Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mattbuk
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 8, 2017

Acoustimass 300 popping noise

My Acoustimass 300 sub makes a random popping noise, almost like some one is walking over a loose paving slab or dropping a slab of concrete on concrete. It happens from various sources, so the YouTube, Amazon, Netflix apps and Virgin Media and PS4 outputs.

I've already had my original Acoustimass 300 replaced for the same reason, but it's still happening.

Do anyone else suffer this or have a fix? Could it be the actual SoundTouch 300 bar that's causing the issue?

84 REPLIES 84
Brian_M
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Re: Acoustimass 300 popping noise

Hi mattbuk,

Thank you for your inquiry. I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue. I'd be happy to assist!

• First, is the Acoustimass 300 Wireless Bass Module operating wirelessly, or with an audio cable connected to the SoundTouch 300 soundbar?
  • Does the issue happen all the time when listening to the system, or just occasionally? 
  • Let's try a full system reset:
    • Turn the soundbar off
    • Unplug the soundbar power cord from the power outlet
    • Unplug the Acoustimass module power cord from the power outlet
    • Wait 30 seconds
    • Reconnect the Acoustimass module power cord
    • Reconnect the soundbar power cord
    • Wait 30 seconds for the system to reboot
    • Retest the system
  • A possible cause of popping sounds could also be due to wireless interference. If you have any electronics nearby that emit wireless signals (such as your Wi-Fi router), please temporarily disconnect these from power. Then, retest the system while these devices are unplugged. This test will let us know if this is the cause of the issue. 

Let us know your results!

Best regards,

Brian

mattbuk
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 8, 2017

Hi Brian,

Thanks for coming back to me and below are my answers:

• It's a wireless connection to the SoundTouch300 soundbar.
  • It happens every day but not all the time i.e. constantly. It will randomly do it, sometimes once or a few within a quick succession of each other.
  • Tried a full restart and as mentioned above, this is a replacement Acoustimass 300 for my original, as I returned it thinking it was faulty due to the same issue.
  • The router is under the the SoundTouch300 as it's located within my TV stand. I'll try turning this off and see how I get on. However if this works, what's a workarond as the router cannot be relocated.

- Matt

Brian_M
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi mattbuk,

Thank you for providing this information. Please let us know if temporarily disabling the router fixes the issue! If it does, and the router cannot be relocated, you may be able to remove, or at least reduce interference by adjusting some of your router's settings. Please see my post towards the end of this related thread for instructions. 

Best regards,

Brian

gsquared
Participant
Registered since

Nov 8, 2017

I had the same problem. Replaced unit. Same issue. Popping sounds coming from sub. Even moving it around the room doesnt help and in theory shouldn't unless you move it far away from your router or in my case mesh points. Its the 2.4ghz channel causing the issue. Try changing the channel from 1 to 6, or 6 to 11, or 11 to 6 depending on your manufacturer they all have preset defaults. In my case changing the channel from 11 to 6 cleared everything up. There are tools to "sniff" the data floating about your house and in my case I was able to see the bose system overlapping the wifi in many tests.

Bosemad
Participant
Registered since

Dec 3, 2017

Im having the same issues with my AM 300, how does one go about 'changing the channel'?

mattbuk
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 8, 2017

I’ve tried changing the channel of my router, but unfortunately hasn’t solved the issue. I’ve even connected the Ethernet cable to the ST300 to turn off it’s WiFi, but the popping still happens on the AM300. Very frustrating!
Brent_B
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

May 16, 2016

Hi Bosemad and mattbuk, 

Our apologies that you're experiencing this. Changing router channels does vary based on the make and model of your router. You'd need to log in and make the change from the interface there.  How far is the AM300 from your soundbar? We don't recommend them being more than 9 m apart. Does moving the AM300 closer to the soundbar help? If the popping is being caused by interference, let's see if we can isolate it. If you have any nearby electronics that communicate wirelsesly (including a router), please try to unplug them and see if the issue clears up. If it does, you should try to reconnect them one at a time to see if one in particular is causing the issue. If you can do this, then re-positioning that particular device may help to clear it up. Please let us know. 

Kind Regards

steevec1
Participant
Registered since

Sep 19, 2017

I am now also getting this random popping noise from the bass module. I have had my sound touch 300 and Acoustimass bass module system for about 6 weeks and worked flawlessly at the start. A few days ago though this random popping noise started. It doesn’t happen all the time but it is extremely frustrating when it does! I have done nothing different from when I first installed it. I have now tried everything possible to fix it like:

turned off the bass module

disconnected, reconnected (wirelessly)

changed my router channels as per the recommendation of another member

updated to the latest software 

moved my router further away from the soundbar/bass module

i have not tried hard wiring it yet but I feel there is no point to that when you have a wireless system

my bass module is about 1 foot away from the soundbar.

Any more suggestions out there please??

frustrating when you pay for a premium product and get performance like this 😤

thanks in advance

mattbuk
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 8, 2017

BOSE has replaced my SoundTouch 300 and Acoustimass 300 and the popping still happens. Unless I am extremely unlucky, I doubt I've received faulty hardware batches on both occasions - however, this doesn't mean it couldn't be resolved with a possible software update. But I don't think enough people are having the issue for BOSE to really care to put resources behind it.

I've changed router channels, plugged the ethernet cable into the ST300 to disable it's WiFi, moved the AM300 to another location and still the popping occurs - it would be nice to be able to see what channel the BOSE setup uses.

As I've had all the units replaced, I can only assume it's an environment/interference issue. However, this is no excuse and should be something BOSE looks into, but as I said above I don't think they really care due to the amount of suffers.

To conclude, I think we just have to accept it.

P.S. I also sent audio clips to BOSE UK, so they've heard the issue in action, as it can sometimes be a little difficult to explain sound noises.