Fasciana
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Sep 19, 2017

Re: Acoustimass 300, SoundTouch 300, and reports of low bass

Hey folks,

I was doing a lot of testing today and without detours I'll come straight to the point, 16.xxx sucks!

It's right, as I posted yesterday, there is more base than in 15.xxx but way to little compared to 14.xxx. And I, for my taste and pleasure, lost the overall listening experience. Means that the sound in general got worse, not as clear as before also the base got a little bit better.

To shock you all I have recognized the following:
I'm owning a sonos play one, the smallest speaker of sonos which exists (it's about the size of a shoe box) and you probably guessed it already, this small speaker has more power (base, and it sounds pretty full and low frequency come pretty good) than the st 300! Of course at certain level of volume the sonos regulates the base down in order not to harm the hardware.

But how can this be that a regular speaker has more base than a sub (accusticmass module)?? I really don't get it!
Dave Gilbert76
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Aug 14, 2017

Of course lena.

I get it and your experience is just important and valid as mine, and there is a saying "you can please some of the people, some of the time, but you cannot please all people at all times".

If I understand you correctly you are worried that 16 contains too much bass for your preferences and 15 was more suitable for you. I think for users of 14 there was nowhere to go upwards- i.e we wantsd more bass on 16.

But for yourself on 16 there is plenty of scope to take the AM300 down to a level that suits you... i hope that made sense and i do understand your concerns. I spent £1600 on my system and it is not working in the way it was before. We are all on the same ship here.

Dave.
Fasciana
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Sep 19, 2017

@Dave Gilbert76

" I spent £1600 on my system and it is not working in the way it was before. We are all on the same ship here"

Couldn't say it better!

@bose
Come please do something!
StayingFrosty
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 15, 2017

@Dave Gilbert76

I've found calibration has helped only slightly (with bass) and I've redone it a few times so I don't think that will improve..  My personal experience is that without calibration the overall sound is terrible on most sources.

Sundar
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Jan 10, 2017

Given that lot of people not satisfied with the 16.x upgrade, Bose should stop upgrading to remaining people (Stage 2) and find a proper fix for it.

BTW I am one of the people who hasn't got upgrade.

Pomps
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Aug 4, 2017

@Sundar
How do you figure "a lot of people are not satisfied with v16"? There's a lot of people who've been contributing to this thread for several months and every single one has acknowledged that v16 is a step up from v15. Some maintain that v14 sets the bar and we still have a little way to go to reach that level, but that does not make v16 unacceptable.
One or two people claim they have less bass with 16 than 15. Given that the main point of 16 was to improve bass I can only imagine something else has gone wrong for those people - some of whom have started new threads and Bose are working through it with them.
Then there's those who've decided to complain before they've even tried the update - complaining about the fact that the update exists at all and that it MIGHT make their system worse. I don't think we can count those as "not satisfied"
Pomps
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Aug 4, 2017

Bose - you've opened Pandora's box here. You're going to get stuck in an endless cycle of updates chasing the impossible. You will never please everyone, but because of the firmware upgrade capabilities everyone will expect you to nevertheless.
The real solution is an adjustable equalizer.

Hi everyone, 

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the update. Feel free to continue to let us know what you think. 

Hi Pomps - I'm not aware of any plans to integrate an adjustable EQ but If I hear otherwise, I'll make sure to share it! 

Thank you 

Pomps
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Aug 4, 2017

@Brent_B thanks for the response. I was rather hoping we could take a more active approach than waiting to see if such a thing materialises in its own 😉
Highlighted

Absolutely! Adding one is definitely a great idea. I will pass the feedback on.