Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
David_r1
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 24, 2017

A 6304 error issue that the community help solutions do not resolve

I purchased and set up my Bose Soundtouch 10 today and then added my Itunes library to it.  All worked well and I was extremely impressed by the product, scrolling through a few different playlists to get a feel for the sound quality.  I set up preset buttons for different playlists from my Itunes library and was trying each of them out using the remote.  Problem arose when I tried to skip back through a playlist from the last song to the first.  I pressed the "reverse skip" multiple times in succession to skip back a number of songs and all went quiet.  Investigating the problem finally led to me looking on the App and seeing that I had error 6304 when I tried to select my Itunes music library on the App.   Internet radio and Spotify still work.

I am running the Soundtouch App on a late 2009 IMac with a 3.06 GHz processor, upgraded to 12 GB RAM, and running macOS Sierra 10.12.3 

I have tried:

- Powering down the speaker, leaving for 30+ seconds then powering back up

- Relocating the speaker to be right next to the Router (& checked signal strength strong)

- Removing the speaker from my Soundtouch account and then reconnecting

- Removing my Itunes Library from the available services and then adding it again

- Including all the Soundtouch apps in my computer firewall "allow" list

But still no luck.

Please help.  What else should I try before I return the product to the store ?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Brent_B
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

May 16, 2016

Re: A 6304 error issue that the community help solutions do not resolve

Hi David_r1, 

I'm sorry you have had so much trouble. Thank you for sharing everything that you've done so far. We recently (on Tuesday, 3/28) released an interface update for the app that should update the interface to 14.90.3. Can you see if this helps the eliminate the 6304? The update should  happen automatically when you launch the app. If it doesn't, please try to log out and back in on all of your devices running the app. If this doesn't help, can you try to power cycle your router and re-test? What is the make and model of your router? Is your library located on your computer, USB drive or external hard drive? Do you use the SoundTouch app on any other devices (smart phone/tablet)? Do they also get the 6304 or is it just your Mac? I know that uninstalling has helped, does closing and re-opening also help? Are you using the Mac's firewall or a third party one? Does temporarily disabling it prevent the error or does it still occur?

Thank you 

View solution in original post

David_r1
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 24, 2017

Author Accepted Answer selected by David_r1

Thanks Brent.

The 28th March update seems to have greatly improved things, if not resolved them - too early to say confidently yet.

I disconnected and reconnected the speaker (and updated).  I had to reload my 2 Itunes playlists to my presets, but since then:

- Itunes playlist presets still dont work when my Imac has gone to sleep (but this is probably to be expected given it needs to access Itunes)

- The speaker software did not however "lock up" when I selected an Itunes playlist preset while the Imac is asleep.  It just didnt play anything on that preset, but I could still select my other streaming presets (Spotify, radio etc)

- When I woke the Imac from sleep I could then use the Itunes playlist presets again without needing to do anything else (ie. the Soundtouch just seems to need to be able to access the Imac to be able to play the Itunes playlist - which makes sense)

So much happier, but I will refrain from saying it's fixed until I have used it a bit more in a greater variety of scenarios (such as powering down the speaker and then reconnecting,...)

Re. your other questions:

- Router is a Telstra Gateway Max

mygateway

Firmware Ver:

(Ecos) : 5510_V10413
(Linux) : 2.6.30.V1.04.13

- Itunes library is located on my Imac

- Soundtouch only being used with this device to date

- Using Mac firewall, but given the above apparent success I have not tried temporarily disabling it (I did previously add all the Soundtouch related Apps to the "allowed" list however and this did not resolve the problem)

Hopefully this is of some help for your software development and bug fixing.

Cheers from david

8 REPLIES 8
David_r1
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 24, 2017

I finally found a solution to get my Itunes playlist working again, by unistalling the App and then reloading it again.  Pretty sad that I had to do this first day I had it.

The question for the developers is why did the fault happen and what are you doing to address it ?

(I am hapy to help with tests/feeback)

David_r1
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 24, 2017

In summary, great product, but need to take a leaf from the Apple playbook.  It needs to work 100% no ifs no buts.

Dont worry about extra features until "it just works" (the reason why Apple products are so popular).

David_r1
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 24, 2017

And when I turned it back on later I was back to the same error - 6304

So definitely something the developers need to sort, or should I just return my product to the store (as at the moment it is little more than just a very expensive radio)

Brent_B
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

May 16, 2016

Hi David_r1, 

I'm sorry you have had so much trouble. Thank you for sharing everything that you've done so far. We recently (on Tuesday, 3/28) released an interface update for the app that should update the interface to 14.90.3. Can you see if this helps the eliminate the 6304? The update should  happen automatically when you launch the app. If it doesn't, please try to log out and back in on all of your devices running the app. If this doesn't help, can you try to power cycle your router and re-test? What is the make and model of your router? Is your library located on your computer, USB drive or external hard drive? Do you use the SoundTouch app on any other devices (smart phone/tablet)? Do they also get the 6304 or is it just your Mac? I know that uninstalling has helped, does closing and re-opening also help? Are you using the Mac's firewall or a third party one? Does temporarily disabling it prevent the error or does it still occur?

Thank you 

David_r1
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 24, 2017

Author Accepted Answer selected by David_r1

Thanks Brent.

The 28th March update seems to have greatly improved things, if not resolved them - too early to say confidently yet.

I disconnected and reconnected the speaker (and updated).  I had to reload my 2 Itunes playlists to my presets, but since then:

- Itunes playlist presets still dont work when my Imac has gone to sleep (but this is probably to be expected given it needs to access Itunes)

- The speaker software did not however "lock up" when I selected an Itunes playlist preset while the Imac is asleep.  It just didnt play anything on that preset, but I could still select my other streaming presets (Spotify, radio etc)

- When I woke the Imac from sleep I could then use the Itunes playlist presets again without needing to do anything else (ie. the Soundtouch just seems to need to be able to access the Imac to be able to play the Itunes playlist - which makes sense)

So much happier, but I will refrain from saying it's fixed until I have used it a bit more in a greater variety of scenarios (such as powering down the speaker and then reconnecting,...)

Re. your other questions:

- Router is a Telstra Gateway Max

mygateway

Firmware Ver:

(Ecos) : 5510_V10413
(Linux) : 2.6.30.V1.04.13

- Itunes library is located on my Imac

- Soundtouch only being used with this device to date

- Using Mac firewall, but given the above apparent success I have not tried temporarily disabling it (I did previously add all the Soundtouch related Apps to the "allowed" list however and this did not resolve the problem)

Hopefully this is of some help for your software development and bug fixing.

Cheers from david

David_r1
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 24, 2017

Just to follow up on my previous post I have tried pretty hard to "break" it since installing the update but so far I cant find a problem.

I was still finding the Itunes playlist presets would stop playing after about 15 minutes but I am pretty sure this was when the IMac was going into sleep mode.

Importantly, when I have lost the Itunes laylist presets it has only been temporary till I woke the IMac from sleep. I have now changed my IMac auto sleep settings to be 3 hrs instead of 15 minutes and I expect this will address this issue.

So I think I can safely say this issue is fixed.  Thankyou.

Brent_B
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

May 16, 2016

That is great to hear! Please let us know if the issue returns. 

Thank you 

Susan67
Participant
Registered since

Apr 7, 2017

I have to uninstall and then reinstall the program onto my Mac every week or two - when I get this message.  The good news is, that works.  The bad news is it is pretty ridiculous to have to do this. I assume it is when there is an update in the program but why on earth it means it can't find my Itunes library I do not know.  I spent an hour on the phone to a technician from Bose when it first happened, and in the end uninstalling and reinstalling was the only thing that worked. It is annoying I have to redo it so often. It was also amazing to me that this error is talked about a lot on these message boards and the technician hadn't heard of it.  So that is why I am replying to a few people with this error message in this community - to say that, annoying as it is, it is possible to fix if you are happy to spend fifteen minutes every week or so on it.