Xander
Registered since

Jul 31, 2015

AirPlay stutters - Soundtouch 30.

Hi, I have a Soundtouch 30 which I have owned for about 3 months. I only bought it to use with AirPlay. It has been quite unreliable in the few times I have used it with the playback stuttering and cutting out intermittently. This happens with both my I phone 4s which is fully up to date and only about 6 months old and also with my I pad Air 2 which is also 6 months old. My internet is provided by Virgin and I have largest package with fastest broadband available. The Soundtouch unit is directly below the router. Sometimes my I phone loses the Bose system in the AirPlay device menu too? I am thinking about returning it as not fit for purpose and getting a Bluetooth unit instead. Any suggestions before I put it back in the box? Thanks Alex
5 REPLIES 5
Bose_-_George_P
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

Re: AirPlay stutters - Soundtouch 30.

Hi Xander, Here are a couple of things to investigate with a symptom like this:

1. Does the Main router for your home broadcast more than one network name (SSID) for your devices to connect to? This could sometimes show up as a "Guest" or "5G" version of the normal network.If your hardware is set to change between these automatically it could cause a problem of this sort.
  2. Does your Wi-Fi network use multiple access points to expand it's range? Any extenders, repeaters, Airport Express, or similar hardware can sometimes create symptoms like this. If so, please let us know the brand and model # on this hardware and we can look into it further from there.
  3. Even if distance to the router seems like a non-issue, we should doulbe check to make sure the SoundTouch is reporting a strong RSSI. See: "Determining the received signal strength" - An RSSI of "good" or "great" should be more than sufficient.

Let us know these answers along with the brand and model # of the main router you are using. We can work from there. Thank you
Xander
Registered since

Jul 31, 2015

Hi, apologies for my late reply but just don't have the time to keep playing with this system to get it working. Just shouldn't need to have this level of aggravation after spending over £600 on a speaker. I did however find that the signal strength was "great" as expected and our main router has only one ID for devices to connect to. We pay a lot of money for the fastest and most reliable broadband available with a Virgin highest spec package. We have Virgin TiVo with most current Netgear Superhub router. We don't have any range extenders, repeaters or anything else that could interfere with signal. I don't use the Soundtouch hardly ever due to being so frustrated with its performance but have got it back out to resolve issues once and for all or take action to get my money back for it. I have noticed since testing speaker again that the radio also has issues!! Since the AirPlay wouldn't play correctly I thought I would just use it as a radio temporarily but even that doesn't work! Radio will intermittently cut out? Sometimes will display a white square on display sometimes not. Sometimes will cut out for a few seconds or couple of minutes or just not come back on at all? I am trying to be calm and work through issues and I do really appreciate your help and Bose customer services and tech support seem to be on point but this unit is really poor and I need to get it resolved now before I kiss goodbye to my £600. I need to know who to take the fight to. Is it Bose for making the nightmare thing or Currys who I'm sure won't care and will blame my Wifi signal or some rubbish for its poor performance. Please let me know the next step.
Thanks
Alex
Bose_-_George_P
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

HI Alex, 

Thank you for your responses to our earlier questions. If the internet radio also has difficulty then that tells us that this issue isn't AirPlay specific. 

Your post mentions a Netgear Superhub router provided by your Virgin Media. Can you let us know the exact model # from that device? (usually a number printed on the router or it's manual in the format of VMDG*** or something similar.) We want to be sure we are looking up the correct piece of hardware before we make any suggestions regarding it. 

If possible, eliminating Wi-Fi from the equation would also be a good next step. We can do this with a temporary Ethernet connection directly to the router to see if the same problems occur in this configuration. Let us know the result of this test. 

Thank you. 

bradley_fm
Registered since

Oct 7, 2015

What is the solution for this problem?
Purchase a soundtouch 20 two months ago and for a week after a system update have the same problems, to play radio stations after 5 to 10 minutes it stops and the stop sign appears on the screen.
Thomas_O
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 22, 2015

bradley_fm,
Sorry the internet radio is giving you trouble. Let me grab some further information:

• I can see on your file that you also have Deezer and Spotify linked to your account – do these also have the same intermittency as the radio?  
  • Is the intermittency the same on all radio stations, or only a select few?
  • The “stop sign” you refer to - is this the symbol of the hand overlaid by a circle with a diagonal line? When it appears, do you have to take any action, or will the radio start playing again on its own?
  • How far is the system from your router? Check the signal strength, or RSSI, of the system (Determining the received signal strength) to be sure the system has a strong connection.
  • Lastly, what is the make and model of your router? This can be helpful in determining any possible settings which may need to be changed.

Thank you for any information you can provide,