5.1 PCM for Soundtouch 300

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor

5.1 PCM for Soundtouch 300

Will soundtouch 300 support 5.1 PCM audio from Sony Blu-ray player instead of using bitsream?
26 REPLIES 26
Quiet Contributor

Re: 5.1 PCM for Soundtouch 300

Any updates from Bose or anyone?

Hi ssingh,

Thanks for the question, and welcome to the community.

There's no information regarding PCM 5.1 being added to the list of compatible formats for the SoundTouch 300.  If this changes, we will update the community with the information.

Best Regards,

Brandon - Community Support

Quiet Contributor

Hi Brandon,

So currently 5.1 PCM is not supported by SoundTouch 300?
Quiet Contributor

Even though I can still get sound out of SoundTouch 300 when set the blu ray player to output 5.1 PCM. I don't know what soundtouch 300 does internally when it receives that audio signal.
Quiet Contributor

Hi Brendan
Please advise what does soundtouch 300 do when it receives 5.1 pcm audio as I am still able to hear audio then. But based on your earlier response soundtouch 300 does not support 5.1 PCM?
Audible Advocate

I am confused by this as well.

I have my PS4 set to output 5.1 using PCM and connected directly to ST 300 with HDMI. I believe I have been experiencing 5.1 surround as every speaker fired correctly using a test sample.

If Bose does not support PCM, then should I set the PS4 output to Bitstream? 

Am I missing out on the true 5.1 surround sound from the ST300 if PCM is not a supported option? I thought PCM was always best when connecting via HDMI.

Please advise Bose. Thank you!

Hi ssingh and mspencer7sa,

Interesting.  I'm going to investigate this as my understanding is that the ST300 won't support PCM 5.1 (but obviously it is).

I'll follow up when I have more information.

Best,

Brandon

Audible Advocate

Thanks Brandon.

So for everyone here, can you tell me is it better to have the PS4 decode the 5.1 signal from the bluray (PCM) or have the ST300 decode the 5.1 signal (Bitstream)? After researching, I see mixed reviews. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Great question mspencer7sa,

I recommend Bitstream.  Bitstream actually means that the PS4 will be decoding, and sending Dolby Digital or DTS audio to the Soundbar, which is excellent.  This is how I have my V25 home theater system set in my home.

Best,

Brandon