send the speakers back.

Many thanks

Vicky_W

@mr.nike, can I please ask why this specifically needs to be on the guest network? I ask as Guest networks can often be limited by the features available depending on the router and this could be the cause of your issue. If there is a specific reason, we do have a set of recommended router settings that we can explore together, check them out here and let me know how you get on!

mr.nike
Participant
Registered since

Feb 16, 2021

I use guest network as I simply don't want to give access to other devices (my server/Nas for example) to my guests. That's the point of a guest network.

The settings you have sent are already correct for what I could find.

Any other idea?

Many thanks