FrankZappa
Registered since

Jun 5, 2016

AirPlay and Soundtouch 20 not working anymore

Since taking the 12.0.9 upgrade on my Soundtouch 20 AirPlay is no longer working. The Soundtouch device is connected to wifi and the Bose app on my iPad can connect to the device to change radio stations etc but the device is not appearing on the AirPlay list. I have two Apple TV devices on the same wifi network and they are working fine via AirPlay . My Bose device is on the same wifi network as the other AirPlay devices (so the issue is not an issue with the router). I've reset the Bose device numerous times but no joy. 
Any ideas, as I only use my Bose for playing music from my iPod via AirPlay, so, as of now, my Bose device is just an expensive brick!

9 REPLIES 9
Bose_-_George_P
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

Re: AirPlay and Soundtouch 20 not working anymore

Hi FrankZappa,
It is very unusual to see AirPlay non-functional on an older product when the soundtouch app is still working normally. It sounds like you have done some great troubleshooting already. Here are some additional steps we would ask that you try out:

1. If the symptoms emerged after a software update then we may have a deeper error on the system itself. Begin with a Factory reset to the system using the steps here: (https://www.soundtouch.com/KnowledgeCenterView#!/feedtype=SINGLE_ARTICLE_DETAIL&id=kA140000000GvFTCA...)  then set it back up to the local network.
  2. Perform a hard reboot to your iPad and any other device you are using as an AirPlay source. iOS devices can be rebooted by holding the home button and the power button together until the Apple logo appears on the screen.
  3. Lastly, Make sure to also reset the router, even if other devices are communicating normally across it.

Thank you. 
microbmen
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 8, 2015

I am having the same issue ... also on 12.0.9 ... also have apple tv's and other devices using AirPlay.   I tried reseting back to factory settings and still no AirPlay... hopefully Bose knows about this and is working on a firmware fix.

Billy
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 4, 2015

Hello
Similar issue here, software version 12.0.9, Soundtouch portable II, since software update displays goes from time to time black and wifi indicater turns off. No connection possible until I push quite ofte on powe button.
Followed the steps mentioned by George, but issue remains
Like Frank Zappa said the Bose device is becomming just an expensive brick..... so I hope Bose is comming quickly with a firmware fix. 
Billy
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 4, 2015

Is it possibe to downgrade to a previous to 12.0.9 firmware in order to bypass the issue?
Bose_-_George_P
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

Billy, If your wi-fi indicator on the SoundTouch portable is turning black that would indicate that the system has gone to Power Save mode. After 20 minutes in network standby mode with no AC power the system will shut down fully to conserve battery. Turning it back on and rebooting it from this state can be a long process of a few full minutes. This is normal.

To prevent this, we would suggest that you keep the AC power connected to the system between uses. This will allow the system to stay on in Network Standby mode indefinitely so that it will respond quickly to the Soundtouch app or on-board buttons. 
If this is happening Even when the AC power is plugged in, then this may instead indicate a hardware issue. In that case you would want to contact Bose support locally to discuss hardware service. Contact info is at: https://www.soundtouch.com/support

FrankZappa
Registered since

Jun 5, 2016

I have completed the factory reset, the router reboot, and the the iPad reboot. All to little benefit. This is a software problem and not a hardware issue.
one thing I've noticed in my investigations. When I log into my router I can see that the Bose device is one of the devices connected ( which is obviously good). But no AirPlay for the Bose on my iPad. If I refresh the wireless channel on the router for the SSID I'm using then AirPlay for the Bose devices appears (and works) on my iPad, and on my iPhone, for a short period of time but then disconnects and disappears again. I've tried setting my router with the auto function set for channels and with channels set to 1. Both end up with the same disconnect results.
Please assist as I'm running out of patience with my 'brick'? If this cannot be resolved then I'll be purchasing another non Bose device to listen to my music going forward.

Billy
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 4, 2015

Hello George,
Thank you for your reply.

The issue is happening even when AC power is plugged in, so I contact your Belgian support colleagues to raise the issue.
Kind regards

wallemon
Registered since

Jun 21, 2016

I have the exact same problem in the States. See my post: https://www.soundtouch.com/CommunityDetail?_escaped_fragment_/feedtype=SINGLE_QUESTION_DETAIL&dc=SoundTouch&criteria=ALLQUESTIONS&id=90633000000CdzaAAC
We have lost AirPlay functionality after the 12.0.6 app update. And since our SoundTouch 20 units do not include Bluetooth, there is no longer a way to play local music files from your iphone to your ST20. Waiting on an app fix from Bose.
wallemon
Registered since

Jun 21, 2016

One clarification. If I put my iOS device into AirPlay mode and select my SoundTouch 20, the player will recognize the action and move itself into AirPlay. So the problem doesn't appear to be in the player, but in the app itself. 
To be clear, I'm now looking for two answers. When is the app going to be fixed and can I add Bluetooth to this older ST20 unit?