Highlighted
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Sep 2, 2014

2/23/17 - Updated: Airplay Delay Issue (Solution)

Update 2/23/17

Good afternoon,

Some users on this forum had previously been offered and installed a SoundTouch patch software to improve performance of Airplay.  We’re happy to share that this piece of software was included in our 14.0.30 full release has begun rolling out today.  It’s worth noting that although there is currently an app update available in the Google Play and iTunes app stores, your systems themselves may update later in the day. 

Once the update is complete and you have confirmed that your SoundTouch system is running software version 14.0.30, you will need to enable the option within the app.  To do this, select any Series 1 or 2 system and select the “gear” settings icon to the left of the speaker image.  From there, scroll down to “Advanced Setup” and enable the “Airplay Optimization” setting by toggling it to the right.   Pictures of these screens are below.

Airplay 1.jpgAirplay 2.jpg

Thank you for your patience during this period of time.  If you need any assistance in the future, please visit post in the community or contact your local support team.

****************************************************************************************************************

Final Update - 1/24

All, 

We have additional information regarding this issue to provide.  

It can be confirmed now that the fix for this Airplay issue will be included as part of our scheduled February update.  Apologies for any unclear information we may have provided about it being included in an older release. 

As a reminder, the issue being addressed is a symptom of an Airplay compatible SoundTouch system (Series 1 or 2) where Airplay appears to make the connection but there is a delay in the start of audio for several minutes.  This update may not resolve other types of Airplay issues and users are encouraged to report any ongoing issues after the update in a new post.

Users who have previously installed a custom firmware for this issue should not need to do anything other than accept this update when it is released.  If anyone who used the custom firmware finds that their system is not updating to the new version after release should create a new discussion here to report it.  A huge THANK YOU to these users for providing feedback on the impact the changes that we made on Airplay performance.  As of now, we are not distributing this firmware and users should wait for the full update in February.

Once a final date for the release is available, it will be provided here in the community.  

Update 10/6:
We wanted to highlight some additional information based on user feedback and address some confusion around this custom software:

• The long term solution will be included in our planned November release. 
  • This update should not be attempted to be installed on a current series Bluetooth system or home theater system that did not support Airplay out of the box.  This will not provide Airplay compatibility for these systems.
  • Airplay support has not been removed from any of our systems that have supported it.
  • Other Airplay issues (no connection, intermittent connection, etc.) will not be addressed by this software. Please either create a new post or contact your local support team for assistance. 
  • Play Everywhere functionality has not working with this this custom firmware and our current app versions.  

Thank you. 
Original Post:
Community, 
We have an interim solution available for users who are experiencing an extended delay for audio to begin after a device makes a successful connection to a SoundTouch system through Airplay.  

At this time we are currently working on getting the Airplay solution built into a future software version that will be released to all Airplay compatible SoundTouch systems.  
While we don't have a specific timeframe yet for this, we'd like to offer to provide the custom firmware we've been testing to anyone impacted by this issue who wants to install it in the meantime.  Please send an email to technical-support@bose.com with the subject line Airplay Issue and we'll respond as soon as possible with more information and instructions on how to install the custom software.  
We can also answer any questions you may have about the process at that time. 
The current version of our SoundTouch applications (available on the Google and Apple app stores) will work with full functionality with this system software.  The only noticeable difference between the general firmware that users have and this firmware should be the Airplay performance.  
Update:  We are aware that the Play Everywhere feature is not working with this beta software version.  Please consider this before installing this version.
Thank you. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Sep 2, 2014

Re: Updated: Airplay Delay Issue

Author Accepted Answer selected by Jason_G

Final Update - 1/24

All, 

We have additional information regarding this issue to provide.  

It can be confirmed now that the fix for this Airplay issue will be included as part of our scheduled February update.  Apologies for any unclear information we may have provided about it being included in an older release. 

As a reminder, the issue being addressed is a symptom of an Airplay compatible SoundTouch system (Series 1 or 2) where Airplay appears to make the connection but there is a delay in the start of audio for several minutes.  This update may not resolve other types of Airplay issues and users are encouraged to report any ongoing issues after the update in a new post.

Users who have previously installed a custom firmware for this issue should not need to do anything other than accept this update when it is released.  If anyone who used the custom firmware finds that their system is not updating to the new version after release should create a new discussion here to report it.  A huge THANK YOU to these users for providing feedback on the impact the changes that we made on Airplay performance.  As of now, we are not distributing this firmware and users should wait for the full update in February.

Once a final date for the release is available, it will be provided here in the community.  

View solution in original post

54 REPLIES 54
Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 4, 2016

I have already received instructions on how to test the new firmware but I won't be able to do that until midst of September.

With the last firmware which addressd this issue I was able to completely eliminate any AirPlay Delay with my Soundtouch portable 20 - however the iOS didn't work anymore. Therefore I hope that this new firmware will also completely eliminate it completely.
Can anyone who has already tested the new firmware please share your experience here? Is there still any (minor) AirPlay delay in your case or is it eliminated completely?

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 6, 2015

Just installed it on my my Soundtouch 30 and left everything as it was on my Soundtouch 20 (but also rebooted that one) for better comparison of Airplay Performance on both systems. So far no Airplay lag at all on both systems, which was always the case for me after a fresh reboot - let's see how things are working out in the next few days....
Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Aug 19, 2016

where can I get he update. technical department not responding.  I been waiting for 2 days

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

May 24, 2015

Also sent email 36 hours ago, no response.
Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 6, 2015

Mine was in the spam folder.
So far BOTH systems (also the one that I didn't update) are working without any Airplay lag.
Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Aug 2, 2016

Bose support and thank Jason for the delivery and installation instructions Firmware test
I tried 2 consecutive days for my SoundTouch 30 Series I and latency problems to start using airplay have completely disappeared,
in the next few days but I'm happy to be beating the latency so upset, come to wait almost 2 minutes to work Airplay, now does in seconds, 4 seconds to 5 seconds maximum,
Regards!!
Cristian from Chile
Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

May 24, 2015

STILL waiting for a response/email from support.  Nothing has been sent (not in spam folder either.)  How long does it take? 
Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 6, 2015

Three days later: The system I've updated still works fine, the system I did not update has the lag, so I'm now going to update that one too.
Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Aug 2, 2016

5 day testing my soundtouch 30 Series I, the same as when newly installed firmware, it has finally solved this issue airplay,
It works perfect
greetings!