Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Feb 6, 2018

4K Netflix not playing throught SoundTouch 300

I got my SoundTouch 300, Acoustimass 300 and VI speakers a few weeks ago to replace an old and cheap Samsung soundbar. The new setup sounds great.

Using the Amazon Fire TV, I was able to play 4K content to my 4K Sharp TV using the old soundbar. However, none of the available 4K content on Netflix will play on my TV anymore. Only HD content plays with no issues. If I start any 4K show, I get a black screen and nothing else (I then click the back button on the Fire TV remote to go back to the prior screen).

I am using the ARC HDMI connection to the TV using the included Bose HDMI cable. The Amazon Fire TV connects to the other HDMI input in the Soundtouch 300, as recommended in the manual.

How could the old and cheap Samsung product work fine for 4K but my Bose soundbar wont?

Can anyone help me?

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Leader
Registered since

Jun 7, 2017

Re: 4K Netflix not playing throught SoundTouch 300

I'd try to check with another cable than the bose one. I read somewhere it isn't a HDMI 2.0 compliant one, which could cause the described issue.

I for myself was able to passthrough 4K HDR content from a LG UP970 via HDMI IN on the ST300 through the arc to the TV, but i only use HDMI 2.0/b compliant cables.

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi betobautista,

Thank you for your post. I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue. We'd be happy to assist. @MykelNeiD, thank you for providing this great troubleshooting step. The included high-speed HDMI cable should still work with HDMI 2.0 devices, however trying another high-speed HDMI cable is still a step we should try to rule out any issues with the included cable. 

@betobautista, please try switching out the HDMI cable between the TV and SoundTouch 300 with another high-speed HDMI cable. I'd be sure that the cable indicates that it is HDMI 2.0 compatible (2.0a if attempting to pass 4K-HDR content). 

Let us know if anything changes after trying another cable!

Best regards,

Brian - Bose Support

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Feb 6, 2018

Thank you @Brian_M and @MykelNeiD, I did try using a different HDMI cable last night but it didn't help. I tried all possible combinations of cables, switched ends, etc. One interesting thing tho, the issue appears to happen 90% of the time. What I mean is if I keep trying to play the 4K content I get it to play sometimes, maybe 1 out of 10 tries, and this behavior happened with 2 different cables (this might mean the problem isn't the cable). Also, I noticed the screen flickering and showing artifacts as I slightly moved the cable connector when is plugged into the HDMI port of the ST300 which kind of tells me there might be an issue with the port. One time the screen was just totally green, then it was cover with "snow" type of noise.

On top of this after I started troubleshooting this issue, the ST300 does not automatically wake up when I turn on the Amazon Fire TV. I had already configured it for auto-wake by holding the power button down for a few seconds until I got the tone. I tried to re-configure it and it wont work. Maybe I need to factory reset the whole thing?

I am thinking about going to best buy to exchange it for a new one because this is getting frustraiting.

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hello betobautista,

Thank you for getting back to us with the details. Factory default instructions of your SoundTouch 300 can be found HERE. Let us know what the results are, even if you exchange out your system to Best Buy.

Kind Regards,

Joel - Bose Support

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Feb 6, 2018

Hi @Joel_D,

I plugged in the optiacl cable and I was able to play the 4K content. Go figure. Maybe it was something with the HDMI? I still have the HDMI plugged into the ARC port of the ST300 so it turns on and off automatically.

Thanks,

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi betobautista,

Thank you for this update. Happy to hear everything seems to be working now! It is definitely strange that this allowed the video to begin working. I'd agree that either the HDMI cable or some HDMI setting was preventing both 4K video and digital audio to be passed through the cable at the same time. Let us know if anything changes, or if you have any additional questions!

Best regards,

Brian - Bose Support