Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
src233
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 17, 2017

Re: Acoustimass 300, SoundTouch 300, and reports of low bass

I need help.

I have the ST 300 with the AM300 and VI300 speakers. The AM300 is connected directly to the ST300.

I upgraded the software to 16.0.12 today. All seemed fine; I thought the sound was crisper than with v14, and way better than the "muddy" sound that I felt v15 put out. However, I noticed that my IOS app gave me the option to "update speaker". I did that, and suddenly the sound went back to what I thought v15 sounded like. I did a factory reset; no help. I tried to use the red button on the remote to see what the firmware on the soundbar is, not realizing that the instructions are apparently for another Soundtouch system. After I pressed and held the red button, the power button kept blinking 3 times over and over again.

I did another factory reset. Now I can't get sound from the TV / satellite system. The music through the IOS app sounds OK, but TV accounts for over 99% of our usage of the system. I've rechecked the TV settings for external speakers and CEC; all seems fine. Again, nothing changed about the physical setup; the problem seems to have started with me pressing and holding the red button on the remote, and then trying to recover from the weird blinking pattern.

After about an hour, I tried the optical connection. We don't seem to get sound through the AM300 with the optical connection, but the remote does change the TV volume now.

Oh, and since I hit the red button, the VI300 speakers haven't connected. I think I tried to pair them again once, but I'm way more concerned about difficulty getting the TV to work with the system again. 

After about 2 hours of effort, I am way worse off than I was with v14, v15, and even the first few hours of v16. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

src233
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 17, 2017

Quick update:

Apparently when I connected the optical connection, that reset the bass level to the lowest setting. Once I realized that, I easily cranked it back up to the max, which is where I like it.

Once the AM300 started working to my satisfaction, I did successfully pair the VI300 speakers. 

I'm again pretty happy with the way things are; my only problem is that when we previously used the HDMI ARC channel, we could see the volume setting changes on the TV screen as we used the volume up/down buttons. Now we have no feedback other than the volume changes themselves.

Brent_B
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

May 16, 2016

Hi mozzzee, 

One more point of clarification here. Doing this may not technically increase the low frequencies but rather prevents the Acoustimass module from being affected from AiQ. The AM300 won't be reduced by AiQ if you have the AM module is a good location for bass output. If, however, you have the AM300 in a poor location for bass output, then AiQ may actually increase bass if the module is connected during AiQ setup. I hope this helps. 

Hi src233, 

I'm sorry to hear that. I'd recommend trying to add the HDMI ARC in tandem with the optical connection to see if that brings the volume adjustment back to your TV. 

Thank you 

santhosam72
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 17, 2017

Hi Brent,

I upgraded to 16.x.x yesterday and it is much better than 15.x.x.

I love the sound now. The ST300 sound is crisp now and AM300 thundering now. I moved the AM300 little bit some other plance now it suited very well.

But it is not exact same flavour of 14.x.x and it is different flavour and very nice.

Thank you.

itsgauravkumar
Collaborator
Registered since

Jan 23, 2017

Is 16.x available for everyone now? If yes, is this the same version which was initially released?

John71
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 7, 2017

Exactly, or have you changed something after waiting 26 days from the first exit? Thank you
AndyO
Participant
Registered since

Sep 26, 2017

Should I do an factory reset before of after I update to version 16? or is it even necessary?  

alan123
Participant
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

To be honest I am begining to regret buying the complete system £1500 down and its not much better than the top of the range samsung atmos system we took back because the rear speakers have no updates until 2018 what a joke that was... so I bit the bullet and purchaesd the Bose, i've always wanted to own. so 3 weeks down the line i've been stuggling to get the sound I heard in store.. I've followed all the set up intstructions which were simple.. but there seems to be a rumble/windy distortion in the background.. I adjusted the base and speakers to try and resolve this but to no avail after seeing the issues with the firmware and checking I was on version 15 so I did a factory re set and with a few tweaks I got the most amazing sound deepbase and clear voice on TV and Music.. then made the huge mistake of updating to 16 and its much worse than before as a last ditch attempt to resolve this before it goes for a refund can anyone please help

Sosa
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 3, 2017

Hey Bro, I'm not a professional in sound but I know sound quality a little bit more than usual. I'm going to be honest, when I bought Bose I was in the same boat as you( first time owning one, especially that im not a sound bar person). When I got mines, I had problems with connection, it was so bad I just went on and switched the entire system. After that never had a problem with sound nor connection, even with this updated firmware. A friendly advice, just give them a chance, I'm picky with my sound, once you get tired just return it and let them give you a new one(once you made contact with them on the phone). Bose has so much tech that it's simplicity can be frustrating( I was like that for 2weeks straight). This new update I have no problems with.
V
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Registered since

Nov 30, 2015

I decided to upgrade my Soundtouch 130 from v15 to v16. 

There was not much change, however resetting to factory default and a whole new world of bass was present. It reminded me of when I first bought my system however couldnt pin point why the bass seemed to have lacked over time. 

Running AiQ on V16 removes the bass again, so I dont think the issue is limited to the ST300 and AM300.

I do however feel that running AIQ gives a more spacious sound, so I am now left with the dilemma of spacious sound and no bass or bass and flat sounding soundbar.