lena
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Sep 7, 2017

Re: Acoustimass 300, SoundTouch 300, and reports of low bass

As my post got deleted, again:

------

So, just to add my 2 cents here about v16 (compared to v15 and v14):

In my case, i was really satisfied with v15, even with some smaller issues. I did not like v14 at all (too much bass, way to much highs, some sounds [eg: footsteps] were strange)

v15 was very leveled in bass, even if there could be more lower mids or mids at all. The ST300 is definetily lacking mid-tones. If you compare to a Acoustimass system (we own a Acoustimass 10 Series V as well) you will notice that the old Acoustimass bass module gives a lot of more midtones then the AM300 does.

v16 sounds more like v14 which my husband and me does not like at all. Bass is to heavy, mids are still missing, highs are too heavy. Footsteps sound weired again. And speech level is as awful again as in v14. Dialoge sound is a mess again (no matter if dialoge mode is enabled or not). Women voices sound dull and to crispy in particular, i dont know how to describe exactly. Men voices are a little better, but still far from what i expect from a 1700€ system (ST300 & AM300).

@Mods: Is there a way to return the system even when testing period is over (we bought in February)? Please contact me through private message - thanks.

I am very dissapointed that your chosen beta testers only seem to concentrate on bass levels in v16, and everything else is still poor or worse as it has been. I want to make sure: The sound stage of the ST300 is phenomal and sounds absolutely phantastic, but speech is a complete mess. If your dev team tries to improve sound of speech (and give us an EQ settings possibility) the ST300 will be an amazing sound system.

Animal
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Jul 21, 2017

Ya Pat, that is what I meant by I havent done the trick yet on v16 as I’m happy with the sound I have now after updating directly from v14. But for science I may try the trick tomorrow:). I am very afraid though in case it messes up the sound and I have to start all over again lol. Thanks though man for all the good work you are doing on this thread.
PatR171
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Jul 10, 2017

@Aphex wrote:

Wth that trick and v16 i think i have the best sound i ever had on this system. i am not touching anything now! for a long time 😄

Enjoy your soundexperience Robot Very Happy

Pomps
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Aug 4, 2017

@lena
While I quite like the additional bass I get from v16 I agree with you 100% regarding the mids and highs - nowhere near enough mid and way too much high. Footsteps can sound like like B-movie laser guns and female voices are thin. It's like the audio equivalent of the TV showroom demo picture mode ("dynamic") - everything is overdone and unrealistic and jarring to the senses.
I'm hoping the measurements they're undertaking at the moment with some of the testers from this thread will help. But in the end, at the risk of sounding like a broken record...Bose give us an adjustable EQ!
PatR171
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Jul 10, 2017

@Animal wrote:
Ya Pat, that is what I meant by I havent done the trick yet on v16 as I’m happy with the sound I have now after updating directly from v14. But for science I may try the trick tomorrow:). I am very afraid though in case it messes up the sound and I have to start all over again lol. Thanks though man for all the good work you are doing on this thread.

Great news,

If you are happy with your sound now that's all that counts. If you followed a particular order follow this again and you will get your soundexperience back.

Maybe this week clarifies a lot 😉

As I said there is still work in progress believe me.

To be continued...

Aphex
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Feb 14, 2017

regardig to much bass = turn it down with remote??

Weird footsteps sound, is another issue, wich was discussed in another tread a long time ago, i dont think it is so bad anymore.

but maybe i just got use to it.

one thing i notiched, is if someone is in a room, inside something building in a movie, for example a party or a room where there would echo, it seems dialog is very faint, and very hard to hear, i mean the "noise" of the sorrounding is to load compared to the dialog.

Fasciana
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Sep 19, 2017

Hi guys,

I know the following is a little of topic but I am pretty confused.

I downgraded my st 300 last week. So fine so good.

But I watched a about 55 minutes of movie and the sound touch 300 powered itself off!?!

The st 300 is connected via optical to the TV. I'm owning a the st300 system plus sub plus vis since the systems was out last year. I never experienced such problems. I also googeled the issue but I could not find anything.

I would be thankful for suggestions. Thx
mespino
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 25, 2017

@Fasciana wrote:
Hi guys,

I know the following is a little of topic but I am pretty confused.

I downgraded my st 300 last week. So fine so good.

But I watched a about 55 minutes of movie and the sound touch 300 powered itself off!?!

The st 300 is connected via optical to the TV. I'm owning a the st300 system plus sub plus vis since the systems was out last year. I never experienced such problems. I also googeled the issue but I could not find anything.

I would be thankful for suggestions. Thx

Hey @PatR171 you asked about this issue right? 

PatR171
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Jul 10, 2017

Yes, From v16 you can switch this powersaving option off in the app:

https://community.bose.com/t5/SoundTouch-Speakers/Soundtouch-300-keeps-shuting-off-the-TV-every-18-m...

Animal
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Jul 21, 2017

Yes Pat is right. If you downgrade to any previous firmware you will lose this function. It is only available on v16.