Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Apr 27, 2017

650 expensive and very heavy brick

After 8 hours, my 650 is still showing a blinking amber light and BOSE screen after I agreed to the software update. Have spent an hour with support and the only solution is to take it to service center - any other ideas before I do that?

Really annoyed with this as the sound is good, but its so unreliable

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

May 16, 2016

Re: 650 expensive and very heavy brick

Hi winstonDXB, 

I'm very sorry to hear this. If you haven't done so already, can you try a control console reset to see if it helps? To do so:

1. Keep the TV and control console on
  2. On the control console, press and hold Source and Power for five seconds. The TV and the console will turn off.
  3. Release the buttons. The LED on the console flashes white
  4. Once the LED turns solid amber, press Power on the control console. The LED flashes white again while the system turns on and reboots
  5. Wait for the LED to turn solid white before retesting the system

Note: This reset does not erase settings. 

If this doesn't work, can you try a factory default reset by following this procedure:

1. Keep the TV and control console on
  2. On the control console, press and hold the Source and Setup buttons for ten seconds.
  3. When the LED on the console will blinks once, release the buttons. The console will then turn off and begin to reboot.
  4. Once the LED begins to blink amber (five seconds on, one second off), press the Power button on the control console. The LED flashes white while the system turns on.
  5. When the "Press the OK button" screen appears, if pressing OK does not cause the next setup screen to appear, press and hold both the Glow button on the rear of the remote control and the OK button on the front of the remote – simultaneously – for five seconds. The remote control will then pair with the console and the langauge selection screen will appear.

Note: This process erases all Unify and user selected settings in the console. ADAPTiQ calibration settings will not be reset. After the reset is performed, Unify will need to be run in full. This is a destructive reset and should not be used except in extreme or recommended cases. 

Thank you 

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jun 28, 2017

Hi Brent_B,

I had experienced exactly the same problem as winstonDXB did.

I tried the first solution, it went well untill step 3. However, blinkng amber showed again after that.

Then I tried the second solution you provided, but nothing happened after I pressed and held the Source and Setup buttons together.

Is there any other solution could for us to try? It is quite unbelievable that a software update could possibly...

Thank you.

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Apr 27, 2017

So, quick update on this...

In the end, I just unplugged everything and took it back to the store that I bought it from. Although the sales person was not technically trained, he was most helpful and apologetic. I dont exactly know what he did, and he probaby did what was suggested, but the big difference was that it was not connected to the Internet I believe. I normally connect by ethernet and this was not available in the store. Whatever he did, it seemed to work and when I got home and plugged it all back it, it seemed OK.

Bottom line is that the system sounds good, but its just so unreliable for something that costs this much...

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Apr 27, 2017

I also need to know how to prevent automatic software updates? I just dont need this s**t each time...

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

May 16, 2016

Hi eusden, 

To clarify, you also had the Bose logo stuck on your screen as well? Can you try to disconnect your system from your network and see if allows a reset to happen? You could do this by unplugging the Ethernet cable attached to the system or by temporarily unplugging your router. You may also need to manually re-install the update using the Manual USB update procedure mentioned HERE

- winstonDXB, It's good to hear your system is back up and running. I'm sorry it was so much trouble. Thank you for closing the loop with us.

Kind Regards

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jun 28, 2017

Thank you so much for the reply. I disconnected the router and tried the methods above, then it worked!

However, I tried to do the Manually updating with a USB drive but the system kept showing failure. At least I finally got the sounds back. Maybe I can only expect the upcoming software update will be more stable, and I don't have to suffer from all these inconvenience at that time.