Jbaker
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Mar 1, 2017

Re: Acoustimass 300, SoundTouch 300, and reports of low bass

Its very strange. I'm in a completely different position to many others here. For me version 15.xx sounded amazing i am 100% satisfied with the sound its difficult for me to think back to 14.xx but i remember thinking at the time 15.xx was released that it seemed better than before.

I was one of those who received the 16.xx update prior to it being pulled away and the sound quality has completely changed for the worse.

Its clear that the low frequancy rumble is boosted on 16.xx for example 15.xx +2 on bass setting sounds perfect to my ears on 16.xx +2 on bass makes the rumble type sounds way too obnoxious so on 16.xx i move the bass down a notch to +1. Then the rumble sounds are about right, however, the mid bass frequancys seem completely gone no matter what i do.

In 15.xx it seems people complained of not enough "thunder"so Bose boosted the super low frequancys but at the expense of the normal bass/midbass thump. It just sounds like something is missing in the middle. I turn the bass up to compensate but then its just obnoxious rumble with no substance.

I have downgraded to 15.xx ran adaptiq and back to great sound again. I really hope they find a solution to suit me as i seem to be in the minority here. For now ill stick with 15.xx as the sound is so much better.
Highlighted
Pomps
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Aug 4, 2017

I think this is an important observation that @Petrovich made. It seems like the AdaptIQ behavior is different from v14 to 15/16 and with the settings being saved across versions people are having different experiences depending on whether they've factory reset or not. Something to pass on to the devs @Brent_B ?
Fasciana
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Sep 19, 2017

So guys. Testing for today completed.

As I wrote earlier I downgraded to 14.xxx and did a factory reset!

I first leave the st 300 (+sub+vis) as it comes out of the box! Rumbling is back, 5.1 dd surround sound is back! It is more clear and wider again!

I tested 15.xxx and 16.xxz with curse of the Caribbean and saving privat Ryan. Both out of the box and with adaptiq. So as everyone says or better most of the user say, 15.xxx is the worst of all the firmwares for me! There is nearly no base on even maxed out base level, don't matter if adativiq was used or not!

16.xxx was much better but it was still very thin in sound and base (means, that surround effects like bullets, explosions where almost not there on both 15.xxx and 16.xxx, voice, eg dialogues where hardly to understand! The sound seemed blurry and dull!)

With 14.xxx the wide and strong base was back, the whole sound is more vivid. I got surround effects again, dialogues are understandable and the overall tone is very brilliant, clear and vivid! The out of the sound of 14.xxx is pretty good with adativiq it's even better again. Base is on default and it's so good again, you can feel it even with a low volume of listening. In 15.xxx and 16.xxx that was impossible! If you don't know it you might think that there is a new sound system. It's just not comparable! I really can't understand, that @bose can't get us this setup back. As I sit and write this short report, saving private Ryan is running on TV with the opening scene when the allied troops reach the French shore. It's so incredible what sound it is again! I really impressed how great the system really is... But on the other hand I realize again what poor sound I was listening so for about two months.

Please @bose give us this great sound back, that sound why I/we bought this system for! It's so amazing, how good it sounds!

I invite you to send your technics in to my home so that they will see the differences between 14.xxx and 15.xxx/16.xxx.

In the name of all the users facing these problems, do something!
Sundar
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Jan 10, 2017

Can someone PM me 14.x download link

Thanks.

Hi everyone

I wanted to follow up with another weekly update. We’re still on track to visit a few of our beta testers in October, take measurements and see if there are any learnings we can apply moving forward. 
As we posted earlier this week 16.x is currently on hold while we investigate the root cause for a Play All issue that was reported by a handful of users. When we have an updated date for the deployment, we will share it. 

HI Pomps, 

Absolutely. Prior to version 15 there was indeed a software bug where ADAPTiQ wasn't applying correctly to the SoundTouch 300. I made mention of that in the thread HERE. This was brought up to us proactively by the Dev team. 

Thank you

Cheryz
Silent Starter
Registered since

Sep 28, 2017

What's the update then I just updated my software through the app and got V16?
Pomps
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Aug 4, 2017

@Brent_B it seems the "bug" might actually have been a beneficial feature
cycheang
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Sep 28, 2017

I not able to flash through the update.stu for v16 given. I'm using manual way via usb plug from pc to soundbar mini usb. It stuck on "Prepares for update"

jaybo41
Vocal Volunteer
Registered since

Dec 23, 2016

I don't have the tools or the exact memory to compare 14.x to 16.x in terms of measuring exact frequencies.  I noted this in a previous post but want to express this again.  I was doing beta testing on 16.x I noted the following observations.

15.x lacked bass from the AM 300 and seemed to push bass frequencies to the ST 300.  I think we can mostly all agre on that.  

I use Dialogue mode for watching TV and for music it was off.  Movies I mostly use dialoge mode, but will alternate with that to suit my tastes.  

With 14.x, whilst listening to music, bass setting had to be on 2 or 3.  4 on occasion but 4 was usually a bit much to suit my taste.  15, x I used bass setting 4 and it STILL didn't seem to produce enough bass to suit me.  

With 16.x, I am back to 2 or 3 bass setting and occasional 4.  Very unscientific and non audiophile but truly the only measure I have.  It's impossible for me to recount from memory and I'm not going through the downgrade process. I applaud those of you willing to put in that effort in.  I just want to use and enjoy the system with minimial effort as it was intended.  

Calibration with AdaptiQ seemed to improve my experience with 16.x, while nothing really helped with 15.x and with 14, I'l just say that I'm not sure how it impaced the sound.  The system was so new to me at that time I just followed instructions and ran the AdaptiQ.  

One thing that is very clear to me though this lengthy thread is that the apps could benefit SIGNIFICANTLY from adding an EQ in.  Whether it's pre set or advanced, we all have different preferences for how we like to hear sound from our ST systems.  I've recommended that here on the forum and to the Admin I was interacting with and providing feedback to through the testing process.  I look forward to learning of the findings once the Technicians have visited ST owners.  Hopefully this process benefits us all.  I do believe it's a good show of faith to Bose committment to resolve this. 

As an aside note, I've had two other pieces of technolgy recently that have been impacted by updated firmware/software and one thing is very clear between those two and the ST Systems.  Consumers want a fix immediately.  That's the expectation.  The reality is, that's not always possible.  Stay patient folks.  

Petrovich
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

May 4, 2017

@cycheang   100% work direct from usb drive

Use a female USB A to male micro USB A adapter.

Copy the file Update.stu onto a USB drive

• Insert the USB drive into Setup port on the back of the soundbar.
  • Unplug the power cord from your system. System must be On at that moment.
  • Press and release the SoundTouch button on the SoundTouch 300 remote.
  • Press and hold CC button on the remote while you apply power cord into the soundbar.(Keep pressing until the first Wi-Fi LED begin blink white, it takes about 6-7 seconds.
  • After the lights stop blinking, wait about 10 minutes for the update to fully complete.