Mikey81675
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 18, 2018

AM300 low volume clunking

At low volume my sub puts out a sort of strange clunking noise almost resembling the aliens in Independence day ha ha. I thought it may have been a damaged unit so I exchanged it at the store. The new one has the same sound so I'm wondering if anyone what has noticed this and may have ideas on fixing this problem
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Re: AM300 low volume clunking

Hi Mikey81675,

Thanks for the post, and sorry to hear about the issues.  I've moved your post to the SoundTouch Community.

When does this happen?  During specific audio?  What system do you have?  The SoundTouch 300 or maybe the Lifestyle 650?

Let us know so we can get this resolved!

Best,

Brandon

Highlighted
Mikey81675
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 18, 2018

I have the Soundtouch 300 and currently have the Acoustimass 300 connected via Bluetooth. The cracking or popping sound happens during any type of use including movies, live TV, country or rock music. Mostly as the bass is steady.
Highlighted
Mikey81675
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 18, 2018

Almost has a sound like a speaker wire is loose and during the occurrence the bass lowers in volume or somewhat studders. I initially made my purchase and noticed this noise within a few days so I swapped it out at the store the weekend following the purchase and the replacement, which is the one I currently have, does this also. Maybe this additional information will help
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

Hi Mikey81675

Thanks for all the information, it really helps. Could I ask what other devices are within a 5ft area of the system ( WIFI Router, Repeaters, Apple TV's, Gaming system, etc)? Would it be possible for you to try using a 3.5mm aux cable between the SoundBar and the Acoustimass module to rule out that wireless interference? 

Please come back and let us know.

Tony

Highlighted
Mikey81675
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 18, 2018

I have my modem, wireless router, and Xbox One game system all within 3 feet of the sub. Someone else mentioned trying a different outlet? Also I was under the impression I needed to have the sub close to the sound bar
Highlighted
Mikey81675
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 18, 2018

I just tried moving the sub to the opposite side of the room which is about 15 feet and also a different outlet and still the same. I turned the bass down all the way and the crackling noise continues
Highlighted
Mikey81675
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 18, 2018

Well I just connected my AM300 to the ST300 with the wire you recommended and it appears to have stopped making that noise. I already had the Soundtouch wired with the optical port so I'm betting there is an interference present which didn't become known until I bought the sub. I have no idea what it could be but that's the fix, at least a usable resolution. I'd sure like to go wireless the way I should be able to which was one of my reasons for the purchase. Could there be a software upgrade or change out there in Bose land?
Highlighted
Mikey81675
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 18, 2018

Well I just connected my AM300 to the ST300 with the 3.5mm wire Tony_G recommended and it appears to have stopped making that noise. I already had the Soundtouch wired with the optical port from my Samsung Smart TV due to not having luck with the wireless connection (imagine that, they have their own brand so why would they want me buying Bose) I'm betting there is an interference present which didn't become known until I bought the sub. I have no idea what it could be but that's the fix, at least a usable resolution. I'd sure like to go wireless the way I should be able to which was one of my reasons for the purchase. Could there be a software upgrade or change out there in Bose land?
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

Hi Mikey81675

That's great to hear that your system is working! Based on what you describe it does sound like some interference in the room. One way to figure out where the problem is coming from is to unplug everything close to your system, test it, and plug the devices in one at a time to see if that can help you narrow down the issue.

Good luck and let us know what you find,

Tony